SL5 to SL3-S Conversion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by Grentz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1 of 12
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, today was my chance to get the SL3-s mounted!

I am also in the process of adding another receiver thanks to the new found ability with the SWM ;)

Outside
    To get in detail, I also have before and after shots of my signal levels at the end of this post. I did not do any tweaking or adjustments, just switched the LNB head. So without further waiting, before shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SL3-s after shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and for those curious, it is about 3 stories in the air (maybe a bit more ;) ). Install was fairly simply, just popped off the old LNB and put on the new. 2 bolts and 1 coax.

Inside
    I diplexed OTA in two places with Holland DPD2 diplexers. At first I thought they were not working, but then it started working fine with the SWM. Here is a fairly accurate drawing for what I did, my OTA comes into the house at a different place which is why I use two sets of diplexers. Also, the OTA side has a lot more items, it is just simplified in this diagram. The second receiver has a RF modulator on it that feeds the rest of the TVs connected in the OTA block (about 4 others) which seems to be working great!

[​IMG]

Signal Strengths Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall a few points gained here, a few down there, probably just from the give that the head has in the mount. In any event still very good and I am very pleased! Thanks again so much to Directv and the team at DBSTalk, this product is going to get a lot of use at my house ;)

2. Nov 1, 2008 #2 of 12
    HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Congrats. Too high for me though !

3. Nov 1, 2008 #3 of 12
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Thanks! You see why I was wanting to get it before it started to snow! :p

Just got off the phone with Directv ordering another HD-DVR as well! :D

4. Nov 2, 2008 #4 of 12
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Very Nice! I like the lake shot too!

Where can I get a one input 6 ouput splitter from the PI?

5. Nov 2, 2008 #5 of 12
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Very interesting; thanks for the write-up. :)

6. Nov 2, 2008 #6 of 12
    HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    SolidSignal.com is where I got my 4-way splitter. Its the SWS-4, they also sell an SWS-8. I don't recall seeing a 6-way. One of the other threads in this private forum talks about splitters that are just as good, but cheaper than the SWS ones.

7. Nov 2, 2008 #7 of 12
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have not found any 6 way wideband splitters that would seemingly work with the SWM. They are pretty rare even in the OTA bands.

Best might be to do a 4 way and then 2x 2 ways.

The Skywalker 2 way works wonderfully and is cheaper than the SWS-2.

8. Nov 2, 2008 #8 of 12
    Dirac

Dirac Legend

Apr 23, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful--quality photography, bet DirecTV would love that photo for their promotions. Nice work! Makes me miss the northland... until I think about what -30 feels like. :D

9. Nov 2, 2008 #9 of 12
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ...and performance has been field-tested to prove excellent results in signal strength passthrough and reliablity.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, I am using it with my setup and noticed no difference with it or without it on my SWM signal levels :)

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ....and I've been running the Skywalkers now for over a year with steady results..

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Just got my second receiver in today, its an HR22 as well!

Got it all setup and all went well. Was having some troubles with it not seeing some channels and taking a LONG time to change channels, but unplugging and plugging in the SWM PI made it work fine.

Overall very happy! Thanks again to everyone that made this work out ;)