DBSTalk Forum banner

Sluggish HR24 performance all the sudden

9K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Diana C 
#1 ·
One of my two HR24 units are slow to change channels or pull up the menu at times (up to a minute). My second HR24 does not have this issue. The differences are one is a -100 and the other is a -500 (with problems).

The only other thing that I can think of is that on this particular unit I have keyword searches for sports like "AALLL Team name CCHAN 2 206...."

DTV is finally going to send out another unit to replace this one after many calls but I am curious if anyone else has had like issues come up in just the last two weeks?

Thanks.

#2 ·
It could be a failing HDD

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

#3 ·
It could be that you just got the latest 'update'. 2 of my 3 HR24-500s now run like crap.... Slow remote response, missed button pushes etc. It seems this is becoming the norm when DirecTV 'updates' their software.

EDIT: Scratch that - all 3 of my HR24-500s now run like crap.

#5 ·
For some reason all the issues I keep hearing about are HR24-500 DVR's, but do anybody have problems with the HR24-200? As I'm not seeing it regardless what SW version I get.

#7 ·
acostapimps said:
For some reason all the issues I keep hearing about are HR24-500 DVR's, but do anybody have problems with the HR24-200? As I'm not seeing it regardless what SW version I get.
The 24-500s are the flakiest of all the 24s, I think. After every NR I have problems with at least one.

Rich

#8 ·
I didn't have my email notifications turned on. Thanks for the responses.

I did a full "reset everything" and am running whatever the 'current' version is as I have not run any beta software in a while. I will check the version tonight.

DTV sent my replacement unit today and it was all beat up. I have a Genie coming on Sunday so that should be nice. Hopefully they have the 44 model in hand!

Godfather, I find it disappointing that they did not ask me to run the diag test over the 3 hours that I spent going through their painful troubleshooting.

#10 ·
Rich said:
The 24-500s are the flakiest of all the 24s, I think. After every NR I have problems with at least one.

Rich
That's why when I order or get sent an HR24 I make sure it's the Samsung model -200 if its not I refuse or return it.

#11 ·
It would appear that (Humax) the maker of of the -500 receivers are the worst of all the manufaturers that DirecTV uses tregardles of receiver type. Look at the issues that the R15-500 and R16-500 are having

#12 ·
acostapimps said:
The 500s and 200s are different. As I've said, I think the 500s are flakier than the 100s and 200s. One of the bad things about the 200s is the pitiful lock nut on the coax cables. Put the coax on too tightly and the barrel's likely to turn, which will break the thin connector on the other side of the bulkhead. Do NOT use a wrench on a 200. Aside from that I liked my 24-200 until I had the barrel turn while either disconnecting or connecting the coax. The other bad thing about 200 is putting an internal drive in it if you own it. Not impossible, but the best solution I've seen is to secure the internal HDD to its sled with tie-wraps. I gave up on mine and used an external drive until that link broke. Good units aside from what I've written above.

Rich

#13 ·
To be a honest even though the 22-100 is slow it's consistent with every recordings I schedule like every DVR should be and that's what I started with when I signed up with Directv, but I might return it in place of the other 24-200 that I own, The only thing I don't like about the 22 apart that is slow is that when I reboot that box is excruciating slow by just turning off during the reboot process, maybe it's the external drive that's making it really slow especially 2tb EHD with 70 percent full.

#14 ·
Yes, OMG! Performance is suddenly horrible. Almost unbearable how it take 30 seconds to pull up the guide or recordings. How is it possible this makes it through there QA process? They clearly must not have one. So frustrating I feel like throwing the receivers out the window. And I have 4 HR24's all doing the same thing, excruciatingly slow response.

#15 ·
This is getting more interesting with all of you having the same experiences.

They sent me a replacement that was all scratched up so I won't be keeping that one and did not activate it. I have a installer coming today with a "Genie". If it is not a HR44 then I will reschedule or cancel and maybe just keep my 24 for now and hope that they fix it soon.

#16 ·
No more sluggish performance with my new HR44 install :)

Sorry to hear that others are having issues. Hopefully if enough people call in as I did they identify the software issue.

#17 ·
I'm not having any issues with my HR24/500. Every so often it will be sluggish when I go to bring up the guide but that's after not bringing it up for about 2 hours. Then after that initial sluggishness, it goes away. Hopefully I'm lucky as I don't want to deal with getting a new one and setting up series again.

#20 ·
If you read through the issues threads that are stickied at the top you'll see a lot of others are having similar issues. My HR24-500 was horrible with 0x66d which I only got a few weeks ago, it is somewhat better with 0x6bd which has started pushing out to receivers recently .. The guide still takes a long time to come up but the times where remote responses are delayed by 30-60 seconds is reduced although not completely eliminated. I wish I could go back to the older software release - I didn't have any problems before 0x66d!

#21 ·
Just registering more frustration with this issue. It continues here with an HR24-200 that replaced an HR25-500 with these same issues.
I've mentioned this in some other places, but going to put it here too, because I feel like there must be something to it...

This all started with 66C, and go to the point where it was actually impacting my entire networks performance - my download speeds were cut in half for a few weeks. Must have just been some crazy collisions going on. I have whole home DVR and the connection kit. Curiously two other boxes do not seem impacted, just one. I feel like it has to be with the network stack somewhere, but I just can't isolate it. The 66bd update has returned the rest of my network to normal, but the DVR is just as bad, if not worse.

#22 ·
dravenstone said:
Just registering more frustration with this issue. It continues here with an HR24-200 that replaced an HR25-500 with these same issues.
I've mentioned this in some other places, but going to put it here too, because I feel like there must be something to it...

This all started with 66C, and go to the point where it was actually impacting my entire networks performance - my download speeds were cut in half for a few weeks. Must have just been some crazy collisions going on. I have whole home DVR and the connection kit. Curiously two other boxes do not seem impacted, just one. I feel like it has to be with the network stack somewhere, but I just can't isolate it. The 66bd update has returned the rest of my network to normal, but the DVR is just as bad, if not worse.
could it be an IR interference issue? is your remote set to RF

#24 ·
acostapimps said:
To be a honest even though the 22-100 is slow it's consistent with every recordings I schedule like every DVR should be and that's what I started with when I signed up with Directv, but I might return it in place of the other 24-200 that I own, The only thing I don't like about the 22 apart that is slow is that when I reboot that box is excruciating slow by just turning off during the reboot process, maybe it's the external drive that's making it really slow especially 2tb EHD with 70 percent full.
Yup, take that external drive off and see how quickly it reboots on the internal drive.

Rich

#25 ·
If you are using RF, try covering the IR window. Sometimes stray IR signals from the TV backlit screen can cause this sort of issues.

#26 ·
dravenstone said 'This all started with 66C'. Why would the remote, iPad etc fail and/or some interference back-light suddenly start with a firmware update? It wouldn't.

When he gets 6bd his remote and iPad will suddenly be fixed and the back-light interference will go away.. At least for the most part.

When I got 6bd it did improve but I'm hoping that the next update will get us back to performance we had a few months ago before the burst of updates hit.

Bottom line - the updates need to be better tested before DirecTV sends them out. How/why the CE people don't see these problems is still a mystery. Some suggest that people make up these troubles but it that is the case why the pattern of new update after new update after new update. How many 'updates' have there been in the last 3 or 4 months. Maybe it is because the CE testers restart their receivers every week - who knows... Time for changes in the process!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.