1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Transfer to the EHD

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by barryaz1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. barryaz1

barryaz1 AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    5 days with the Hopper and I am ready to start transferring from the EHD (from the old 722k) to the Hopper. It's moving abominably slow - 5+ hours for 2 programs totaling 3hrs, and they are not action or space flicks with a lot of visual movement. What can I do to speed this process up? Do I maybe need a new drive? Be sure I'm using a USB 2.0 cable? It was also quite slow from the 722 to the EHD.

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    If you are recording and playing back programs while the receiver is trying to archive to the EHD, you'll get slow performance. Archiving, from my experience, gets the "lowest priority" amongs the tasks a Hopper does. I've had things transfer MUCH faster once PTAT was done for the night.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Is your drive a USB 2.0 drive? It could just be a slow drive... especially if you say it was also slow on your 722 archiving.

But also, the above is correct that if you are also recording or watching DVR playback of other things at the same time as archiving, it will take longer too.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Before conclude, I would get SMART data from the drive!