Slingbox-type options?

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by jaguar325, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1 of 20
    jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Can anybody share their research/reviews/experiences with Slingbox or like products as a way to view HR2x DVR/DoD content on a PC? I looked at the specs on the Slingbox Pro again yesterday and, for whatever reason, don't get the urge to jump just yet. Sling got some dings over lack of built-in wireless and component-only inputs but I am not sure these are big factors to me one way or the other. I am probably more concerned with picture/sound quality and ease of access/use. Several competitive products we named (most notably Sony), but there is little comparative information available. What I want to do is access my shows while traveling on business.

Thanks.

2. Apr 9, 2008 #2 of 20
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I can tell you this.....I have been looking at this as well and Stuart Sweet is a good source of information on this.

3. Apr 9, 2008 #3 of 20
    sshams95

sshams95 Legend

Sep 2, 2006
    I've had Slingbox for a couple of years now and I have not had any picture or sound issues at all...sometimes due to slow internet speeds, the quality is not there, but overall....you will not be disappointed with Slingbox.

4. Apr 9, 2008 #4 of 20
    boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    I have been using my Slingbox Pro with a H21 receiver. Most of my Slingbox use is over the internet. The speed of your internet connection will have a big impact on the quality. The picture quality on the PC via the LAN is much better than through the internet because of the increased bandwidth.

I have been very happy with my Slingbox. The feature I would like to see them add is the ability for more than one connection to the Slingbox unit at a time.

5. Apr 9, 2008 #5 of 20
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The slingbox is extremely easy to use, and even easier to set up. Although it lacks native wireless capability, it can be used with almost any wireless ethernet adapter or powerline adapter. If it's near your HR20, I'd just recommend a 4-port switch at that point to split the line out.

The software is very slick and pre-programmed for DIRECTV products. Picture quality varies with your available bandwidth but the current crop of slingboxes is SD only, which might put a small cramp in your plans. For what I use it for, remote viewing over the internet, I wouldn't achieve the 10Mbit you need for HD anyway.

I say jump in, you will like it.

6. Apr 9, 2008 #6 of 20
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I should also mention that for the specific purpose of viewing on PC, DIRECTV showed a demo of their PC Playback software that will let you get true HD over a LAN. No other details are available yet but I'm expecting to see it this year.

7. Apr 9, 2008 #7 of 20
    boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    A HD version is expected later this year. See this link: http://www.slingmedia.com/get/pr-slingbox-pro-hd.html

It will be more expensive, but the specs look very good.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #8 of 20
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Slinbox AV user here and I love it. I sling exclusively to my Treo and I do have some slight freezes from time to time but that's due to the upload speed of my DSL connection. My speeds don't always hit the upper end of the promoted speeds...shocker, I know. ;)

Stuart is right on...Slingbox is extremely easy to set up and use. I even copied the Slingbox files from my PC to an SD card. I took the card to work and ran Slingbox from the SD card so I could watch the first games of the NCAA tournament this year at work without installing software on my work PC.

9. Apr 9, 2008 #9 of 20
    jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I have a Linksys W..54G router in my house. My two main PCs are hooked-up hardwired via cat5 and seem to be doing fine. We have a "rural" cable company supplying the best broadband available here which runs about 4-6mbps on average.

My A/V equipment stack is located in a place that would require major surgery to reach with cat5/6. So, I plugged in a Linksys W..54G wireless extender yesterday and hooked its sole ethernet port to my HR21 (that's how I got DoD going). This is the same location I would probably put a Slingbox. I have an old Linksys hub I can throw on there to expand to 4 ports.. this could feed ethernet to my HR21, an HR20 (wife's DVR), and a Yamaha networked A/V receiver. There would be few, if any, instances where all 3 of those connections would be active at the same time. The router it is connecting to is only 20 feet away (across a great room) with only a cabinet door and one wall in the way. Should I worry about piling too many things onto the wireless extender or, because it and the router are "G", is the bottleneck going to be the external internet?

Thanks.

