Sling Adapter on V722K

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Catasetumkid, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    We bought a Dish Sling Adapter from Amazon last week. Our goal was to access and control our receiver from the Internet so that we could set timers, watch recorded programs, etc. from anywhere via WIFI using the Dish Anywhere app on a phone, iPad, PC, and tablet. Today we plugged the Sling Adapter into our Dish VIP722K receiver. The light on the Sling adapter came on. The Dish Anywhere app running on an iPad showed a connection to our Dish receiver, but we could not watch recorded programming, watch live TV, or set new timers. In a text chat with Dish support we were assured that the Sling adapter was supported and that we needed to call the broadband support desk at Dish for help.

The tech at Dish broadband support told us that Sling adapters no longer work with any Dish receivers. This seems to be a recent development, but he could not provide the date when it went into effect or a link to a document explaining the change. He told us that if we need the functionality that was provided by a Sling adapter we would need a new receiver - either a Hopper or a Hopper 3 with built in Sling capability. Either of the Hoppers will involve an installation fee, additional monthly fees, and the hassle of migrating our current library of recordings to a hard drive that can be attached to the Hopper. Is this the way Dish typically does business? Silently de-supporting hardware? Is anyone currently using an older Dish receiver with a Sling adapter?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Very recent ... unfortunately hardware from nearly a decade ago can't be supported forever. Sling is built in to the second and third generation Hoppers.

Transferring programs isn't too difficult. Did they make you an offer for Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3 upgrade?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It is not a hassle but very good feature what DTV people asking for a decade ! Anyone who are care about own library, using EHD for that, not internal HDD.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have a 211k and no internet options either, so I get Dish Anywhere off my Fire Stick. Sling in also available via the Fire Stick or Roku. So that is another option.

5. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    They didn't make us an offer, sadly. The very annoying thing about all this is that we searched the internet before buying the Sling Adapter last week! And even chatted with them, and I believe my husband even called them - we were told it worked! So we buy a $50 gizmo that is useless!? Gee thanks Dish! Grrrr.

6. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Thanks, we'll check that out (meaning my husband will - ha ha)!

7. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    We were told that we could have it work off You Tube, Roku or any steaming device along with the Sling Adapter...So you understand my hesitation to go buy something else now. I do appreciate hearing about your experience, though! This whole thing started because I am going to need my college basketball games when we get on a cruise ship in February. <sigh>...have to escape the worst part of winter!

8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    My 211k is owned and I have everything set up the way I want, so moving to the Hopper with no fees and adding a OTA tuner dongle and setting up another HDD, was not to my liking. I had a Roku, so I just bought a single Firestick for $15 on sale. It gives me the Dish Anywhere app. I did not need Sling, but it is available if I wanted it.

9. Sep 4, 2019 #9 of 13
    Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung Godfather

May 8, 2005
    That’s odd. I just tried accessing the sling adapter on my 722k from the Dish Anywhere app on my iPad and I was able to watch live TV and recorded shows.

10. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    I can watch programs on my iPad with a sling adapter that u plug into a USB port on the VIP722 receiver

11. Catasetumkid

Catasetumkid New Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Well, we gave up and ended up going for the Hopper 3. It works! :)

Dang The Hung likes this.
  12. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    When did this happen??

I still have my Sling adapter connected to my 722k an still works fine.

So what is the truth here? Is it going to stop working? or is it that anyone who gets a 722k wont be able to plug an play w/ the adapter because the current fw won't allow it????

How do you sling into a 211k? I wasn't aware the sling adapter would work on a 211k. So I bought an actual "SlingBox" an connected that to my 211k, works even better than the sling adapter on my 722k. Albeit w/ a different app, the Sling app vs Dish anywhere.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A couple of people above say theirs still works. Apparently the situation is fluid.