So what should I do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H24/HR24 Field Trial (private)' started by mikhu, Mar 24, 2010.

1. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I'm having a serious DVR dilemma. :lol:

I currently have an AT-9 that splits in to two WB68's feeding my four DVR's. I have things set to record on all of them and we use MRV to watch stuff from two of the four in the living room on one of the HR21's. I really want to put the HR24 in the living room to give it a good test run but it's not ready for prime time yet so I can't pull my HR21 that's in there quite yet.

So, the way I see it I have two options.

Option 1 - I could buy the SWM8 and a splitter which would allow me to use the two lines I have in the living room already to run the HR21 and the HR24 side by side. I'm not crazy about this idea because I'll be spending about $75 for parts I don't "need", or at least I won't need after a couple weeks or so.

Option 2 - I can get BBC's from DIRECTV or someone here and hook the HR24 up downstairs. I could do this because the TV is close to the room with the multiswitches and I could just run two cables under the door for now over to the HR24. The problem here is I don't watch TV down there very much outside of football season so I wouldn't get to use the HR24 very much.

I don't like either option really. I don't like option 1 because it seems like a waste of money and I hate wasting money. I don't like option 2 because the tv is weak (old LCD RP) and I don't watch much TV down there this time of year.

WHAT DO I DO? :confused:

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    spend the money you cheapscate :p :lol:

Many of us have spent more on tests than the test stuff would have been retail :lol: tvs, cable, time :lol:

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    get the swm8, you won't regret it.
    with SIH its still worth it.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Of course there is a 3rd option - send your HR24 to me, and I'll do your testing for you. :D

OK - seriously - perhaps the BBC route will get you there the quickest and in the least costly way. It is important that we have a good mix of test situations, and yours sounds like one that would be good for these purposes.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Get the SWM you cheap B@*#&$^. :lol:

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Oh, and IMO the HR24 is much more "ready for primetime" than my HR21 that's now sitting ready for deactivation ever was. Only thing missing is MRV, which is coming... SOON? :lol:

7. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Man up and move your new frame to the living room. It'll make the test a family experience. Show them who's boss.

8. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Says the guy who coaches people on not wasting money. :sure:

That's my other thought - maybe I do actually cascade the HR21's, set the R16 aside, and hope for MRV "soon".

9. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yep, the HR24 is ready to become your new LR box.

I'll make you a deal on a SWM8 just as soon as I get my SWM16. ;)

10. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I should really get some BBC's no matter what, in case I have failures on any of my boxes. For those of you who called DIRECTV to get some new ones, did you just call the main number or some other number?

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I've got piles of them sitting around if you don't have any luck... let me know.

12. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Same here.

13. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I called the main number and got two BBC's on order. Man do I HATE that obnoxious voice prompt system. That is my absolute least favorite thing about being a DIRECTV customer. :mad:

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you get set up with SWM now, you'll be that much closer to taking advantage of DECA if we'll be able to purchase DECA adapters.

- Merg

15. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I thought about that, but as I've posted a couple other times I believe I have a multiswitch or a LNB that is slowly failing (although I haven't seen the SFS message lately). I'm hoping it's the LNB so I can get a Slimline as a replacement under the PP and then just put the SWM LNB on. Cheaper that way ya know. :sure:

16. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Marginally. Go buy a SWM ya cheap B@(*$&%. :lol:

17. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    For BBCs I called the main number. I got the BBC the next day. Tracking made it appear as if it was sitting in a FedEx warehouse.

I agree about the automated attendant. I hate that one and it rival's Verizon's as the worst ever.

18. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I made the mistake of running both options past SWMBO. She naturally told me to go the cheap route. :rolleyes:

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Wow. You are just not smart at all, are you? :nono2:

"Sweetie, let's go out to dinner Friday night. Oh yeah, speaking of Friday nights and CEs and all... I have to buy a new switch for testing but on the upside we're getting the fastest DVR ever made for free... you're gonna love it!"

See? Jeez, didn't you learn anything??

20. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    !rolling
    I know, I just never learn. She's different than most, with her asking for forgiveness is not necessarily easier than asking for permission. :lol: