Slow satellite

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jayco33, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jayco33

jayco33 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Hi all,

I swear I've seen this topic before, but couldn't find a thread using the search so thought I'd start a new one. Please point me to the old one if I missed it.

My set-up is an HR44 genie with two C41 minis.

I also have a sparsely used H25 connected to an older tv and that is not connected to the network. It has not experienced any of the problems below.

The problem with the genie and the minis is that it has become incredibly slow. Channels take forever to change and the receiver is very slow to respond to channel changes... both inputting the numbers and using the channel up and down change. Both the menu, dvr list, and guide are also slow. It took me about 20 minutes the other night to delete five things off the dvr. This has been ongoing for about three weeks now.

The two minis take between 10-45 minutes to come on and connect... if they do at all. A couple times I've had to do a reset of the main genie to get them to connect.

I've done multiple hard and soft resets and it stays slow. I've done both the long and slow hard drive tests and both came up clean. The system test also came up with no errors.

Two weeks ago I called Directv and spoke to technical support. We went through several tests and everything came up clean. Satisfied with that, the tech guy said that it's an ongoing problem on their end with those models and that basically there is nothing that can be done except to wait it out for it to be fixed on their end.

So I guess I'm wanting to know if this is true? Is there nothing I can do except to wait it out? Should I call back and speak to a different tech person and maybe they will tell me something different that the first person did?

Thanks in advance!

2. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    You can try a search on CLEARMYBOX or CLEARMYBOX2. There is a difference between the two, but I don't recall what that is exactly.
    CLEARMYBOX is said to be the equivalent of performing 2 resets within 30 sec.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is no way a receiver should take more than a few seconds to be on. Usually they start up faster than your
    TV does.
    I think your receiver / Genie needs replacing. Give them a call and schedule a service call.

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Underpowered. (read: as cheap as we can get away with). Case closed.

And actually, if the satellite itself gets slow, it falls right out of geosync orbit and burns up in the atmosphere (or kills off a character on Northern Exposure).

5. jayco33

jayco33 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    The CLEARMYBOX helped out for 2-3 hours then reverted back to the usual slowness. Still, it's better than it was so thanks. Maybe I'll try another call and see if I can get anywhere...

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Is your system hooked up to a phone line, or your home internet? If so try removing those connections and see if it helps.

Did you try CLEARMYBOX2?

As a last resort if you call in and the CSR still can't help you, then I would say call back again and tell them it is dead. Then they should send a replacement Genie and it will hopefully fix the issue. It may cost $20 shipping if you don't have the protection plan, but a replacement receiver does not require a new 24 month commitment. I normally don't like to lie or recommend others do the same, but sometimes corporate red tape requires a little bending every now and then.

Also, just so you know, your H25 is hooked up to the same network unless you have it blocked with a DECA filter, or have it on a separate dish. If it isn't showing your HR44's recordings it likely just has home sharing turned off.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If CLEARMYBOX didn't completely solve his issue CLEARMYBOX2 won't either, it does less.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Clearmybox 2 is only for people with non regular software.

It's just clearmybox for regular nr releases.

1 person likes this.