1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slimline dish mounting question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by blong579, Mar 28, 2012.

1. blong579

blong579 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Im switching form a sd dish to a slimline dish for hd and a hd dvr. My existing dish is mounted to my power pole about 8 feet behind my house. This is an 8ft tall pole that is the same as the phone and power company use. Since I live in a double wide mobile home this pole has my power meter and all installed on lt. When my straight out of high school installer came out last week he said he was unable to mount the new dish in the same place as the old dish (on the power pole). He said the new dish must be mounted on a mono pole or the wind would knock it out of adjustment since its a much bigger dish. We talked about putting it somewhere that did not require a new pole to be put in the ground and he said his superviser said all mobile home installs must be put on a pole and since the ground was so wet he was unable to do it that day.
    I dont want yet another pole in my yard. After talking with D* they said I can have it any where I want it. Can somebody please tell me if a new pole is needed for some odd reason or should the new dish be able to be mounted where my old one is. Thanks for any help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The new dish is larger, and I doubt the utility pole offers enough triangulation for the struts to be of much use.
    I had mine on a 2" OD pole, which didn't need the struts, because the dish mounted directly to the pole and didn't use the mast.

3. blong579

blong579 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2006
    He kept telling me it was for support and Im not understanding how a 2" pole can provide more support than my utility pole.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The dish is larger, and so the loading on the mast is the problem. The struts are to stabilize the mast, none of this is needed when you remove the mast, and mount the dish [head] directly on a 2" pole.

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    It's physics and the principle of a Lever. ;)

Or what VOS said. ;);)

Doctor j

6. blong579

blong579 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Ok so I the problem is not with the strength of my utility pole but in the extra weight put on the brackets witch would cause them to bend in the wind like an long tree branch? So is there some sort of special supports that can be used to give the dish the extra support?

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You're getting the idea here. It was NEVER the utility pole, as that sucker isn't going anywhere. :lol:
    The struts are what's needed. "You might" be able to get some triangulation out of them if they could attach to both sides of the pole, but the wider they are apart, the better they work.

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The tech will fail a QC for the job and get himself in some hot water if he mounts it to the utility pole. There is no good way to mount a KaKu to a mobile home, unless you have an asphalt roof with real (and sturdy) studs as well as a decent roof deck. The policy that the tech is following is in place with your best interest in mind as a customer. Ka signals (which you're not using right now) are much more sensitive to even very slight misalignment. So the utility pole isn't a great location either, regardless of policy. The best mount for your situation is a 2" OD pole mount. It's very likely that once installed (properly), it won't need to be touched for many years. On the utility pole, you're going to be needing (at the very least) an annual alignment.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm kinda surprised the TS was allowed to put the dish on a utility pole in the first place. That's one place I've never seen a dish. On a side note, I'm seeing a lot more dishes on the sides of houses instead of the roofs. Just saw two new installs today, both on the sides.

Rich

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What about a non penetrating roof mount?

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Not unless the roof is flat ;) Like it's nickname, it's a sled :lol:

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Ive seen some non penetrating mounts that go over the peak of the roof to both sides, I assume they can be adjusted to match the pitch of the roof.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, we have some commercial installs for the lottery with those. Basically two sleds bolted together like a hinge. Lay it on the peak, and tighten the bolts.

14. blong579

blong579 Cool Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Thanks guys, that makes more sense than my pole not being strong enough for such a large disk and it has to be put on another pole because his boss said so. Now when im having to weedeat around yet another pole I know its because it was done right and not just because the contractor wanted to make more money from D*. Now I just hope my new hd dvr is half as good as my old R10 Tivo that im replacing. After having to banishing my R15 to the play room because it was so slow to respond im keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the help.

15. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Theres another can of worms. Ask more questions.

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Poles are overhead. Not only doesn't Directv pay for them, but the tech doesn't get paid for the extra time or labor either. He's doing it because it's the best install he can do for you.