Slinging DISH from SmartPhone to Hotel TV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bruce3404, May 21, 2015.

1. bruce3404

bruce3404 Cool Member

May 29, 2006
    I did a search and could not find the answer to this question: I have a Motorola Maxx which has Miracast and also recognizes my Roku 3 (-241). While I love the idea of being able to watch DISH Anywhere, I'd certainly prefer that I could transfer the programming to a hotel TV. A DISH rep just told me it couldn't be done, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see if there's any sort of workaround. I can understand DISH not wanting to have customers use their phones as a Joey and avoid monthly fees, but it seems that there must be a trick or two to make this work (and I'm really not trying to scam them out of $7/mo) while on the road.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You'd have to bring your own device like a Roku to connect to the tv, but you might have some problems since it would rely on the hotel's wifi network and the hotel might have blocked the ability to switch inputs on the TV.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't have to wait until you go on the road to try it. Hook it up and see what smokes in the comfort of your own living room.

As KyL416 points out, there are a number of other policy gotchas that can't be ascertained until you get there.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    There sometimes is a way, but not that way. A Roku and Miracast won't work with many/most Hotel systems. Even if the internet is free how are going to sign in to the agreement page required for each device? In addition the router system used probably does not support receiving and sending data with Miracast.

A laptop, Phone, or Tablet that can do HDMI out can work assuming you can get to the HDMI in of the TV. My Samsung Note 4 and S4 can do it as can my older Pantech tablet. My LG tablet can not. I don't use DISH anywhere, I use an actual Slingbox, so I also don't know if the DISH anywhere app blocks sending the signal to the HDMI out of the device as some apps do.

5. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Have to second the notion of trying at home first. I tried on the road the first time and the firewall where I was staying blocked me from downloading the necessary Dish app to my laptop. We have had pretty good luck with a laptop running HDMI out to TVs. Again you are also at the mercy of the owner of the premises.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    And if you do anything to tamper with the TV to get access to the HDMI input like removing the Lodgenet/OnCommand module connection, make sure you put it back anytime you exit the room as you can get charged/fined for doing so.

Many times the housekeeping staff turns on the TV while they clean your room, if they turn it on and find the remote isn't working or they can't change channels they might call maintenance to check it out who would then see what you did.

7. bruce3404

bruce3404 Cool Member

May 29, 2006
    I just bought an MHL device for my wife's Samsung Galaxy 4, so I'll have a couple of devices to test. I also do a lot of AirBnB, so probably wouldn't experience the same issues as one would at large hotels that have protective IT programs. A lot of my travel is overseas, so I don't know what to expect there (though a Slingbox works great for those with their own dedicated ISP). Should be an interesting experiment and it will start at home. Thanks for the tips and if anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears.