Slingbox-PRO vs. Slingbox-PRO-HD

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by farmerdave4, Apr 22, 2008.

1. farmerdave4

farmerdave4 Mentor

Apr 19, 2007
    I am thinking about getting a Slingbox-Pro to use on for my 622. Since I have a HD receiver is it worth the waiting until later this year when the Slingbox-PRO-HD is available or just buy the current one now. I have noticed some stores are out of stock with the current slingboxes, I was not sure if it was backordered or just discontinued.

Thanks

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I currently use the Slingbox Pro on two of my DirecTV HD DVRs (one is using composite, the other is using HD) and can put another one on it (or something else). The PQ on a computer is pretty good within your local network, but it is very different in a hotel across the country, PQ is not so much. I have not seen the PRO HD, but I would imagine it would be very difficult to get HD to a PC over the internet far-far away. Based on that I'd say you may be better off with the Pro, but if they have figured out a way to get HD over the internet, then maybe the Pro HD would be worth the wait.

3. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I am a little confused as to what you are asking... Sling has the Slingbox AV / Slingbox Pro and the Sling Solo. The Sling Pro can do HD on a single input but you need to get the HD Adapter but in some cases comes in a bundle now.

That said I have the Slingbox Pro with the HD Adapter and use it with 2 HR20's and a single old DirecTiVO. Obviously only one of my HR20's is connected via HD (Component) and the Picture Quality is great amazing. The interesting thing that I can not explain is that the Picture Quality of the second HR20 connected via the S-VHS Connection almost seems better. While I know that isn't true (lower resolution) it really is an amazing picture quality. The Composite connection, well that just just is what it is.

I am one of the lucky ones that has Verizon Fios at my house and work at an ISP so I can get the 3Mbs Connection to the Slingbox while at work and have no problems whatsoever watching anything on either device.

From what I have read about the Slingbox Solo that is going to be a single device but does HD so for what I am using it for I would need 3 of them. With that I said in mind about the PQ of the S-VHS Connection and the Ability to set it to 16:9 I am perfectly happy with my setup. Also none of them have anything more than left / right audio inputs so the Solo doesn't seem to make a lot of sense unless it is going to be really cheap.

4. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    With the PQ and seamless stream... Your home bandwidth will not be the only contributing factor. The hotel side bandwidth usually does more impact as it is shared and sometimes overpopulated bandwidth.

I have the HD connect cable for my Pro, That is only HD res on the local network. SO I can only see HD res over that within my home. It sometimes even over tasks my gigabit network. And realistically, I can't see a PQ difference.

Jason

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007

there is a new slingbox hd coming out soon.

6. tivoboy

tivoboy Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    verwy soon.

7. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Vewy, vewy soon. :sure: