Snow in DFW | No Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spamstew, Dec 29, 2009.

1. spamstew

spamstew Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    Just Curious.. I live in the FW, Texas area and we are having a snow storm today.. HA!!!.. Is anyone else experiencing no signal due to the snow/overcast???

2. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Signal loss during snowstorms almost always means there's snow accumulation in the dish. Brushing off the snow in the dish should brings things back to normal.

3. sll0037

sll0037 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I'm over in Plano and I started losing signal on my HD channels before it even began to snow. Now the standard definition channels are gone too.

Unfortunately, I'm part of an MDU and they are horrible. I believe our dish is pointed horribly because the first sign of rain or even on a cloudy day, my picture starts breaking up. I'll call other friends with DTV to see how their signal is and it's perfect.

They're going to get someone out here on Monday, a week away. Talk about crappy service.

4. Curtis52

Curtis52 Hall Of Fame

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm in the same area. We lost our signal. I cleaned some snow off the dish and it's working now. It may have been coincidence.

5. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    had no signal either. cleared off the dish and it came back. it had some really thick slush on it.

6. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I live in Wisconsin and I've been a DirecTV customer for 9 years so guess what? I'm an expert on snow (and rain)!!! ;)

While I don't have HD, the Ku band dishes very rarely lose signal to the point of pixelization due to snow unless it is more like slush or freezing rain (IF they are aimed correctly, of course). I've had my dish literally packed with snow and the signal levels were still in the 60's and 70's which were enough to produce a picture with no pixelization.

If you lose HD due to snow/rain, you might try unhiding the SD versions of the channels in the guide so you will at least be able to watch. The SD channels are still transmitted on the more reliable Ku band as opposed to the fussy Ka band where the MPEG4 HD channels are.

7. PhilS

PhilS AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    Denton, TX
    Take a hose of water to it.

8. sll0037

sll0037 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks. I'll try to un-hide the SD channels, although those are cutting out sometimes too.

The problem here in our MDU is that the dish doesn't seem to be aimed correctly, resulting in a decent signal with great weather and horrible signal even on cloudy days. Its on top of our 7 story building, so you'd figure it'd be in a prime spot to optimize signal.

They have techs scheduled to come out tomorrow now since I'm sure the entire building called customer service. I just wish these idiots would take the time to point it correctly and get the best signal possible. With one dish feeding hundreds of units, you'd think they'd take the time to do it right.

I have friends and family in Fort Worth with D* that experienced no problems during the storm and they got the worst of the storm.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm in Allen & had no signal loss. The dish is right below the eave of the house, so it gets some protection.

10. spamstew

spamstew Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    Thanks for the input.. Unfortunately, the dish is on the roof of our 2 story home and access to the dish is a little difficult. We watched recorded shows via MRV and shows via Netflix/xbox 360..

11. sll0037

sll0037 Cool Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My service is back up and running. I was kind of hoping it'd still be down so that the techs would be forced to reposition our dish tomorrow. Now they'll surely do nothing and we'll have the same problem next time some clouds roll through.

12. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    What are your signal strengths like? Have them check them on a receiver, and if they're low, they should adjust the dish anyway, even if you are getting enough signal to get audio/video.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You remind me of an installation customer I had last week:

No dish on the roof...don't want holes in the shingles!
    No dish high on the soffit......don't want it see from the street.
    Don't like where you put it...what if that tree grows and blocks it?
    Don't like where you put it...what if the snow covers the arm and blocks the signal?
    No you can't put the dish on a steel pole....don't want to mow around it.
    What do you mean there will be a charge to return and extend the dish on a new and taller mast? Is there also a charge for the nonpenatrating roof mount you mentioned?

We didn't have this problem with the cable company!
    Yes, I still have their number...why?

On a clear day......your signals should be above 70 on the 101 SD transponders and high 80s to high 90s on the 99c &/or 103c HD transponders. They do change from time to time. A no picture situation is very rare.
    Joe

14. TomJ

TomJ Cool Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    We had the same issue when the snow came through the DFW area last night (no problems on Christmas Eve though). First we lost everything but the locals, then those went too.

The dish is on the roof of the garage and reasonably accessible, but I didn't think that climbing up a ladder was the best idea during the snowfall (20 years ago, I would have been up there in a flash, maybe I'm getting smarter).

The dish had the same slushy snow as the sidewalks, which explained the signal loss. Normally, we don't lose all reception, except for a few minutes during heavy thunderstorms.

I watched the Miami-Wisconsin game on ESPN360 instead, which was an interesting experience. Because we're in Texas, and the weather is irrational, the temperature rose above freezing later in the evening, and the snow melted. All 3 DVR's were back online before bedtime.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Difficult to truly peak a dish with questionable weather. Probably not worth even beginning the installation with the SWM (correct me folks) equipment that will lock the receiver if low signals are presented for activation.

Having a look at the transponder array should tell it all. If they are all low or clusters are missing something is blocking the signal.

Difficult to truly peak a dish with questionable weather!

Joe

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Dithering will get the dish peaked, but it still may not pass verification for activation.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That is my point...that verification idea...NUTS!...you can only tune what signal you can find. So why begin in bad weather if you are not going to get the rig activated and may be back charged. Had the same conversation about starting jobs after 5:00PM...Call centers for DirectSatUSA closed at nine and they too would not pay for unclosed jobs.

The end result of this is to get paid, right?

Joe

AND NO...customers expect Directv activation. Installers expect top be paid for their time.
    Any questions?

18. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    My wife lost signal @ around 3pm & we didn't receive the signal back until i came home from work, which was around 11pm. She was happy with the ample recorded shows we had archived on our behemoth ext HD., but she had to juggle a few recordings, which were set within that time window.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    There you go!
    This stuff rarely fails. When it does the weather also sends the kids home from school. A few spare movies couldn't hurt.

This is a + for recorders that DTV has not punched up at all!

Joe