1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my replacement HR21-100 is giving me trouble again.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gio12, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    I called tech support for the 3rd time with the issues. This time the issues of freezing and channels going black for an extended period of time was happening.
    the CSR sees I have been having issues before and wants to schedule a service call to"see if the cables or wiring are bad." Well, they cant do after 3pm calls and I am NOT waiting here on the weekend. My tie is too valuable with family as I works 6 days a week. I pleated WHY when the cabling is fine and its does it upstairs on downstairs. My HR34 has been flawless in the family room, but when I move the Hr21 there, its has the dame issue. So its NOT the "wiring." So plead with to change in results. I said goodbye to the CSR and figured I would try something else. rap like this is WHY I hate DIRECTV.

Same issue the first time I called with the old DVR. 5 tries and finally got a CSR who sent out a replacement. I have the PP and this is only the 3rd time since 2000 I ever had a DVR go bad.

So I call back and say cancel. I explained my frustration and issue with the HR21 to that CSR. 3 mins later she gets a new DVR out and I thank her. So we chit chat about football and offered me the ST for 1 year for free as a loyalty gift. I told them to keep it, as honestly, i can't reap the benefits of it. But thanked her. I said 10 years ago before kids, hell yeah!

She asked me what i think of DIRECTV, my service and pricing. i said I was overall happy when I get service like this. I did mention bill gettign high and I know in part, its due to the fees form the networks. But happy in general.Shen then offered me 20 off my bill for 2 years as a thank you! it was an immediate credit as I payed my bill today and it was $20 cheaper.

This was unexpected and I wanted was a damn new DVR. Times like this, is why I love DIRECTV and what I expect form a good company at times for loyalty when your loyal.

So lets see how the new DVR works out.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Hope it works for you.

Generally speaking, the new stuff is on the trucks. So if possible, I'd take the service call instead of them shipping me one.

But not always as I learned this past weekend

Again, good luck.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I feel your pain. My HR21 keeps getting replace by another HR21 that will last anywhere from months to just over an year.

The current one is on its last leg as most of it recordings are partials. I'm just not in the mood to the DirecTV DVR shuffle just to get another refurbish timebomb.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #4 of 17
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    New receiver arrived today. It's an HR24! Yeah. But now the HR22 won't fit in the box to ship out :rolleyes

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5. Oct 1, 2013 #5 of 17
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    This sounds like a switch or wiring issue to me.

6. Oct 1, 2013 #6 of 17
    FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Call and see if they want that receiver back. They may just want the access card.

7. Oct 2, 2013 #7 of 17
    otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    sounds like they did a upgrade not a equipment replacement or they did a speical model request for you due to your loyality with the company.
    Is there a return shipping label with the new unit?
    If yes call and request a new kit to get a box that will fit it.
    If no wait a month you will get a box from FedEx time line is upto 21 bis days from deactivation of the unit for the kit to be shipped and than the 21 bis days to return prior to getting charged starts at that point.

8. Oct 2, 2013 #8 of 17
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    And watch your bill carefully to be sure you don't get charged for keeping it.

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 17
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Nope, its all goo and signals are 98-100%.

10. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Yes, there is and will call.

11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Well the HR24 is installed and guess what? The Ethernet port appears dead! I have done a rest of everything and restarted my router. Cant connect to the intern and the light won't come on, on the port. The HR22 was working before the swap.
    Now I am PISSED! How do you sent out broken equipment that was "refurbished." :bang :down: :sure:

12. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Well the HR24 is installed and guess what? The Ethernet port appears dead! I have done a rest of everything and restarted my router. Cant connect to the intern and the light won't come on, on the port. The HR22 was working before the swap.
    Now I am PISSED! How do you sent out broken equipment that was "refurbished." :bang :down: :sure:

you're not trying to use the hr22's DECA are you.

#)

13. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    The HR24 has a built in DECA to use with MRV service. so just connect the coax right to it like your HR34 has. it will auto detect and connect. If you connect the Ethernet cable to it you will disable the MRV service on the unit.
    you may have to reboot the unit after removing the deca and Ethernet from it to get it working.

14. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    LOL, had no idea and no one told me. We'll I took kit off and still no luck.

We I ask here before calling and complaining to DIRECTV.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Need more details. Did you have Whole Home with more receivers or is the HR24 you only receiver?

16. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Ok, 2 red button rest after removing he DECA adapter and it worked!!

As always thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

17. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Excellent give it 48 hours to get all the guide data and prior to setting up any Boolean auto records you may use.
    You can set up any series links if you can find the show in the guide as they appear.