1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I ordered a Genie, now what?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gordon Shumway, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1 of 17
    Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Just got off the phone ordering a Genie using the PP free replacement program. They are going to ship it to me so I just want to clarify one thing about installation. I have a SWM LNB so the picture below is a little inaccurate. The 4 wires from the dish are actually from a splitter fed by one wire from the LNB. I'm pretty sure I can eliminate everything circled in red, and just run the coax straight to the new receiver, or am I over simplifying it.?

[​IMG]

2. Oct 8, 2013 #2 of 17
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You're right, the Genie has built in DECA and no need for the aspects specific to the 20-100, the splitter and BSF. Coax directly into the Genie, done.

3. Oct 8, 2013 #3 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would however remove the gaming adapter and connect the Genie directly to your router or at the very least use a DECA BB adapter.

4. Oct 8, 2013 #4 of 17
    Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Not sure what you mean. There already is a DECA BB adapter there using a wireless adapter. Are you saying the Genie has a built in wireless capability, and the Lynksys & DECA BB adapters are unnecessary?

5. Oct 8, 2013 #5 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you get an HR44 it does have built in WiFi. But I always prefer a hard wired connection for video gear. I leave wireless strictly for my phones

6. Oct 8, 2013 #6 of 17
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You are correct. That's the simplest connection for your Genie.

Come back to this thread if you have a hiccup.

7. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    OK, the HR44 came today and I removed all the goodies inside the red line as shown in my OP. Plugged the coax directly into the HR44, got it authorized, and everything came up. Had some problems getting the internet to work, but got that worked out after a bit.

The last problem I have right now regards the RC71 remote. Took a while to figure out I kept failing because I was pushing Select instead of Enter. Finally got past that, and the TV setup worked fine. The Audio Receiver not so much. Put in the brand/model and the system said the code worked, and test it by pushing the Power button to see if it turns off. Oops, there is no power button on the remote like the older ones. I just pushed the off button, and it did shut it off so I acknowledged it worked. However, the On button wouldn't turn it back on. Did the volume control step, and that works. The problem is nothing turns the audio receiver on or off. The remote controls the volume just fine, but no on/off. Kind of odd as that Off button did work one time only. I know on the older remotes you did have to use the Power button to turn the audio receiver on & off. Is there some button on this RC71 that simulates the old Power button that I am missing?

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The RC71 will not power on/off the AV receiver.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly, the ON and OFF buttons on the RC71 are only mapped to the TV and DirecTV devices

10. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    OK, but doesn't that beg an obvious question? If it is not programmed in, why is turning the audio receiver Off the test to see if the code was working. Better yet, why did it work one time (only).

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I knew that was coming. I should add to my post "Exactly, the ON and OFF buttons on the RC71 are only mapped to the TV and DirecTV devices during normal operation"

The RC71 does not have a mode switch. while is in programming mode, is on the audio mode, and this is the only time the RC71 is on audio mode.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    TVs that have HDMI-CEC can turn off the AVR when the TV goes off

13. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG] Well, I guess that explains it, thanks.

14. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    OK, just one last question. Is the HR44 capable of feeding the internet signal over coax to other receivers? As you can see from the diagram above, I have a wireless adapter currently feeding a BB DECA feeding my HR22. The HR44 didn't seem to know the internet existed until I had it seek out the wireless signal on its lonesome.

If the HR44 can receive the wireless signal on its own (which it does), can it also feed the signal back to the HR22 through the coax? IOW can it act like the BB DECA and allow me to remove that Lynksys/BB DECA leg from the system as well?

15. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Duplicate post.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes

It the better then the older DVRs, but its programing is still rather basic. You probably have to lead it to find the not usually.

17. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Also, having multiple internet connection points will cause problems. You'll want to disconnect one of them. Personally I would prefer to keep the wired one behind the hr22 and troubleshoot why the 44 wasn't seeing the internet through the coax network.

#)