Slick interface programming that should be adopted universally

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Dec 13, 2019.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The end of year and holidays bring expanded trials of many streaming services, enhanced particularly this year/season by the upcoming demise of Playstation Vue. Youtubetv in particular raised their trial period from 2 to 3 weeks; but what is interesting is while taking advantage is to note some of the more unique interfaces and slick trick/play features that some of the providers have come up with. Here are a couple that I've run into in the past month or so that have really stood out.

1. Youtubetv and their visual scan during fast- forward and rewind. This stands out simply because virtually every other networked dvr system out there relies on users guessing just how much pressing of the ff or rew button will get one xx seconds in one direction or the other. One can easily nail the return to the program after adverts every time. (On roku at a minimum).

2. Philo has a feature where one can either join the live program in progress/live or from the beginning (it's a default setting per user) and where by using a long pressing of the rew or ff button can jump back to the beginning of any live program or jump to the current live playing. Now how slick is that? (Also has visual scan on roku).

I'll post some other 'trick play' features that stand out as I run into them. It does go to show that some folks are 'thinking outside the stream' so to speak.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    PSVue had a full screen view of what you were FFing/REWing thru at least on the streaming devices I was using. That said, I’ve been using YTTV for the past several days and honestly prefer their implementation and it seems much more smooth and fluid than PSVue ever was. I also like the overall UI of YTTV better than PSVue. One nice feature is the last 4 channels that you tuned are available to quickly go back to by pressing down twice. Also when using the ATV 4k the thumbnails of the current live channels in the guide are actually “live”. Honestly lots to like in the YTTV interface. They are setting the bar for what AT&T Live is going to have to compete with in terms of UI.

Rich likes this.
  3. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    If you're going to say you had that in psvue, then please identify which device and f/w it was using. It didn't work on roku, which is over 55% of streaming users.

4. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    FireTV (various flavors), Nvidia Shield, ATV 4 k. Not that it matters much anymore...

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I were to switch to one of the streaming services I would want quad PIP, the ability to watch whatever four channels you want at the same time. Great for sports. Watch a combination of different sports at once.

If you have an Apple TV go to the ESPN app to see what quad PIP looks like.

6. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    PSVue running on the ATV 4k does quad PIP. I’ve been using it this NFL season. Unfortunately PSVue is done as of the end of Jan. I’m switching to YTTV. No quad PIP currently, and no NFL Network or RedZone Channel, but the overall UI experience, IMO, is much better than PSVue. Hopefully things will change wrt quad PIP and the NFL Network on YTTV before the start of the next NFL season. If not I’ll have to look for alternatives but I’ll worry about that closer to September of next year...

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m surprised more apps don’t support it. I’ve been trying to get the NHL and MLB to add it to their ATV apps. I wish TV’s themselves supported it, then you could feed 4 sources to the 4 HDMI inputs and have the TV do it. But having an app do it is so much easier and less complicated to do for the average user. Of course we’re not the average user. :)

mjwagner likes this.
  8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    LOL...we are definitely not the average user. The way PSVue implemented it was pretty slick and very simple to use. I hope YTTV does something similar by next NFL season.

grover517 likes this.
  9. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Atlanta &...
    Being able to see the thumbs when FF on YTTV is so good, I dropped Hulu without commercials, it is just so easy to skip commercials.

B. Shoe and grover517 like this.