SlingBox???

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Michael D'Angelo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I know this is not the correct site to post this but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and I was hoping someone could help me. If this post needs to be deleted I understand.

Anyway I have a Slingbox Pro and I am having a problem with my McAfee virus/firewall software. I cannot get my laptop to connect to the Slingbox when I have the software installed. I have gone into the setting and gave the program, ip address, and the port permission and I still cannot get it to connect. I removed the virus/firewall software and it connects every time. Then I reinstalled the software so my pc is protected and it will not connect again. I have a HR20 connected to the Slingbox if that matters. Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    McAfee does not like to network. I have spent more time trying to get computers to network while this excuse for usable software is installed than I care to think about. McAfees concept of firewall protection is that if NOTHING goes in or out, you must be safe. Even if its stuff you tell it you trust. McAfee might be ok if you are on a standalone computer, but if you want any type of networking capability, its as useful as unplugging the cable from your computer. Get rid of it and try ZoneAlarm. Personally, I use the XP SP2 Firewall, and even though "experts" say it has big holes, combined with other measures I take, I have not noticed any problems, and at least it will let me network.

3. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    My Dell laptop came with McAfee for the first year so, I reluctantly use it. But so far I have not had any problems. I watched sling box movies last evening for 4 hours from my hotel room. I'm using the connect with Verizon EVDO. Since I have had it, McAfee has only annoyed me once and that was a good thing as it advised me someone tried to send me a virus via e-mail and it caught it. I even use it while digitizing video which is usually a problem. I use AVG on all my other computers.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    it really depends on several factors, but I know I had to totally uninstall McAfee from one of my computers before it would network with anything.