1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slingbox Question

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by nj1313, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 22
    nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong section...

I have the option to purchase either a Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100 or a Sling Media SlingCatcher SC100-100 Universal Media Player for TV.

Are there any major differences besides price?

I noticed the "catcher" has an HDMI input...

I'm new at this stuff and wanted to hook one of these up to my HR20-100 to watch television on my laptop and other televisions in my house...
    I also wanted to watch streaming videos in my house and be able to see my computer screen on my main television.

Do either one of these option give me these requests?

Thanks you in advance for any information that will help me to make a decision.

2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 22
    Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    A SlingBox and a SlingCatcher are two completely different things.

You have to have a SlingBox to use a SlingCatcher. The Catcher displays the video from the Box without needing a computer or portable device.

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 22
    nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the clarification...

SO I should be the Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100?

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 22
    Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    Yep, as the Catcher would be a doorstop with a SlingBox.

Also, unless you are planning on slinging around HD video on you home network, the PRO may be a little overkill. Unless you have FIOS and have a high upload rate, you wont see any quality difference if you are slinging to the internet.

www.slingcommunity.com is the DBSTalk of SlingBoxes. :D

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 22
    nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I do have FIOS internet...

From my understanding, the SOLO doesn not stream HD from the internet to the television and from television to television...

What is the main difference between the PRO HD and the SOLO?

6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 22
    terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Slingbox Pro has multiple inputs (and the Pro HD can or does support HD). The Slingbox Solo has only one input and does not support HD streaming.

Here's a link where you can compare the SlingBoxes:
    http://www.slingmedia.com/go/help-me-choose

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 22
    nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for the link...

Looks like the Pro HD is way better than the SOLO...especially in the HD department.

Can I watch what is on my computer on my television using the Slingbox?
    Let's say I go to HULU and want to watch an old episode of Who's the Boss...can I forward the signal to my TV through the Slingbox?

Or would I need to purchase a Slingcatcher also for that?

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 22
    nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sounds like I should purchase a Slingbox SOLO and a Slingcatcher together???

I'm so confused...

I'm really looking to watch anything off of my laptop onto my computer.
    After reading everything, I don't need a slingbox for that, but a slingcatcher...

I understand that the slingbox ONLY gives you the ability to watch TV on your laptop.

If I were to buy the slingcatcher, the only thing that I would not be able to do is watch Directv on other televisions in my house or on my laptop.

Right?

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 22
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    As someone stated before, you can't do anything with a SlingCatcher, unless you have a Slingbox. If you have both, the Slingbox is connected to a TV1 with a DVR, SlingCatcher connected to TV2 without a DVR. Over local network, you can wath the DVR on the TV2. Or if you travel, you can connect it to a TV in another city and the internet and watch your home DVR. Link: SlingCatcher or Slingbox

Not sure what you mean by you want to watch anything off your laptop on your computer?

10. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    I forgot about the ability to watch video from your computer on a SlingCatcher. Not sure if you can do that without a Slingbox or not.

If your not interested in placeshifting your live TV, then you don't need the Slingbox at all. Sorry, we are probably confusing you even more, but put simply:

A SlingBox connects to your set top box, and streams the live TV over your home network or the internet to a laptop/cell phone/or a-

SlingCatcher, who's primary purpose is to receive the live TV streamed from a SlingBox, but can also play digital video/audio files over your network.

If you are only interested in video playback there are probably cheaper ways to go about it.

11. racermd

racermd Legend

Dec 17, 2006
    What's with the hate on the Solo? I've got one myself and love it. Sure, it won't send a full HD signal over the network, but I really don't need HD while I'm away from home (I'm usually trying to catch a game or show either at work or the in-laws' place).

That being said, if you really do want full HD at the remote location, have the upstream internet connection to support it (or are on your local network), and have equipment that can view full HD content at the remote end - then by all means get the Pro.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Slingbox - Send video source (such as Directv Receiver) to other computers or SlingCatchers on the same network or via the internet. This is for viewing and controlling your TV source (Directv in your case) from a remote location.

SlingCatcher - Receive video source (such as a slingbox or your computer content) and display it on your TV.

An alternative to the slingbox that could actually be better is the Hava line of products:
    http://www.myhava.com/

An alternative to the slingcatcher in the sense of playing media from your network/computer on your TV is something like the Popcorn Hour (although it cannot play content from other slingboxes):
    http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

13. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    No hate here. I use an old A/V. All of my SlingBox viewing is over the internet, and I only have 768k up, so a PRO would be overkill. I have the A/V connected to an old D11.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Solo has multiple inputs, but you can only use one of them.

15. Iceblaze

Iceblaze New Member

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm curious about that myself. I am waiting to hear more about what people think before I go in on buying one.

16. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have had a Slingbox Pro for a little over 2 years now and it has been great. I am still undecided if I want to upgrade to the Pro HD. I want to see one in person before I do so.

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Might also be worth waiting to see what Hava's HD streaming version (one that actually streams in HD, not just takes an HD input) is going to be like that is supposedly coming out soon. They demoed a preproduction version at CES with some Directv receivers :eek2: :D

18. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I have a Sling Pro with HD connect and a Solo,

They are both comparable devices, performance is on par. The real difference is if you want to display more than one device. The Solo is one device.

Where as the Pro will let you connect and control upto 3 devices with the connect cable.

19. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The Slingbox PoHD is the newest model, it has replaced the Pro. The new one has a component input vs having to purchase the "dongle." (no Sling has an HDMI input) I have both a Pro and a ProHD. In theory the ProHD can Sling in HD. But, that really depends on the speed of your ISP and the speed of your computer. The ProHD also has 4 inputs including a built in digital tuner that works with both cable and OTA. Sometime this summer it has been reported Sling will also be updating the firmware on the Catcher to enable HD quality streaming via it. The Catcher has it's place it's great for watching your Sling on any TV. The remote it comes with controls your Sling like a regular TV enabling you to power it on, change channels, and adjust the volume. If you're just looking to watch TV via your computer then the ProHD is all you need. If you plan to just use one input (D* box) then a Solo would work fine. You can get a lot more of your questions answered on the Slingcommunity website. Hope that helps answer your questions some.

20. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    I fail to see the difference. The Solo has one input, the fact that there are multiple ways to connect that video source is irrelevant.