1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smithsonian Channel and CI

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by clyde sauls, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1 of 89
    clyde sauls

clyde sauls Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    Noticed E dropped this channel overnight and added Crime and Investigation channel. But when I turned on the tv was on CI channel . Now after changing the channel and went back to CI from the guide the channel is a black screen. Found out if I turn the back to the Smithsonian Channel 374 it is showing the Crime and Investigation Channel instead.I guess they havent moved the channel over to the channel showing in the guide as CI 387.

2. Feb 1, 2009 #2 of 89
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Yeah, A cheap and dirty trick. Both channels are still on DIRECTV.

3. Feb 1, 2009 #3 of 89
    grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    :mad:

4. Feb 1, 2009 #4 of 89
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    They fixed the wrong channel thingy.

5. Feb 1, 2009 #5 of 89
    ans2004

ans2004 Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    Go charlie go...............
    Great customer service...........
    Anything else you want to pull, maybe nbc, so no one can watch the super bowl!!!!!!!

6. Feb 1, 2009 #6 of 89
    rsprague

rsprague Mentor

Feb 26, 2006
    Looks like they dropped Smith and added CI. There is now a message regarding this if you select Smith..

7. Feb 1, 2009 #7 of 89
  8. Feb 1, 2009 #8 of 89
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    There's rumors that they're dropping HDNet as well, true?

9. Feb 1, 2009 #9 of 89
    CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    My first reaction would be "no way, they would never do that, it's a popular channel"... But I'm starting to get to where I don't put anything past Charlie...

10. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well someone posted it on another forum, so I don't know how reliable it is, sorry.

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish csr's only know what they are told, although some speculate on rumors (if that is where this poster got his info and we don't know that since OP only post "Called Dish yesterday" and did not state whom he spoke to). Most do not know until Dish issues a press release. I would not believe this one until I see one of two things: 1) Press Release from Dish Network or HD Net, or 2) The channels are removed.

12. nitz369

nitz369 AllStar

Dec 15, 2005
    I just love how the first thing everyone says is

"Dish will go out of business in 3 months"

Do you really think that Dish would get rid of a channel that all 13 million customers watch? Or wait, wonder how many of dishs customers actually pay for HD, and on top of that pay for HD Platinum. I am sure the numbers are extremely small.

It sucks when they remove channels that YOU watch but seriously they are not that stupid.

13. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    They better not get rid of HDNet. Where else would I watch HDNet Fights??? Or catch the occasional GOOD HDNet concert on Sunday???

14. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Maybe this is just some more of Charlie's asinine bargaining with these channels. The Smithsonian Channels message did say they were in negotiations with Dish. He's done it before and will do it again. He really, in my view, doesn't seem to care if we subscribers get upset. After all, most of us, me included, just moan and groan and keep on sending him money.

I'm curious to know, and probably never will, if Dish gets better rates by playing these dumba** games than Direct. And if so, how is that a good deal for me? It certainly isn't reflected in my bill when I do a close comparison to Direct.

15. HDftw

HDftw Mentor

Jul 12, 2008
    This is something really upsetting, It's bad enough they removed some SD Channels. But now there going for HD channels. :nono:

16. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    I will not be surprised if E* drops the entire $10 HD "ultimate pack" just like they did to VOOM, if they had concluded that not many people are paying the $10 deal.

After reading the news, I was reminded to look at my own DirecTV "HD Extra Pack" subscription and realized I have not watched those few channels for a long time, so I went online removed it and got a little bit of the credit back for the rest of the month.

At least some of the E* subs called to complain and got $20/mo. off for a few months:)

17. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I doubt that HDNET will get dropped. It is in the basic HD package, smithsonian was not. Alot more people will be complaining if HDNET gets dropped.

18. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Too me Smithsonian was worthless they just kept showing the same programs over and over. I could care less about HDNEt they do the same with their programming plus how many times a day do they show Dan Rather. This is not a huge loss for me but I know everybody has their likes and dislikes.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the Platinum Pack?

While I didn't watch Smithsonian much, C&I is NOT a valid swap for the kind of content. Dish would be better suited rolling the Platinum channels into the Gold HD tier of Turbo HD and just be done with that.

Hopefully this is just a temporary thing... but it was a surprise.

20. Ghostwriter

Ghostwriter Legend

Oct 10, 2005
    I personally canceled by HD Platinum as I never watched any of those channels. HD NET would be a loss I would not like, but then again it won't make me call to cancel. There are other channels I would prefer anyway. Unfortunately none of us will ever find the perfect Pay TV provider, you just go with the one that has the majority of channels you like.