1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling Feature??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DO4ISU, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DO4ISU

DO4ISU Mentor

May 22, 2007
    Just wondering...

But does anyone think that DirecTV will ever offer a Sling feature on their receivers? Maybe something similar to Dish.

2. stevenjr

stevenjr Legend

Dec 22, 2006
    I don't think so. There was some type of purchase/merger between Echo Star and Sling Media, which is why the new Dish receivers have the new feature.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm moving this to the General DIRECTV forum.

4. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Looks like you can put a "sling feature" on just about anything you want for more info.;)

http://www.slingmedia.com/

5. DishTSR3Mentor

DishTSR3Mentor Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DirecTv having an in-line Sling feature is NEVER going to happen because Dish Network owns Sling.....

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I don't see DirecTV making this a built in feature of the box since IMHO the demand for this isn't really there. Folks that do want this feature can go out and purchase a Slingbox and add it onto an existing receiver if needed.

Also, the way some ISP's are going people might not be able to afford the bandwidth charges that would allow them to use a Slingbox on their connection.

7. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I don't think it would happen, but Sling is making new cable boxes "Sling Loaded" and remember Echostar owns Sling not Dish. It's my understanding they split the two companies apart about 9 months ago.

8. crendall

crendall Legend

Jun 26, 2006
  9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

That's good for your inhome network. can only view recorded content and need a fairly robust PC in order to use it. With Sling you can view content over the internet, watch live or recorded content, bascially do anything remotely to the box that you can do in person. The downside it that it take over the set top box completly where DirecTV2PC doesn't.

10. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    An issue with Direct2PC is that the video stream from the receiver is uncompressed so it uses a lot of bandwidth. Sling devices are compressing the stream so that it can be viewed over an internet connection not just over your home network. As noted in another thread Direct2PC uses enough bandwidth that even some home networks choke on the stream even though they have much greater bandwidth than most internet connections.

11. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    And the DRM is stifling:mad:

12. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Demand isn't there because no one really knows too much about it. People are always amazed when I show them my Slingplayer running on my Treo 800w. The opportunity was/is there to basically be the *new* Tivo, but they just haven't found a way to create the buzz. And since they are now own by Charlie (Dish), I doubt they will.

Very True. I guess AT&T Wireless is getting scare of Sling Iphone app.

13. evilquik

evilquik Cool Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I have had my slingbox for a few years. Its absolutely amazing. I paid 100 bucks for it. Thats a steal if you ask me. Very shocking that they don't charge a monthly fee or anything. Now you can login via sling.com as well so you don't have to download the software on the remote machine. I let a few of my friends use it as well. In the past I been sitting at my house and the channel change because my friend is at work watching a certain game etc...

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Especially since anyone with dual monitors is considered a criminal, and isn't even allowed to use the software.

15. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I have had my Slingbox for a couple of years now. Love it when I go on vacation and can view my locals sports, via my laptop. Plus, when I am at home I use it to view programing on any computer in the house, from my HR20-700. A Slingbox is well worth the investment, and it would be a nice feature to have in a receiver, but doubt if we will ever see it.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You won't see a Sling built into them, and I'd say the chances of seeing a sling like ability is only small, but possible... But I'd say, just go buy a sling box. They are awesome...

17. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I agree. My laptop (HP ZV5000) MIGHT work if not for a NON compatible Digital monitor.:mad:

18. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    The DRM is because it's an uncompressed digital signal. That requires analog, or HDCP digital.

If the video quality was what a Sling gives you, there would be no DRM.

Tradeoffs.

19. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    In D's defense though the DRM is a requirement of the studios, etc not just a D* requirement. I'm sure they would prefer to remove that extra bit of complexity as well.

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It's uncompressed after DirecTV's compression. It's not like we're talking Blu-ray quality stuff here.