Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Melissa & Ade

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Kayla & Max

Votes: 2 22.2%

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 18)

2K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Henry 
#1 ·
Tony didn't get one and Paris went to Paris .. Now we're down to 18.

Sure hope this week is as good as last week.

#2 ·
I thought last night that Melissa and Ade jumped to the front of the pack. Very well choreographed and very well danced.

Kayla and Max also had another great week, so those two couples have probably solidified a spot in the top 10.

Jeanette and Branden .. :eek: .. That was one heck of a routine. While I noticed a couple of mistakes along the way .. that was one crazy dance. Any mistake was well overshadowed by some really good stuff.

The most beautiful dance of the night .. without a doubt was Asuka and Vitolio. I wasn't quite as speechless as Mary, but that was phenomenal.

The bad .. Shane Sparks .. Dude, you've got some dancers this year. Let's up the game a bit. Maybe you've been gone from the show too long. I'm not buying Nigel's comments. The routines were weak which made the dancers look weak. As a result, either Ashley, Kūpono, Caitlan & Jason should be worried. Of those four, I thought Ashley did the best job. The last couple I believe will be in the bottom three are Randi & Evan .. but it should be the Tango.

As for the Tango, Phillip showed both his weakness and his strength in that one dance. Clearly some of these things are new for him, but his upper body was held very well, but there were some missteps along the way also. Even before Nigel mentioned it, I was saying .. boy, Tango after the professional couple from last week? .. It's no where near that good. They will suffer simply because of that.

#3 ·
I saw the first hour of the show... I'll see the rest tonight. Doug I agree with you that Brandon & Jeannette and Melissa & Ade were excellent. I was disappointed with Evan and Randy though.

Did anyone else who watches the LA feed (KTTV-11) have a lot of errors and blocks on the screen last night? It looked almost as if the receiving antenna was misaligned.

#4 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Did anyone else who watches the LA feed (KTTV-11) have a lot of errors and blocks on the screen last night? It looked almost as if the receiving antenna was misaligned.
I was going to ask the same thing. The entire first hour almost was blocking and error filled.

I agree with Doug, I think Shane has been gone from the show for a little while too long and the dancers have just gotten better. When he was the only hip-hop choreographer, his routines were always the bright spot on performance night. Now if you were to put one of his up against Tabitha and Napoleon, I think his would seem very basic and lacking.

Sonja and Louis both choreographed AMAZING routines last night. Doriana's disco routine has to have been the fastest routine I have ever seen; how Brandon and Janette were even standing after that sprint around the floor.

Best Dancer of the night(for me): Kayla. The choreographers are going to be able to throw anything at her and she will make it look easy.

I've always thought Phillip was going to be the Twitch of the season; last night when the tango started I could tell that he was going to have a hard time with it. He started out really rocky but managed to still amaze with how well he did considering his lack of training.

I am looking forward to the group routine as Mia is choreographing it.

#5 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
I saw the first hour of the show... I'll see the rest tonight. Doug I agree with you that Brandon & Jeannette and Melissa & Ade were excellent. I was disappointed with Evan and Randy though.
We're in the same situation, watching the 1st half last night, and we'll pick up the 2nd half tonight.

And I agree with your assesments, as well.

Also... is it just me, or was Mary especially annoying last night? Generally, she doesn't grate on me TOO much, but last night, for some reason, everything about her was nails on the chalkboard for me.

And Little C.... some of his critique's make you scratch your head and say "What, exactly, does that mean?". Modifying your manipulation of movement?

#6 ·
Mrs. Shadow laughs, but I now keep the finger on the mute button any time Ms. Murphy starts to talk. She's a brilliant choreographer and dance judge, but it's a shame she has to make a sound like a truck with bad brakes.

#7 ·
I could do without the shrill, but Mary is definitely a good Judge. Her critiques are usually very helpful. Her exuberance turns into screaming, but when that happens, you know she really liked it.

Now as the for the Hot Tamale Train .. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we've only had two rides this year and both were by Kayla and Max.

#8 ·
I absolutely agree she's a great judge, and I didn't mean to infer otherwise. That's actually one of the things I like most about SYTYCD versus some of the other "talent contests" on TV - the judges are, IMO, the best. They really care about dancing, and they really care about the contestants, and the vast majority of their comments are helpful for the dancers, pointing out where they need to improve, etc.

There was just something about her last night that was getting on my nerves. Her screeching can, at times, be a tad annoying.... Last night though, just seemed over the top. Maybe my last nerve was already irritated and she wasn't any worse than normal... I don't know. :)

#9 ·
Sharkie_Fan said:
Also... is it just me, or was Mary especially annoying last night? Generally, she doesn't grate on me TOO much, but last night, for some reason, everything about her was nails on the chalkboard for me.

And Little C.... some of his critique's make you scratch your head and say "What, exactly, does that mean?". Modifying your manipulation of movement?
LOL! I find the most annoying thing about Mary is that her face no longer moves! BOTOX Queen!

Lil C needs to get off his high word horse. He says all this crap that no one understands. It makes him absolutley useless as a judge. Give me Adam Richman any day. I think that "Modifying your manipulation of movement" really means. "Changing the way you move".

