Sling TV Freezes Prices For One Year

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Newshawk, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Sling TV, in response to recent price increases by YouTube TV and fuboTV, has announced a one year price guarantee, effective August 1, 2020. Prices will be frozen for all customers on that date for the next year, until August 1, 2021.

They are also offering a two week free trial for customer who sign up by July 6 and a local TV offer--prepay for three months and get an AirTV 2 and OTA antenna for free.

“We believe now is not the time to make our customers choose between staying informed and entertained, and putting dinner on the table. Our hope is this 1-Year Price Guarantee will bring a sense of much needed stability in a time that feels uncertain to us all,” said Michael Schwimmer, Group President, Sling TV.

Sling TV Won't Raise Prices for Existing Customers, Guaranteed Through August 2021 | Cord Cutters News

2. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    No wonder YTTV raised their price to $65. If you want to keep your channel lineup similar with Sling and include the optional DVR pay option you are back to $65. It's $45 for Blue and Orange, $10 for sports, $5 for news and $5 for the DVR. Not great when you lose PBS and a bunch of other locals and wind up with an inferior DVR. They do throw in an Air TV 2 for a 3 month prepay. In my case I'd lose SNY so it seems there is no upside.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sling, just like every other OTT service is a trade-off of price, features and channels and what is important to you.

espaeth and B. Shoe like this.
  4. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm sure the single stream Orange package suits some people. But as soon as you add Blue the price advantage is slim. Blue with 3 streams is probably better for most people if you don't want ESPN.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I started with Sling Blue and some add-ons. Not being a big sports fan just a little sports if fine with me, and of course, these days none of it is live anyway so it really doesn’t matter now.

Switched to YTTV for awhile and liked it, and at $50/month was fine but it was missing some things I wanted.

So switched to ATT TV Entertainment level @$50/month with an included year of HBO Max. It fits very well, missing only IFC and Sundance that I watch on some rare occasions.

If I had to switch today it wouldn’t be YTTV @$65 because Sling Blue with their add-on pack @$50 would have everything other than locals.

6. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007

I see where you're coming from. If you're not a big sports fan it's a lot easier to pick and choose. I started with Sling Blue and had the $10 add on package that had 3 bundles. Was okay for the sports off season. I watched the Australian Open on ESPN3 which I get from my cable provider. If SNY was included on Sling I might have been tempted to try the Air TV 2 since I can get my locals OTA,

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    DISH announced this week that they've renewed their distribution contract with ViacomCBS for both DISH and Sling. Sounds like no changes are in the offing for DISH packages but more Viacom channels will likely be coming to one or both of Sling's base packages. Wonder if they'll have to carry CBS's owned-and-operated local affiliate stations in major markets too (the way Sling does with NBC and Fox stations)?

At any rate, my guess is that this will force a price increase for new subscribers to Sling Blue or Orange (or both) when the channel line-up(s) expands soon. But, as stated in the OP above, existing customers won't have to pay any more until August of next year.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Nah they have frozen the price for everyone new and old right now. New & returning customers are being told they get a 1 year price guarantee during sign-up and on the website. Dish/Sling would have to end this current promotion first then raise the price for new customers.

9. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sling has promised a price freeze until Aug. 1, 2021 for anyone who has signed up by Aug. 1, 2020.

Sling TV unveils price guarantee as YouTube TV, FuboTV up costs

So yes, new customers who sign up now (this month) will qualify for the price freeze. But what I originally stated above is that Sling will likely increase prices on new customers when the channel line-up(s) expands soon. My expectation is that those additional ViacomCBS channels will show up in Blue and/or Orange next month and will be accompanied by a price increase for new subs. (Otherwise, why the Aug. 1, 2020 announced deadline to qualify for the price freeze?) We'll see.

I wonder if existing subs will get the new channels too, even though they'll continue to pay the same price, or if their existing channel package will be grandfathered, with both the price and line-up frozen for a year.