DBSTalk Forum banner

Slimline setup problems

10K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  highdefjeff 
#1 ·
Presently have a H-20 receiver and a 3-LNB (18x20) dish Switch type 02 Multi switch. The LNB is BSNA4-2028. All works fine. Now I want to get the HD channels so I got a Slimline Dish with a SWM SL3S4NR2-01 LNB
I got the correct dish settings for my zip code 39 elevation and 67 tilt. I can't get any signal. Went through setup and am not having any luck. Can't get any signal at all. I have the dishes on poles right beside each other. I have tried moving the azimuth very slowly back and forth but still can't get anything. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Also, I have a b band converter installed. When I go to setup and select the slimline 3 dish and the swm switch type, it says do not use b band converter. So I removed it and tried and still I get no signal. I am trying on sat 101 which has 32 transponders.

#6 ·
Correct, and trying to run it without the power inserter may cause the LNB to try to draw to much current from the receiver damaging its power supply. Get the power inserter to power the LNB, and then you should be good to go.

#11 ·
Inserter came today. Installed it and still can't get a signal. Tried changing the elevation in increments of a few degrees from 20 to 50. Still couldn't pick up anything. Should I try buying one of those cheap signal meters to at least know I am properly aligned? Could the LNB be the problem?

#12 ·
Are you installing it in the same location as the old dish? Pointing it the same direction?
If the pole is plumb, which it needs to be, you can preset the tilt and elevation, tune in a transponder on 101, and just sweep the whole mount on the pole to find the azimuth, and then lock it down and peak.
Dont try to aim it using the 99 or 103 satellites until you get 101 at least to 90.

#13 ·
It is 3 feet away from the other dish. Pole is plumb. Used the dish pointing settings 39 & 67. Swept it left and right at slight increments and waiting a few seconds in between. TV and receiver on and set to signal meter. I get nothing. Also I am at sat 101.

#15 ·
Here is what I did.
Went to sat setup screen
Put in slimline 3 and swm
went to dish pointing and got 39 & 67
went to signal meter
installed inserter with power to swm connected to dish and signal to IRD to receiver
Removed coax from old oval dish & connected to slimline dish.
adjusted dish right to left and back at an inch or two increments- got nothing
lowered to 37 & tried
lowered to 35 & tried
lowered to 32 & tried etc. up and down.

#21 ·
Yep,,, I agree. I havent run across a bad lnb yet, but guess its possible. Would look more at the coax connections new to the system. Maybe test the voltage at the lnb connector to see if its what the power inserter is supposed to be putting out, then make sure the jumper coax from the power inserter to the receiver does not have a small short. Polorization is tilt. Measured from 0. Directv might label it, or number it differently.

#22 ·
Got it figured out. I had the wrong dishtype selected. I had to select Slimline-3S (SWM). Angles changed with that dish type to 35 & 60. Eyeballed the azimuth to copy the oval dish. Went to signal meter and had 50 on a couple transponders on sat 101. Called over my neighbor and fine tuned them the rest of the way. :grin:

#23 ·
I have been noticing at times the picture breaks up. I tried fine tuning the dish. I adjusted the dish using the bolt on the dial until I lose the pic then go the other way until I lose it and then set it in the middle. Did that on both tilt and azimth. Also moved it side to side. I had numbers in the 90's on 101 and even some at 100. The picture doesn't go out alot just enough to be annoying. I had that happen on the old dish, but it was alot worse, and it turned out to be the LNB. Any ideas?

#24 ·
Molerj said:
I have been noticing at times the picture breaks up. I tried fine tuning the dish. I adjusted the dish using the bolt on the dial until I lose the pic then go the other way until I lose it and then set it in the middle. Did that on both tilt and azimth. Also moved it side to side. I had numbers in the 90's on 101 and even some at 100. The picture doesn't go out alot just enough to be annoying. I had that happen on the old dish, but it was alot worse, and it turned out to be the LNB. Any ideas?
Now that you are watching HD, your signals are coming from the 99 and 103 sats. While you are on the signal strength screen, press the select button and the receiver will move to the next sat. What are you getting on the 99c, 103ca and 103cb and the SWM ?
The 99s and 103s are locals and are very irradic in numbers and slow to come to the screen. I always just ignore them for alignment purposes.

#26 ·
You need to realign your dish, using a transponder on 103ca. You are still way off. Use the meter in the receiver set to a single transponder to peak it. Once peaked on 103ca (signals should be no lower than 85), if 99c doesnt come in, its either blocked by a tree, the pole its mounted on is not plumb, the tilt is set wrong, or the lnb is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.