1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline on Antenna tower

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Christopher Gould, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Is it possible? I have a 40' tripod type tower concreted in plus attached to house about 20' up so it very stable. I currently have 2 24" dishes attached to the tower using ubolts though the foot of the mounts with no problems. Slimline would be mounted between the house attachment and the ground so that would be stable, but do they make ubolts for the slimline? I would also want two monopoles. Is this out of the question?

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Doesn't sound impossible, in fact sounds quite doable especially with the use of the monopoles. Be sure the ubolts are not going to rotate and the monopoles form a good tripod of their own and you should be great.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    not sure if they make specific U-Bolts?

If none can be found, you could always try to make your own from "3/8" Galvanized All-Thread" and buy "1/2" steel flat stock (thats readily available from Home Depot or Lowe's) first bend a "U" thats has the same circumference the tower tubbing has and cut to desired length. then on the steel flat stock, drill two 3/8" holes for the U-blot to feed through it. then for finishing touches, paint with a durable exterior paint to prevent rusting. allow to dry over night and mount the dish to your desired location.

just repeat the process for the base plate and the two monopoles.

Good Luck

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    When I saw the title of this thread I was incredulous but it sounds like you're doing it right.

5. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    compared to the standard foot, how big is the slimline foot. how much of a differance is there in the whole pattern. ubolts are fine on the 24" dishes, i'm just afraid that the slimline foot will be to big.

6. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    if the ubolt wouldn't work i was also thinking of get a 1/4" piece of sheet steel and ubolting it to the tower and using standard bolts thought the foot to the steel and the monopoles.

7. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007

Good Idea,

to add to your idea, i would suggest that the sheet steel should be made to span the distance between two out of the three tower's poles. U-Bolt the two ends to the poles. so that would give you a flat mounting position of the base in the middle of the 1/4" plate. then use regular Galvanized bolts for the base mount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.