1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how would you upgrade this to HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kucharsk, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1 of 17
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm trying to sort out whether an installer actually could upgrade my mother-in-law's installation for HD.

The photo shows the current situation with the 18" dish - mounted to a wood beam attached under the eave. (The antenna mounted to the front is for long-distance Wi-Fi):

[​IMG]

This has worked well for over a decade for SD, but could an HD antenna be mounted here in place of it?

If not, does anyone have ideas as to what to do, given the underside of the eave is thin aluminum and the construction of the rest of the house is mortared stacked flagstone (none of which have a flat front)?

I'm trying to determine whether I should even call and ask for an HD install.

To recap what I've asked in a few other threads, my MIL wants to add a third receiver, and I thought this might make a good opportunity to upgrade to HD given all of the TVs are HD-capable already.

But it's starting to seem like just adding a multiswitch and buying another SD box might be the only rational thing to do without creating all sorts of hassles. :(

2. Jun 4, 2009 #2 of 17
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    No way in hell a tech is going to put a slimline there.

Looks to me like under eave is out of the question too.

And on a side note. You still have a working Sony dish. DANG. :lol:

3. Jun 4, 2009 #3 of 17
    putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    What about a pole mount directly under the current dish? I think you could go up to about 4 feet on a pole and still be stable. That would be pretty close to the LOS on the current dish, and could use the same wires snaked down the flagstone.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #4 of 17
    idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    I would post multiple threads.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #5 of 17
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Been there, done that.

6. Jun 4, 2009 #6 of 17
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Oh it gets better than that - the original receiver, a Sony SAT-A1, is one of the ones that is due to be replaced if she upgrades to HD, or will remain in use if not.

Works fine and has a handy Sony Control-S in jack on the back so the remote sensor on the Sony TV relays the remote signals to the receiver inside the solid front cabinet via a cord connecting their Control-S jacks. :D

A pole and running cable down the flagstone wouldn't be easy, either.

To give you a better idea of what I'm trying to deal with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jun 4, 2009 #7 of 17
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I apologize for posting in other threads - I don't know much about D* installs, being a DISH customer myself, and I'm trying to figure out what would work and what wouldn't on a very short time frame.

She just wanted a third TV added and as I mentioned, since they're all HDTVs already, I figured going HD at the same time would be a natural.

Now it's looking to be a major headache and it looks like a multiswitch and an SD box may be the route I have to take. :(

8. Jun 4, 2009 #8 of 17
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    you could pole mount that next to the garage, anchor the cables up under the over hang... Put a SWM and use the existing cabeling going into the house....

Just a thought.....

9. Jun 4, 2009 #9 of 17
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Why not just mount it to the roof? If it leaks, which it is very unlikely to do, it will be in the soffit if the dish is near the gutter. If farther back and it leaks, the car might get wet. Oh, well!

10. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Not a bad idea save for the very large tree off to the left of the garage; you can see one of its branches to the left of the antenna in the top photo of the two above. :(

11. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    I readily understand that a Directv installer would not mount a slimline in place of the existing antenna. However, if it were my home (or my mother's) I would have no problem doing so. The 'mount' appears to be a piece of 2x6, I would replace that with a new piece of 2x8, pressure treated. Install a SWM LNB with new HD receivers and utilize existing coax.

An alternate mounting location would appear to be on the roof to the right of the present location in the area that is setback for the door and window. A Directv installer may consider installing in that location. The concern would be whether he would provide SWM equipment with only three receivers.

12. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Well I could buy my own SWM dish, but everything I've seen says you need to use the special D* ASL device to aim an SWM dish.

Isn't the dish (either one) free if D* does the upgrade install, or are you charged for the dish either way?

Once again, I apologize for asking so many questions; I really wish I could just have her call D* but as you can see the installer would just take one look and say they couldn't do it anyway. :(

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I would advise against a bigger piece of with, even pressure treated. Over time it will warp.
    Also you'd have very little room to place any monopoles.

Dish would be free with upgrade.

My advise if you don't want to penetrate the roof. Get a non pen mount for a pitched roof. Most likely you'll be on your own for that since AFAIK D* doesn't stock those.
    I would also get the cinderblocks to weigh the NPR down.
    With a decent tip the tech wouldn't have a problem mounting the dish on that.

14. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    In my area, where the techs are DirecTV Home Services employees, the tech would be required to find an alternative LOS location. Possibly pole mount from the back? If no LOS was found, a field supervisor would check it out.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Understand that the wind loading on the mast foot varies as the cube of the dish area and in this case, the area of the dish is more than double that of the existing dish (574 .vs 254).

16. wildbill129

wildbill129 Godfather

Dec 22, 2006
    Depending on how that board is attached to the eave, it could work. Although I would increase the size to a 4x...That would actually be a very strong mount. Your other option, and more attractive in my view, is go to a metal shop and buy a length of steel square tubing. Lag bolt it to the trusses above, and it would be extremely strong. Stronger than a pole mount if done right.

17. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks everyone.

I'll check things out the next time I make it out there, but it appears that for now I'll just have to add the multiswitch and do an SD install and leave HD for a future year (I only get out there once a year or so, as she lives in another state, and she doesn't have anyone else around who knows anything about any of this.) :(

As you can probably tell, one of the more interesting things about the current eave board it's mounted to is that it was bolted to the eaves a few years before the aluminum wrap was done, so the wrap actually goes up to the board on both sides. :)

Would installers normally be willing to do a roof mount?

If I install a multiswitch I was thinking of redoing what's there now and running two cables from the dish to a structured box in the garage where I'd bring in the two LNB cables and the OTA antenna cable and connect it to a 3x4 multiswitch, and run the outputs from there to the receivers. (No wall outlets in the house, all cables fed up from the basement.)

Something like this:

[​IMG]

The OTA signal would be diplexed onto the cable runs by the 3x4 multiswitch.

Am I correct in thinking that if I want to make the cabling HD-friendly for the future I would either need to run a third cable to the area a possible future HD dish would go, or I would need to provide my own SWM dish or SWM8 in the future (given the house will not have more than three receivers and D* won't provide SWM equipment for just three receivers?) (Power for the SWM will be a problem I'd need to solve in the future as there's not an outlet handy in the area either :()

I only want to have to crawl through the garage attic (there's an attic inside the garage where the OTA antenna lives) again once, so I'd like to future-proof things to the degree possible (thus the desire to move the multiswitch and splitters for the OTA antenna to a structured media box inside the house rather than leave them screwed haphazardly to the underside of the 2x the dish is mounted to.)

But I'd also like it to be possible for my MiL to be able to just call D* in the future if she wants to go HD and have the installer be able to swap out the dish and receivers and just bypass the multiswitch in the wiring box without her having to answer questions about how things work or are wired. She's in her 70s and simply has too many other things going on in her life right now, including being a caretaker for her husband, and isn't exactly a technogeek. She thus wants me to take care of these things, but it's hard to when I only get there once a year, know about satellite (C/Ku and DISH but nothing about DirecTV), and she lives 1,000 miles away.

Once again let me apologize for all my queries in advance; I had naïvely hoped all this could have been taken care of by scheduling an HD install for when I was there, but it appears it's too complex to address by a normal installer or by me in a single multi-day visit, aside from cleaning up the wiring already there to make it possible for an installer to update things at some date in the future.

Yes, it's depressing to know that I'll be having to install a D10 so that all three HDTVs in the house will have SD boxes attached, but it appears that may be the best I can do given the time constraints.