SNL Season 45

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by James Long, Sep 29, 2019.

1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A rough start ... I have been watching SNL for decades. Mostly for Weekend Update, but the rest of the show is usually good enough that I don't just skip to the news then turn it off.

Last night's episode was not good. The cold open went on way too long, then after the monologue SNL did another way too long political skit about impeachment. Later in the show there was another (better) skit about the issue. It seemed like the first two skits had a long setup and no punchline (if there was one I was more happy that the skit was over to notice the punchline).

The first show of the season - with technical errors that could have been fixed if it wasn't live. When working live it is more important to get it right the first time. It can be fun watching "live" shows hoping for an actor to crack and not be able to recover but there is a limit. Billie Eilish dancing in a rotating box with a fixed camera making it look like she was dancing on the walls and ceiling ... and old trick but someone cut away from the fixed camera at exactly the wrong moment as the box began to move. Sure, in a normal performance changing the camera at that point for a closeup would have been my call. But the camera chosen wasn't fixed to the box! The second error I can recall was when a wardrobe person stepped in too early to help with a costume change during a skit --- that one gave the actors something to work past (I like those kind of live errors). The third I remember was when the actors cracked during the pick your own apples skit. I didn't see what was funny. Comedy shows are better when the audience is laughing ... even if they are laughing along with the cast. Seeing people laugh and not knowing what was funny isn't funny.

Speaking of not funny, when they started the halftime football sketch my mind immediately went back to the classic Payton Manning version where he and the coach danced to Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. I was hoping for an homage to that - or something funny. We got a dick joke that took up too much of the show.

Hopefully they will shake it off, figure out how to edit down long skits to reasonable lengths and improve so I can forget this rough start and enjoy the show. Otherwise I'll probably be skimming through the show for Weekend Update or not watching at all.

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I stopped watching many many years ago.

dod1450 likes this.
  3. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    You mean they haven't canceled that turkey yet?

4. Oct 4, 2019 #4 of 11
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It was a tough opener to watch. Somehow in some cases it seemed like they forgot to check off the "funny" box. There's plenty of current news that's funny, but some of it just isn't funny enough for a whole skit any more. And they just didn't seem to have a handle on how to make the other stuff work smoothly. But maybe it was simply a new season that no one was quite ready for. Let's hope.

5. Oct 4, 2019 #5 of 11
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I prefer the original SNL crew. Those were the best seasons.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2019 #6 of 11
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I've been watching it for many years myself, not religiously, I don't record it or make sure I see every episode or anything like that, but it's not unusual for me to be up at that hour on a Saturday night so many times I'll check it out, usually right up to Weekend Update and then I usually head to bed. One thing I've noticed is that on a good night maybe half of it is good. Other nights you are lucky to get two or three good skits and maybe a handful of times during an entire season you get something really hilarious that sticks in your mind. This has been true from the very beginning and is still true now. There's all sorts of people who try to tell you how it used to be so much funnier when there were certain cast members (most popular being the original cast) but go back and watch an old episode sometime and you'll see it was pretty much the same as I mentioned above. I've watched old episodes with the idea, hey this is going to be better because it just was "back then" and then been disappointed when I realized it just really wasn't. Here's the thing we all remember the really funny skits from back in the day because they made us laugh and they often get featured in highlight shows and are shared online over and over and we say to ourselves: "see back then it was better". But when you actually go back and watch old entire episodes you also see all those skits that you forgot about that weren't so good. I think for the most part SNL has been pretty consistent over the years with slight variations of quality here and there in different seasons. The difference is how we perceive it. Plus people change, what you thought was funny when you were 20 something and possibly partying on a Saturday night isn't going to be the same as what you find funny now for most people. I do know one thing about this season though, I already miss Leslie Jones!

AngryManMLS likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2019 #7 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd rather watch Stephen Colbert's monologue on The Late Show for 15 minutes than sit thru SNL. Just my opinion. Shame to see a show that was wonderful get this bad. That first cast was amazing.

Rich

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8 of 11
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good points. I just remember having to be home to watch that show every weekend and then the cast changed and I lost interest.

Rich

9. Oct 4, 2019 #9 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Satire is one thing -Beating a Dead Horse is a loser -the cancel Culture has killed Comedy -but if you enjoy it please keep watching

10. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I might watch a clip or two on YouTube but even then it's a rarity that I find myself wanting to watch beyond that. Most of the time it feels like they are trying too hard to be funny and stretching out what could of been a funny 30 second thing into 5-10 minutes which I find myself getting bored at that point.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The past two weeks were better than the first. #1 improvement, only one political skit - the show opener in both cases (10/5 and 10/12) but they were better than the first two skits of the season.

10/5 ... Matthew Broderick stops by with Ferris Buller references. The news sketch with black anchors vs white anchors keeping score about who's side committed more crimes was irreverently funny.
    10/12 ... Lin Manuel and Woody Harrelson had their cameos (along with a very stiff Colin Jost who pointed out how bad his impersonation was during Weekend Update). The Stranger Things sketch showed where Pete Davidson might have been for the past couple weeks (although on 10/5 the suggested he forgot where he parked his car). "Grouch" was an excellent sketch.

Every show has its low points, but I liked the second two episodes better than the first.