So I guess an Uniteruptable Power Supply is useless with a HR21/AM21 combo?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Indiana627, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I have my HR21/AM21 combo plugged into a UPS, along with my eSata, stereo and TV. Our power went out at 3:30 today for an hour. The TV, stereo and eSata stayed on without even a flicker just like always, but my HR21 rebooted while the AM21 power light stayed on the entire time. When I used to have an HR20 (no AM21 required) and the power went out, the HR20 never rebooted. I guess the way the HR21 plugs into the AM21 for power must result in a slight delay - enough so that it causes a momentary loss of power to the HR21 and results in a reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this? This is my first power outage with the HR21/AM21 combo.

Can D* do something via a software update to prevent the HR21 from rebooting in a case like this? If not, what's the point of having it plugged into a UPS?

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I wonder if the UPS is just on the edge of being able to carry all the equipment and losing the A/C feed caused a slight voltage drop in the UPS. If so, the HR21 might be extra sensitive to voltage fluctuations, thus causing the reboot. If this is the case, you might consider a larger UPS, or take something off of it, like the A/V receiver or TV.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    My HR21/AM21 combo runs fine on my UPS, I have never had a problem when the power is interrupted.

4. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    No such problem here...the HR21-200/AM21 combo has never experienced a power related problem since being connected to a decent UPS. (many, many months)

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right, but the OP ALSO has his stereo and TV on the UPS. I'm guessing this is beyond what the UPS is rated for too.

6. TheMoose

TheMoose Icon

Jan 20, 2006
    Oklahoma
  7. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    To the OP, what size UPS do you have?

8. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    I also have an HR21/AM21 combo, and also feed it along with my TV, receiver, and everything else except my sub and shakers. I have no problems during outages. The UPS is rated at 2400va. I tend to turn the big stuff off if the power doesn't come back on fairly quickly, because I don't think the batteries would last very long with that kind of draw, but I've never had any issues.

9. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    stupid question here, but is the hr21/am21 on the battery side or the surge only side? the apc ups i have only has 1 side that is on the battery back up

10. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    Me too. I don't have an AM21, but the HR and eSATA have been fine.

On mine, having the TV on reduces the UPS power-back-up time by a *factor of 6*.
    If the power goes out for more than just a few seconds, I turn off the TV to get way more power-back-up time.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Same here and I have an HR20, HR21, AM21 and an eSATA all on the same UPS. I do not plug my TV and A/V Receiver into a UPS though, just surge.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I see what you're saying but I don't see how that would just affect the HR21. If the UPS is overloaded it should affect everything plugged into it.

13. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The HR's tend to be quite fussy about low voltage, in my experience.

14. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    That's why I only buy a UPS with AVR. :)

15. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    have 3, 2 hr20 and a hr21/am21 all on ups.. hr21-700 with am21 is on an apc750 and has survived every blink I've had (runs up to 20 minutes with tv on)...
    What brand/model do you have?

16. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, they are very fussy. Before adding the UPS to my system, the HR20 that I had was the quickest thing to go out when we'd have a low voltage issue. I have a gas range that shuts off gas to the cooktop when it detects a power loss. I thought it was sensitive, but the DVR is even more so.

17. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. I used this same UPS (I'll have to check on voltage rating later) with my HR20 and had the same other equipment (TV, stereo) all on the battery side and never had a problem. I guess I have added a 4th piece of hardware (eSata) to the battery side now, so maybe that's why I had the experience I did. Maybe this is an excuse to get a bigger UPS for the main TV set up and then move the current UPS to the bedroom HR21/AM21 and TV which is only on a surge protector now.

Thanks for all the insight. I feel better now about my course of action. Too bad I already made my Christmas list and there was no UPS on it!

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The UPS should be rated to support at least 110% of the full load created by the equipment plugged into it...preferably 125% rating.

I have 4 units in 4 locations, had a number of power-outs.....no problems on any of them whatsoever.

19. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have this Belkin 750VA UPS. When I got it, I only had an HR20, stereo and my first HDTV (Sony LCD rear projection). I now have same stereo, plus new Sony LCD flat panel, eSata, and HR21/AM21. So I've definitely added to the load. I feel foolish for not realizing that, but we moved to a new city this summer so I had a lot on my mind.

All that being said, how should I size up a new UPS? How do I know what size I need? Do I just look at the specs for each piece of equipment and add up the amps each use?

20. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    You may find that some of your devices don't list VA, but most probably do list watts. Generally watts <> VA (unless you're providing back-up to things like incandescent light bulbs or electric heaters). Add up the wattages of the devices you have, you might want to add a safety factor (20% should be conservative for this purpose), then look for a UPS that can handle that. If you can't find the watt rating of a particular UPS, assume it's about 60% of the VA rating. So, if your devices add up to 1000w, look for a UPS that can handle 1200w, or 2000VA. Hmmm, well, I guess the easy way is just add up your watts and double it for the VA rating. :D