1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Search .. What do you think?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1 of 44
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK, Smart Search has been available for a while now .. What do you think? The good, the bad, whatever .. just make sure you play nice when you post :)

2. Sep 7, 2010 #2 of 44
    johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Never use it . No interest in using it either but thats just me.

3. Sep 7, 2010 #3 of 44
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont use it either. Anything I want, I enter as a Boolean search, or for movies, I just left arrow onto the channel name and hit INFO, and scan through the two weeks of movies on that channel.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #4 of 44
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    But that's through Smart Search now? :scrathin

I'm more interested if there are things that are truly broken .. examples can do wonders.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #5 of 44
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, I have to use Smart Search to enter the boolean, but dont actually use the smart part :) i.e. After I enter AALL or AANY, it doesnt bring up anything to bug me.

6. Sep 7, 2010 #6 of 44
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Unfortunetely I don't have any recent examples as the wife and I completely stopped using it... We were finding that the search would not return results for shows it should have found (even shows airing the following day.)

7. Sep 7, 2010 #7 of 44
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    On the rare occasion I search for something, I am always a little annoyed when I use a receiver that doesn't have it, so I guess I like it! :)

8. Sep 7, 2010 #8 of 44
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I haven't had any problems here. It seems to work just fine.

I'm not much of a 'power' searcher though...

9. Sep 8, 2010 #9 of 44
    rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    I use the search on a regular basis. I think the smart search works quicker and gives better results on my R22's and HR22

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't like it and much prefer the older search, because IMO it was smarter.

For example, lets say I want to find "Entourage".

I type in ENTO, and entourage appears as the only show in the list. Now, usually I'm typing letters as I go (looking at the remote) and I glance up and see that entourage is right there so I stop entering text. However, when I stopped entering text, I was actually starting to enter the "u", but instead accidentally enter a "t".

Now, when I go down one notch to select "entourage", it's no longer there and the only thing present is a keyword search for "entot".

The old search didn't do that. If the next letter didn't have any matches, the matches below would stay the same and Entourage would still be the first thing in the list.

IMO, the old search method was "smarter", because it could accurately predict what you were looking for even if you hit the wrong letter occasionally.

This search is "not as smart", because unless you key it in exactly, it doesn't know what to do and defaults to a keyword search.

I also liked having keyword searches separately. I always know if I need to search for a title of a show or a keyword, so combining them does me no good.

If I could somehow go back to the old search, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've yet to see an advantage to smart search (the way I use it), but it's caused me extra key strokes many, many times.

11. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Doug,

Smart Search had some issues when we first started seeing it but threads like this one helped improve it.

I haven't had any issues with Smart Search for quite a while so I guess I'm happy with it. Even the Boolean Searched ARSLs are searching, scheduling and recording w/o issue.

Maybe we need to start another thread to voice some issues with missing episode First Run, Repeat, and missing HD identifier and the frequent "No info is available at this time". Some examples w/b shows I've been recording for my three-year-old, Disney HD misses some HD identifiers on "Mickey Mouse Club House" episodes and Nick Jr. hasn't had any episode info on the series by the name of "Oobi" for a while now. It may be a Tribune thing but I would like them to get their act together, soon. Hopefully, before the Fall season starts.

12. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    don't really search for much...but when i do smart search
    has worked just fine for my use....

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'll give another example. Lets say I want to do a keyword search for "michigan" to catch shows or sports dealing with that state.

In the old search, I would select keyword search, enter "Michigan" and basically be done.

With the "smart search", I enter Michigan and then I have to scroll through 10 pages of information before I can get to the keyword that I wanted. IMO, that's not smarter.

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm not sure what all is considered part of Smart Search, but one thing I really like is the Filmography section. I use it with almost every movie I watch.

There's an amazing amount of information now in that STB.

15. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    All you have to do is type Michigan and press the red button - at the bottom of the results list the "red button" is displayed with the hint "Keyword search for [whatever you type]"

16. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Actually, I preferred the old search.

(PS - I know SQL really well, so I should prefer the new one, but I find it clumsy)

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really like it and use it a lot. They got this right!

Rich

18. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    I might only use smart search once every 5 or 6 months so I guess that I qualify as not using it at all....

19. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Overall it's pretty good, but there are several improvements needed...

• Multiple words that are entered should be searched as an "and" search: word1 AAND word2,
      not as a literal single string search "word1 word2" where word2 must follow directly after word1.

• The various boolean and other search capabilities that now have to be entered as cryptic strings needs a user friendly user GUI interface (at least for some more common complex searches). I shouldn't have to be an msql syntax guru to have to do complex searches such as "comedy movies staring actor xxxxxx" (see any Tivo search GUI for an example of what needs to be done).

• Multiple showings of the same title (even on different channels) should be initially displayed as a single line in the search result that can be expanded to show all of the showings. Without this improvement, a search result of interest can literally be buried 20 pages down in the search results under hundreds of lines one PPV title showing every half hour (Yes I know that this improvement is already being worked on and tested, and the sooner it gets into the NR the better).

20. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Why did I not know that?