Snow = No Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by awalt, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    I live in Baltimore, and for the last two hours I have not had any signal (0 on most dish/transponders) during our snowstorm. I have had the HD dish for about a year, I guess I am nervous about snow and assume/hope it's just the cloud cover that has knocked out the signal.

Anyone in this area, that can see they have a clear dish (mine is on roof and not easy to see) that also has no signal?

2. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I would have DirecTV come out and re-align the dish because unless it's a really heavy snow storm there should not be any signal fade really. I can tell right now your signals on a sunny day have to be lower than normal.

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

sorry I cannot confirm for sure for your area, but snow will for sure kill a signal, when the weather clears, spray the dish with rainx or WD-40

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I never have a problem with the snow until today. I am also in the Baltimore area and my signal has been out for over 2 hours for some reason.

5. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I have had huge storms here in Boston with noproblem at all. I use to have a problem as the wrong multiswitch was put in once Igot the right one I have had zero problems

6. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    It's a really heavy snow storm. I'm getting it now in Bristol PA.

7. btalbott

btalbott DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 15, 2006
    I live in Elkton and have had to brush off the dish 2x today. Have to find a better way..Don't want to stand a snow watch everytime it snows. I thnk its bad today because the temperature is so close to freezing and it's a "wet" snow.

Bill

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If snow is piled up on the dish, or over top of the feed horns, you lose most of the gain of the antenna....hence loss of signal. Not much you can do until it melts or you brush it off. This is one reason I have my two dishes mounted at broom height.:)

9. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Some people use cooking spray, Rain-X, WD-40 - other stuff.

I'd recommend to all that you check your signal strengths though when you do have no snow and a good weather day, as the dish really should be able to withstand a bit more snow punishment if you have good alignment.

Unless of course you've just been plain unlucky with snow piling up on the dish.

10. rucknrun

rucknrun AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    I live in Baltimore also. We have had no signal for a good 2 hours too. BOOO!

11. rucknrun

rucknrun AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    Nice brushed off the dish and everything is good to go woohooo!!

12. cmascatello

cmascatello Cool Member

Oct 12, 2007
    I am in NoVa and this wet, heavy snow has been falling all day here (4-5"). Our last snowfall a few months ago knocked out the HD on my Slimline until it melted -- lucky it was 50+ the next morning. After that nightmare I ordered a HotShot heating kit and it has made all the difference in the world today. Signals remain perfect and the dish is the only surface in the front or back of our house that is not covered in snow. I was a bit worried earlier today b/c I did not get the LNB heating attachment and there is a decent amount of snow on the arm and top of the Slimline LNBs. I would add the extra heating sticker but the damn dish it 30' up on the roof.

13. REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    about 4 to 5 inchs of wet snow here ,no problems with D*,i am have issues with wusa 9-1 dc ota,ice on antenna,bottom 1/2 of dish is covered with snow,top looks clear,sleet/rain is falling now

14. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Thanks for the idea, but my singals are in the 90s across the board in normal weather.

15. Scott J

Scott J Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    Nada in Philly. These Slimlines sure seem to be super sensitive to a little bit of snow.

16. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Looking to the future, would a snow rake like this work
    http://www.avalanche-snow.com/index.asp

or would it damage/whack the dish out of adjustment?

I can't really get up there on the roof to clean it, it's about 15-20' high.

Or should I just spray the dish with WD-40 in the spring?

17. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    I think you have to repeatedly apply anything you might spray on. Another radical suggestion I've read before is hooking a hose up to your hot water output of your washing machine and spraying the dish down with hot water. Or maybe a utility sink whose spout can be changed to accept a garden hose and using that.

18. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    risky. I got a small garden rake (plastic, 3 tine job) and glued it into the end of a 20' PVC pipe (thick walled version) it works perfect

19. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    I guess this snow was just so wet, the snow started to accumulate in spots on the dish/LNB where it normally wouldn't stick due to breeze etc...

20. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    If it was that wet, and your in Baltimore, maybe just some cold water from your garden hose is plenty to do the trick :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.