1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I bought an HR21 and 2 D12's from craigslist...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chrisyoon, Sep 28, 2009.

1. chrisyoon

chrisyoon New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    And called Directv to check the RID number... I was told that they couldn't until the box was connected, and only later found out on this forum AFTER I bought the boxes already, to ask for the Access Card Department...

So now I have 1 HR21 and 2 D12's sitting in my laundry room, with no access cards, and no way to get them activated because they're in collection... directv said that should the collections clear, I can buy new cards, and use them.

These were going to be a supplement to my H23 and have the H21 replace one of the D12s for the bedroom. I got a great deal on the 3 boxes, but now I don't know what to do with them... I tried placing an ad with a disclaimer spelling out what happened, and to basically have someone buy them for parts... but nothing yet. The orginal seller won't return my calls either... go figure...

Any ideas on what I can do with my shiny collection of directv receivers?

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Did you use paypal or some other means to protect purchases? That's the only thing I can think of.

Good luck,
    Tom

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A couple of options.

You've already mentioned selling them for parts.

Try and talk to someone at DirecTv to see if you can work something out to exchange those receivers for ones they will activate.

See if they will allow you to pay off whatever outstanding balance is on the account.

I run into this far to often. I fully understand their reason for the lease model and such. I do find it incredibly short sighted on their part to do nothing to get those receivers back and/or put them back into service on your account for a small fee.

Just seems like a waste.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As Tom stated, unfortunately, if you didn't use some sort of payment protection, you are probably out of luck. Unless the seller decides to have a change of heart and allows you to return them. You're actually lucky that DirecTV is letting you hold onto the receivers, they could feasibly request them back as they belong to them. Hopefully, they will clear the collections on that account and allow you to purchase access cards and activate them.

In regards to selling them for parts, remember you don't own those receivers. DirecTV does. And if you sell them, along with being in violation of the TOS (which doesn't quite apply yet, since you haven't activated them), you could be liable criminally for selling something that doesn't belong to you.

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

- Merg

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    D12's are going to be about worthless really. The HD DVR has a nice HD in it. Hope you got a really good deal.

You could also call them and see if they would be willing to send you recovery kits and give you some sort of discount off of a new receiver. Of course there is nothing to guarantee this at all so I wouldn't get any expectations.

You could also contact your local authorities but the only thing that you could do to get the money back would be small claims court. The main issue is if these people are willing to lose credit scores over DirecTV you probably won't be paid back without spending a lot of time.

6. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I assume you know who you bought the receivers from. Why not let him know you will let Directv know his name if he doesn't reimburse your money?

7. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Craigslist sales don't require any names...I've done several transactions where I never knew the buyers name, other than a first name...besides, D* probably already knows the name of the previous lease holder....

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Given that these receivers are almost certainly leased (and are therefore DirecTV's property, and were technically stolen), there is virtually zero chance of getting them activated. Even if the original account holder paid off their collections bill (unlikely), when the CSR attempts to order a new card, the system would only allow that card to go to the account holder (something the CSR probably didn't know). Leased receivers must be returned, cleared, and have a new access card installed before they can be activated on another account.

If only you'd checked here first... :(

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If it will make you feel any better, the seller is going to end up paying a very stiff price to DirecTV for non-returned equipment, well more than I'm sure he sold them to you for. Doesn't help you at all though.

10. chrisyoon

chrisyoon New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Well I got three remotes (one is RF capable), and three boxes for lets just say a price that I really don't mind losing... hence why the deal was probably too good to be true... I'll just try to unload it for a very cheap price... but doubt anyone would buy... what would you guys suggest as a price, with full disclosure of course, for someone to buy for parts? $50? $100?

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Since you don't own them any more than the guy who sold them to you did, I think you're just buying yourself trouble by trying to do the same thing that was done to you. You sell them for parts or any other reason, and what do you do when DirecTV tries to get them back from you?

Sucks you got burned, but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by trying to likewise unload them on someone else. :nono2:

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would be very careful with that. You technically do not own the boxes and selling them could get you into trouble. I would highly recommend contacting DirecTV and see what they can do for you. They will probably require you to send the boxes back and will send you recovery kits to do so. They might even discount some new boxes for you for helping them out. And don't think they don't have a note on your account that you have those boxes now since you called up to try to activate them. Worst comes to worst, you got 3 remotes out of the deal.

- Merg

13. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    :lol:

I'd scrap them for anything you can get. Sell the HD & remotes on ebay and trash the rest....

Then call DIRECTV and ask about an upgrade deal for you.

14. Xing

Xing Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    If the previous owner was charged the fee for not returning the equipment then the equipment becomes owned by the customer. So the equipment is not DTVs, but it is also not able to be activated unless the fees for the previous account are paid. Not a lot can be done. The only things worth a darn are the HDD in the HD-DVR and the remotes. Otherwise DTV will replace so why would I need to purchase the scraps.

15. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    I wouldn't send them back to DirecTV unless they were giving you a free HR21 and free D12s. It is your property now, even if it was stolen, you didn't know it at the time. Or the very least, DirecTV needs to reimburse you what you paid for the receivers from craigslist if you send them back to Directv.

16. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Holy crap, where did you go to law school? So if someone goes into your house and steals your stuff, and then sells it to me and I have no knowledge that it was stolen, your stuff is now legally mine? I don't think so.

17. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

sorry, but those boxes belong to directv. i'm surprised they haven't asked you to return them. yes, the original customer will be stuck with a hefty payment on 3 non returned boxes. but i don't see where you legally have the right to turn around and resell.

18. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Someone comes into my house, they die.

19. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmm .. Let's step back a bit .. no reason to bring death into this discussion.

Thank You.