#10 ·
Doug Brott said:
I could do without the shrill, but Mary is definitely a good Judge. Her critiques are usually very helpful. Her exuberance turns into screaming, but when that happens, you know she really liked it.

Now as the for the Hot Tamale Train .. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we've only had two rides this year and both were by Kayla and Max.
Mary can scare a dead dog with how shrill she gets. We just ffwd through her comments or mute them either one. Kayla has been on the train twice. Max only once.

dmspen said:
LOL! I find the most annoying thing about Mary is that her face no longer moves! BOTOX Queen!

Lil C needs to get off his high word horse. He says all this crap that no one understands. It makes him absolutley useless as a judge. Give me Adam Shankman any day. I think that "Modifying your manipulation of movement" really means. "Changing the way you move".
There I fixed it for you. :)

#11 ·
So, did everyone have fun [1]? I know I had fun [2], and my wife had fun [3] and the judges were having fun [4] ... how about the dancers? Where they having fun [5]? And did the choreographers have more fun [6]than the dancers? I somehow doubt it. I mean, Brandon was having more fun [7] than you can shake a stick at!

I'm also glad there was no funny [7½] business last night. :sure:

#12 ·
HDG said:
So, did everyone have fun [1]? I know I had fun [2], and my wife had fun [3] and the judges were having fun [4] ... how about the dancers? Where they having fun [5]? And did the choreographers have more fun [6]than the dancers? I somehow doubt it. I mean, Brandon was having more fun [7] than you can shake a stick at!

I'm also glad there was no funny [7½] business last night. :sure:
And I thought I was the only one having fun 8.

OK it got annoying last night and could only serve to do so here as well.

#13 ·
jodyguercio said:
And I thought I was the only one having fun 8.

OK it got annoying last night and could only serve to do so here as well.
Good thing Evan thought of that :lol:

#14 ·
When she offers it, Mary gives excellent critiques, but sometimes when she really likes something, she seems to just gush and scream--not interesting or helpful in my opinion.

I felt that after all the excitement and excellence of week 1, week 2 was kind of a let-down. More contestants struggled with their dance choices and Lil C's comments dragged it down--with the only exception being the disco routine. I think it was the best disco choreography done on this show and the pace was killer!! Even with Janette's small mistake, it was excellent. The disco routines are generally death with the duo in the bottom the next night. I hope/think Branden and Janette will avoid bottom three, and Lil C seemed to change his mind about Branden. :D

I thought the judges were more critical of Evan and Max than either deserved, though I saw what was meant. Ade and ___ looked good too. I thought the very pink tights of his partner were distracting me from seeing Ade though. I felt I had to focus more to really see what he was doing. I agree that something was amiss with the Shane Sparks choreography, but I'm not sure what it was. The "hip hop" routine that Ashley and Kupono did seemed too similar to their performance of last week even though last week's wasn't hip hop. Shane's choreography couldn't match Wade Robson's in my estimation, so it felt a bit flat.

I'm guessing both couples doing Shane's routines and the pair doing the tango should be in the bottom three.

I think only Kayla was on the "hot tamale train" last night. It sounded like Mary was excluding Max this week.

I'm interested to see what the voters think tonight. I was right with them last week. :lol:

#16 ·
Doug Brott said:
Good thing Evan thought of that :lol:
Hey he might be a member here, know anyone who could find out? :lol:

#17 ·
Last night was a bit of a let down. But three couples really stood out for me: Max and Kayla, Brandon and Jannette, Ade and Melissa. I thought Vitolio (sp?) and Askua (sp?) redeemed themselves nicely. Evan and Randi was okay. Karla and Jonathan were better than average. The two couples that did the Shane Sparks routine - blah. The tango was a hot mess. I think it was a combination of Shane Sparks choreography and the dancers that made their routines -blah.

#18 ·
Charise said:
When she offers it, Mary gives excellent critiques, but sometimes when she really likes something, she seems to just gush and scream--not interesting or helpful in my opinion.

I felt that after all the excitement and excellence of week 1, week 2 was kind of a let-down. More contestants struggled with their dance choices and Lil C's comments dragged it down--with the only exception being the disco routine. I think it was the best disco choreography done on this show and the pace was killer!! Even with Janette's small mistake, it was excellent. The disco routines are generally death with the duo in the bottom the next night. I hope/think Branden and Janette will avoid bottom three, and Lil C seemed to change his mind about Branden. :D

I thought the judges were more critical of Evan and Max than either deserved, though I saw what was meant. Ade and ___ looked good too. I thought the very pink tights of his partner were distracting me from seeing Ade though. I felt I had to focus more to really see what he was doing. I agree that something was amiss with the Shane Sparks choreography, but I'm not sure what it was. The "hip hop" routine that Ashley and Kupono did seemed too similar to their performance of last week even though last week's wasn't hip hop. Shane's choreography couldn't match Wade Robson's in my estimation, so it felt a bit flat.

I'm guessing both couples doing Shane's routines and the pair doing the tango should be in the bottom three.

