1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what happens after two years?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MadMac, May 14, 2009.

1. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    That is the question. I'm presently a little over halfway through my initial two year commitment, satisfied with the service and no plans to change. However, once that two years is up, what happens? Is another commitment "period" required, or is it "cancel anytime"?

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    No commitment... You can cancel at anytime without penalty.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The commitment was required so that DirecTV could guarantee money from you to pay for the subsidized equipment you are using. No more commitment needed unless you change equipment. Therefore, you are free to cancel without a cancelation fee.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm commitment free right now. Just a regular "sail along until you want to quit" mode. If you do add/upgrade equipment at some point, you'll have to recommit, but as long as you don't do that it's just business as usual. If you do want/need to quit, though, you are not subject to any early termination charges.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Once out of the commitment you can 'use' that position to get deals on either programming [ mostly without a new commitment ] or equipments [ mostly with new commitment. Or just sail along.

6. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    Your HR-20 will stop working requiring a new DVR and a new 2 year committment.:lol:

7. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    replacing a defective leased unit does not reset the commitment. Only upgrading or adding addititonal does.

8. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    It's not supposed to reset the commitment!;)

9. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    need to make all the CSRs write that 100 times.

10. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I doesn't reset the commitment. As with any other transaction, should a CSR make a mistake you can simply call and have it corrected or wait and see if it becomes an issue and have it corrected at that time. Either way, you are not commited.