Sling Needs to Cut the Cord From Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Wilf, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1 of 10
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Interesting article from Bloomberg: Sling Needs to Cut the Cord From Dish
    "As Charlie Ergen drags his feet in finding a deal for Dish Network Corp., it's becoming clear that Sling TV especially deserves a new home sooner rather than later. "

2. Aug 6, 2017 #2 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As long as DISH's number one investor is happy the rest are just along for the ride. Bloomberg should worry less about DISH.

Sling would not exist without the backing of DISH ... DIRECTV NOW would not exist without the backing of AT&T|DIRECTV. The thought of Sling leaving DISH is absurd on two levels. First, they would not survive on their own and second they are not a partnership with DISH they are fully owned and operated by DISH. Cutting the cord from DISH is not an option.

DishnetSuperfan and camo like this.
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #3 of 10
    jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Totally disagree with your James. I have been saying this for a while on another blog. "You cannot love two masters, you will love one and hate the other." Not to sound too church like but the quote applies to both Sling and Directv Now. Neither service will become the go-to streaming service while their owners/management are afraid of what subscribers of their satellite service think.

You already know that many satellite subscribers are upset that Dish and Directv offer streamers cheaper prices than what they are being charged. (I know from my own experience that I pay $35 a month for more channels on Directv Now than I paid over a $110 for.)
    Directv is trying to make sat subscribers happy by offering the same channels online that streamers are getting. Foolish. make it two totally different divisions with separate heads and visions.

Neither group, Dish or Directv is pushing the developmental envelope in streaming because they are hung up worrying about their satellite groups. Playstation Vue and now Hulu and Youtube are going to run away from the two. Not at all surprised that business analyst are now seeing the same issue.

4. Aug 7, 2017 #4 of 10
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing packages. Is the "$110" all programming or does it also include equipment? How many simultaneous streams can you watch and record for $110 vs $35? Which channels are missing and unavailable from DIRECTV NOW? One is not getting the same service at a lower price.

How well are providers other than DISH and DIRECTV NOW doing at actually getting content to carry? DISH and DIRECTV can leverage their current subscriber base to try to convince programmers to agree to OTT carriage. What leverage do the new companies have?

Don't forget that one of the stated purposes for AT&T's purchase of DIRECTV was to gain the customer base. They wanted the additional millions of customers in their pocket as leverage when making OTT deals. Analysts wanting to split the OTTs from the satellite are ignoring that leverage.

5. Aug 7, 2017 #5 of 10
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Honestly, you don’t get the economics and how they are positioning themselves if you think DIRECTV having the Anywhere platforms like every other provider has anything to do with DIRECTV now.

And the only reason DIRECTV now costs what it does is because of DIRECTV having their channels in its regular platform. Otherwise your DIRECTV now prices would be massively higher and you’d have less channels, a lot less, or it would also have taken a lot longer to get this many channels... either way, without the bigger company using its synergies and current contracts to make DIRECTV now happen as it has, it and sling as well would be in a world of hurt, and they’d be trying to merge with ps vue to survive. Realize splitting would require them to hire everyone fresh, which is a massive cost in its own right, rather than using the same people who’s costs ar already paid for by another system. Its still highly integrated...

How many real streaming companies are there other than sling and DIRECTV now and ps vue? I can’t name one.... might want to think about why no one else has been able to even scratch the market... and how those three are surviving.

And your service with DIRECTV now is not at all anywhere near as capable as a DIRECTV service can be. There’s a massive divide between the two. It’s unimportant to plenty of people, but the divide is there overall and for the masses.

6. Aug 8, 2017 #6 of 10
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I think Dish and ATT/DTV both see the future in OTT, and are carefully building SlingTV and DTVN towards that future. I see it as akin to building a new house before moving out of your existing house. Right now, they both have smaller "summer homes" that they're expanding, and little by little they'll spend more time there than they do at the main house, until it reaches a tipping point where the houses are equal as more of their "belongings" (customers) end up staying at the new house along with the new "belongings", instead of the old house. At some point after that, the old house will no longer be tenable to maintain and will be sold. And no, I don't expect that to happen in a hurry by any means...

7. Aug 9, 2017 #7 of 10
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I disagree... Sort of... I agree they will get closer to an equilibrium point, but I dont see them ever divesting of sat delivery. Either company. The bandwidth is to much and to valuable and so much cheaper to deploy.

Cable will probably move to an all over the top solution but it still will use the same backbone so it won’t be so obvious to the customer...

8. Aug 9, 2017 #8 of 10
    NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I can foresee Dish and DTV divesting their DBS segments in favor of OTT at some point when their infrastructure becomes too expensive to maintain for the return. A smaller, leaner buyer might still keep it alive though, at least for awhile. I suspect when the under developement LEO high speed Internet services become widespread, that's the point where OTT will really take off.

9. Aug 9, 2017 #9 of 10
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH and DIRECTV are still investing in their satellites. Perhaps in 5-10 years what we consider "satellite TV" will not be what we see today (it isn't what we saw 20 years ago). But the satellite networks will be there and serving some delivery based purpose. I believe it will be delivering programming content, one feed to many people, similar to existing services.

Perhaps as channels are run out of business due to "a la carte" some of that satellite bandwidth can be used for on demand delivery. Technology changes but owning a delivery network comes in handy.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    DIRECTV uses around 20 transponders right now for pushed delivery content of movies and so forth, and actually some on demand.

The cost of satelites isn’t very expensive when you look at its costs over the years. The real cost is the programming... but you can’t get cheaper bandwidth. I doubt LEO could ever cost as little as satelite does per subscriber they can reach... because one sat can get everyone, LEO, well you are talking thousands if not millions of devices.