1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small annoyance with our HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    A number of times in the past month my wife has described the following issue while using the HR24-500......

She will be watching a channel and then start to watch a recording. When the recording is finished, the DVR is no longer on the channel she was watching before playing the recording. There are no recordings going on during this time, btw.

Often she will start watching local news, then when a news story comes on that is of no interest, she will start a recorded show. Then, when the recording is done, she wants to review the rest of the news quickly.

I know she can hit record before leaving the news, but she doesn't always remember to do that, and we never had to do that with our HR21-100, which this HR24 replaced.

2. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I found a similar issue last night. I was watching Monday Night football and House was being recorded from 7:00 to 8:00. A message came up at 5 minutes before 8 stating it needed to change channels to record Two and a half men. It shouldn't need to change channels since that is the only program being recorded at 8:00. I selected to cancel the recording and then when House was finished recording at 8:00 I brought up the guide and selected to record Two and a half men from the guide. The DVR then immediately changed channels even though the other tuner was free. This of course wiped out the buffer for Monday night football.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Part of this may be that some shows are programmed to run a couple of minutes into the next hour. This is done intentionally to try to keep folks tuned to the original channel, and just as much to make it difficult for DVR users to record another network.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I too have seen this a few times lately with my HR24-500 and "think" it has to do with which tuner is being used. I've rebooted the receiver and had it come back to a different channel, which it normally doesn't do. In my case the military channel has been the default that comes up when it wasn't what I had been tuned to. I don't know if this was because it was on tuner #1 and I'd been using tuner #2, but something like this seems to be what's going on.

5. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I used an HR20 for the last 4 years and never had this happen. As I said, I even canceled the 8:00 recording and waited for the 7:00 recording to stop and it still switched channels when I selected the show to record at 8:00 with no other recording being done.

6. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Absolutely correct, I hate networks that do this. FOX is notorious for doing this exact thing. I have written many times to these charlatans, with no response.