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I would think that the wireless-G connection would handle all the bandwidth you'd need.

11. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I have a Sling Pro hooked up to my 722 and 222 routed through a Linksys EZ88w to a Linksys WRT54g. Works great unless I am on an access point that is over loaded and or a really slow modem.

When you are a frequent traveler, Sling Pro helps a lot.

12. JJK

JJK New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I am thinking about getting a Slingbox based on the great reviews that everyone has had. One question though. If I am on the road and want to watch something remotely AND someone is at home watching something locally... what happens?

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Then you watch what they watch. If you change the channel, they see it on your home TV.

14. Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    My question is which version of slingbox do I get? Here is also my setup:

1. HR20-700 downstairs (hardwired network)
    2. HR20-700 Upstairs (hardwired network)

I would like to be able to watch some TV over the internet/pc's, however the biggest thing I would like to do with this is use the CE Slinger to be able update the HR20's.

Now would I need a sling box for each HR20? If so, what model? AV/Solo/Pro?

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    There are those who say the picture quality is better on the Solo and Pro than on the AV. My upstream connection is in the 700k range and I don't think I'd see a difference. I've got the AV and compared it with WAN performance from a Pro and didn't see a difference.

If you have two HR20s then controlling them via one slingbox is not impossible but with them in two different rooms well that's tough. The AV and Pro will control two devices but the IR blaster has to reach them. In that case I'd say look for a good deal on either an AV or Slingbox Classic (the 1st generation version). The Classic doesn't have as good performance over LAN and picture quality isn't as good but if CE slinger is your goal it will work.

16. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    The best thing to do is to get a sling for each receiver if there are not in the same room.

There is some lag most of the time that I am traveling, so if your doing extensive sequence commands, well it can get a bit difficult cause of the lag between key/button debounce and when you see the result appear on your remote screen.

I really like my Pro, and since the price has come down I recommend that one the most. My sling keeps me occupied when I am in China, Mexico, Europe.... Watching local TV in other countries just..... well it sucks.

If you download the Sling media application, there might be someone in here willing to give you a few minutes of access to try it out.

17. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I also like the 3 source toggling you can do on the pro. So I can have both my receivers plus a DVD player online. Just call home and ask the wife to put a movie in the dvd player for you. ;)

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If you're slinging to your laptop, can you surf the internet too?

Does the picture take up the whole screen or can you use a browser window too?

If you can do that, does it degrade the picture/sound very much?

19. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    You control the window size from as small as you want to full screen so based on that you can still surf without any issues. A lot of people that have large monitors at work will open up a small window for Slinging and then do all their work on the rest of the desktop space.

That said - The only degradation you will encounter is if whatever you are doing on the system whether it be surfing or any other function will take up any of the resources that Slinging requires. So if you are doing something that requires a lot of bandwidth - say downloading a large e-mail attachment or something like that and you are limited on bandwidth then you will see some kind of a hit on the slinging. This remains true for other things like CPU Utilization. Of course each individual system configuration as well as Internet connection is different so results will vary.

How's that for a definitive answer :D

20. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    I've had a Slingbox AV hooked up to my bedroom TV for about two years now. It was originally on my D* TIVO and it's now connected to my HR20. It's super easy to set up and use. It's awesome to have access to my TV and DVR when I'm at work or on the road.

It also doubles as a great portable TV on my wireless laptop. In my home I can use it anywhere. I often set my laptop up on a TV dinner table on my side of the couch and keep an eye on the Dodgers or a basketball game while I watch TV or a movie with my girlfriend.

I also have a cable Slingbox (which has its own built-in tuner) hooked up at my parents (in another state), so I can watch the local news or the local sports teams. I can control both setups from the one software application on my computer. It simply asks me which Slingbox I would like to view.

The picture quality will be outstanding when viewing on the same network the Slingbox is hooked up to. When you’re on the road or at work, the picture quality will vary with the speed of the network you’re connected to, as well as how fast your own Internet uploads. But I tend to keep the picture small at work so it looks pretty good most of the time.