1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline 5 LNB5 installation question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by darylcoble, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1 of 19
    darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    I have a place with previous cable installation thru out the house that was used by the original owner with a local cable tv provider. I have purchased a Slimline 5LNB directtv dish with 4 connections for cables on the LNB. I also have bought a power inserter and a swm 4 way splitter SWM (green), not sure if I need these or not. When the 4 way is used the only sat signal I get is from the first connection and the other three get nothing. I've also tried hooking up the power inserter on the main port of the 4 port side going into the power to swm and the ird to the receiver (careful not to fry the swm). After that was hooked up the other receiever still wouldn't get any signal.

I have tried a coupler with the other 3 lines leading in the house and nothing seems to have a signal.

I thought I could run lines from the LNB to the 4 cable lines already run to the outside of the house. Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks so much in advance for your help with this issue.

2. Dec 2, 2013 #2 of 19
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You need a SWiM8

3. Dec 2, 2013 #3 of 19
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct;

The four output LNBF you purchased is a legacy (non-SWiM) model and you're trying to use it as though it were a SWiM-LNB type. Its not possible.

You going to need to run all four lines to an external SWiM-8 or -16 module if you want to use it in a SWiM installation.

4. Dec 2, 2013 #4 of 19
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You're attempting to merge two different technologies. The Slimline dish with 4 outputs does not have SWM built into it.
    Your choices are:

- Run 4 lines from your existing dish directly to the various receivers in your home (DVR's will need two lines to them using this methodology)
    - Change the LNB on the dish to a SWM LNB, and utilize the Power Inserter and 4 way splitter. You will only need to run one line per DVR using this methodology
    - Buy a SWM8 or SWM16 multiswitch, Run the 4 lines from your existing dish to the multiswitch and then connect the multi-switch to the splitter. You will only need one line per DVR using this methodology.

5. Dec 2, 2013 #5 of 19
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And for the first option highlighted above, which is called a legacy installation, you can run the four lines from the dish to a conventional voltage/tone + voltage multiswitch like a WB68 if you need more lines than the four original from the dish.

Also remember to use B-Band Converters (BBCs) on the coax lines connected to any HR receivers in a legacy installation.

Nor can any WH networking take place over the coax cable runs in legacy installations, but must be done by separate ethernet networking making for an "unsupported" installation in this regard.

6. Dec 2, 2013 #6 of 19
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sicne we are being "picky" let's also mention that the 23 series HD or HDDVRs do not require BBCs :righton:

7. Dec 2, 2013 #7 of 19
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well actually we can extend our "picky-ness" a step beyond even this by reminding that only pre-H-25 model HD receivers and DVRs are capable of being used in legacy installs.

The H-25 and Genies are SWiM only ... :D

8. Dec 3, 2013 #8 of 19
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    And that the swm8/16s require the 29 volt power inserter, but a swm lnb can use either the 21 or 29 volt model.

9. darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    Thanks to all who provided information, it's greatly appreciated. Take care.

10. darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    When the 4 way swm splitter is used the only sat signal I get is from the first connection and I do understand the mixing of the technologies now, I'm using the (legacy) straight from the lnb. I have bought a few couplers and run two more lines from the lnb over to two of the lines leading into the house from previous cable install and when I hook up the IRD, it doesn't detect the sat signal. Any ideas??

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As I read through this thread, you're missing SWiM, so you can't use any splitters.
    You need to either change the LNB to a SWiM LNB [single output] or get a SWM8 and run four coax from the legacy LNB to the SWM8 "and then" you can use the PI and splitters.

You only get signals from the splitter on one port because the splitter only passes DC power on one port and legacy LNBs require tune voltage on each coax.

LNB: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=sl5-swm&d=directv-sl5-swm-slimline-single-wire-ka/ku-five-lnb-with-built-in-multiswitch-%28sl5-swm%29

SWM8: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=swm-8-nopower&d=directv-swm-8-single-wire-multi-switch-%288-channel%29-%28swm-8%29&sku=7440900235

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    not to sound rude, but if you indeed understood both technologies you would know that you can't use splitters with legacy system.

13. darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    I was using the splitter before until I found a coupler, I did find a coupler this morning and so I removed the splitter and put in the coupler and the tv signal is still fine upstairs in the living room. I still need to get two more couplers. I tried to hook up the other three previous cable lines with another line from the dish and I can't get a signal downstairs, but I'm not sure that the cable I used from the dish lnb was rg6 either if that makes any difference.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    how are you trying to connect the three remaining cables with one coming off the LNB?

15. darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    I was just using a second coupler that I have to connect the other three cable lines to the line running to the lnb. Unfortunately the ird downstairs says no satellite signal. There may be a splitter somewhere in the house that I haven't seen yet or something else.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm confused by the TS' setup here;

Is a SWiM LNB being used or legacy type?

If legacy then except when paralleling multiswitches, no splitting is permitted as peds says.

17. darylcoble

darylcoble New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    iowa
    I have an SL5 with 4 lnb on it. I have a couple of lines from the lnb to two of the four lines already run in the house from the cable company. The ird works great in the living room, but I can't seem to get a signal downstairs for some reason.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you know where all the coax comes Out in the house? How many points are there? Have you take the cover plates off to see what's behind them?

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, and make sure there are no hidden CATV splitters or some other in those remaining lines. Especially the ones leading to the downstairs area be sure go straight to the receiver locations.