I think only Kayla was on the "hot tamale train" last night. It sounded like Mary was excluding Max this week.

I'm interested to see what the voters think tonight. I was right with them last week. :lol:
Agree. Brandon and his parner deserved kudos for a great performance -especially in light of Mandy's fading star. It took a lot of stamina, rhythm and training to deliver that piece. Well done!

I'm not at all surprised at Lil C's apparent change of heart - in fact, I even wonder if he really felt all the nasties he threw at Brandon during auditions. I know this is cruel, but I actually look forward to his appearances on the panel just to see what or how he says next. It can be quite amusing to see Nigel furl his brow.

Mary can come across as a ditzy blowhard at times, but I agree with you that she is worth listening to. She didn't get the judging position for her screaching abilities or have a patent to the hot tamale train. There is valuable, useful information there, if you bother to overlook the other stuff.

Shane should have stayed home and Sonya did a great piece. Then there's Mia ... I'll be watching her group routine with keen interest tonight.

Lastly, I didn't care for the Tango, not because it wasn't good, but because last week's Tango was still bouncing around in my head. Compared to perfection, anything less gets greatly criticized.

#19 ·
HDG said:
Lastly, I didn't care for the Tango, not because it wasn't good, but because last week's Tango was still bouncing around in my head. Compared to perfection, anything less gets greatly criticized.
I think the tango had to be pretty basic because of the skill levels of the dancers. Tony Meredith even commented that he was "surprised by their lack of ballroom knowledge." In my mind Phillip, in particular, let the team down on this one.

However, last week's professionals did an awesome routine flawlessly. It was great, dare I say it, fun to watch. :D

Mary is a good choreographer too. I wish she would do more, but I don't know if she will any more. I seem to remember them saying a few seasons that she would just be a permanent judge from then on.

Oh, I wanted to add for the E* people--have you noticed that the guide data still lists Joshua Allen? He was last season's winner. :D

#20 ·
Charise said:
I haven't seen the results yet (being on the West Coast) .. However, no way Tango Team is in the bottom three. Phillip has a big following. I do, however, agree that they should be in the bottom three this week.

#21 ·
Charise said:
I think the tango had to be pretty basic because of the skill levels of the dancers. Tony Meredith even commented that he was "surprised by their lack of ballroom knowledge." In my mind Phillip, in particular, let the team down on this one.

However, last week's professionals did an awesome routine flawlessly. It was great, dare I say it, fun to watch. :D

Mary is a good choreographer too. I wish she would do more, but I don't know if she will any more. I seem to remember them saying a few seasons that she would just be a permanent judge from then on.

Oh, I wanted to add for the E* people--have you noticed that the guide data still lists Joshua Allen? He was last season's winner. :D
I agree ... overall, Phillip was a letdown. I think he was lucky to escape the bottom last night. I know jody thinks he has the potential to be the Twitch of the season, but if he his, he's sure making a slow start of it.

Mary should do some choreographing. I don't know what's keeping her from doing it. Too bad ... I think we're losing out.

Yeah, the guide keeps showing Joshua's name. Interesting.

Last night, I was surprised to see Max go, but in the end, I realized (as Nigel suggested) that he was constrained by his own dance style.

#22 ·
I was very disappointed to see Max go. I think he's incredibly talented, and I think Kūpono is a one-note dancer. I haven't seen anything yet from him to suggest he'll be versatile. I was hoping that Max would bring a bit more class and a bit less "skank" to the show.

Overall I was very pleased with the level of dancing and the level of technicality. I'd like to see more maturity though, and I think that will come. It is after all only week two.

#24 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
I was very disappointed to see Max go. I think he's incredibly talented, and I think Kūpono is a one-note dancer. I haven't seen anything yet from him to suggest he'll be versatile. I was hoping that Max would bring a bit more class and a bit less "skank" to the show.

Overall I was very pleased with the level of dancing and the level of technicality. I'd like to see more maturity though, and I think that will come. It is after all only week two.
Yes, I agree, Stuart. Giving them a side-by-side comparison, Kūpono was the weaker dancer IMO. I'm sure that Max would have eventually left the competition - his style is too ingrained - but at this stage, it was a bit premature.

There's a nice horse race shaping up this season ... more so than I expected after the excellence of Season 4.

#25 ·
Doug Brott said:
I was surprised that .. while still no chance she was leaving .. they weren't fawning over Kayla as much after the Solo as they were on the previous evening.
Maybe it's too soon. Most of the judges are still formulating their favs. It might be a while before you hear a chorus.

#26 ·
HDG said:
Maybe it's too soon. Most of the judges are still formulating their favs. It might be a while before you hear a chorus.
Ashley was definitely the right one to send home from the three choices, but it seemed that Kayla had a chance to be the one picked (albeit slim) .. That is what surprised me.

I thought they got it wrong with the guys, but here I wonder if they are trying to see how Kupono & Kayla match up. If the didn't think Max were so limited, he would have stayed. His Solo, IMHO, was significantly better than Kupono's and really, I thought it was the best of the three.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.