Smart Search bug

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DKD22, Mar 3, 2010.

1. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Something is broken in Smart Search. For at least a year, I’ve been running a search on “Lakers & Sports, Basketball,” and as far as I know it’s always identified every Lakers game. I redid that search today, using Recent Searches, and noticed that the search didn’t find at least two games that are in the guide: the Lakers-Miami game on Thursday. listed in the guide as “Los Angeles Lakers at Miami Heat,” on TNT at 5:00 on Thursday and “Raptors @ Lakers,” which the guide has at 7:30 on Tuesday, 3/9 on 692 and 764-1.

In order to check this, I redid the search, selecting SmartSearch from the Menu and typing in “Lakers.” When I typed the letters into the search window, all of the Lakers games showed up in the window to the right, which has a list of shows that match the search. I then hit the red button, which performs a “keyword search for ‘Lakers.’” That pulls up a category list. I selected “All.” The results list that came up was the same one I had gotten earlier, with only the Lakers-Bobcats game.

Again, typing “Lakers” into Smart Search pulls up all the games, but when I hit the red button and select “All as the category, all of the games but one disappear, and when I use a saved search that also includes categories (sports and basketball), again only one of the games appears.

I then performed a search on “Clippers” and got the same behavior: adding any category (including “all”) to the search eliminates all entries, even though numerous entries are pulled up in the initial letter search.

This behavior is new and I’m fairly certain it represents a bug. It appears that adding any category (including “all”) inappropriately restricts the search, eliminating entries that are in the guide and that match both the letter portion of the search and the category.

I have an HR20/700 and am running 0x3a8, which was downloaded last night. This is the first search I’ve run since the new firmware download. I suspect the bug was introduced in that download, since I did not see this before today.

2. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Update: Smart Search is now working correctly again. Saved searches that failed to work yesterday now pull up all correct entries.

I suspect the 3a8 firmware download included changes to the Smart Search code, and those changes had the effect of breaking searches that include categories (including the "all" category). Given that the problem has disappeared without a reset or a new firmware download, my best guess is that my receiver downloaded new guide data in the last 12 hours, and the new firmware works correctly with the new data. It's also possible that the new firmware performed some kind of analysis of the guide data (e.g., indexing), and that operation took 24 hours to complete.

In any event, anyone running a saved or new search using categories should be careful about results occurring right after downloading the new firmware.

Mods: you might want to move this into the 3a8 issues thread, since my best guess is that this is related to that download.