1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 20)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Jun 10, 2009.

Who are your favorites?

1. Jeanine & Phillip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Asuka & Vitolio

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Karla & Jonathan

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Randi & Evan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Paris & Tony

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Caitlan & Jason

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Ashley & KÅ«pono

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Janette & Brandon

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Melissa & Ade

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Kayla & Max

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'll add a poll as soon as I understand the format (just making sure there are no changes from last year :)).

Top 10 Girls
    Ashley Valerio
    Asuka Kondoh
    Caitlin Kinney
    Janette Manrara
    Jeanine Mason
    Karla Garcia
    Kayla Radomski
    Melissa Sandvig
    Paris Torres
    Randi Evans

Top 10 Guys
    Ade Obayomi
    Brandon Bryant
    Evan Kasprzak
    Jason Glover
    Jonathan Platero
    Kupono Aweau
    Max Kapitannikov
    Phillip Chbeeb
    Tony Bellissimo
    Vitolio Jeune

On the Guys side, I look for Evan, Tony and Phillip to entertain ..

On the Girls side, Jannette, Asukah and Caitlin ..

I'll likely set the vote based on couples, but it will likely be the guy and girl with the lowest votes regardless of couple.

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Poll added .. Vote for the couples you liked the best

3. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I thought the following three couples were much better than the others:

Jeanine & Phillip
    Melissa & Ade
    Kayla & Max

All three couples were at mid-season form on week 1. Kudos to you.
    In addition to the three really great jobs .. the other 7 couples did really good. The folks that performed the poorest of the group?

Asuka & Vitolio
    Paris & Tony

But still, even those guys danced well. I didn't think there was a single bad dance tonight. Great show.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Doug, I'm in complete agreement with you here. I even liked Jeannine and Philip's dance number, even though it was called "hip hop." I thought it was very emotional and it was a great performance from both dancers, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

On the other hand I did not enjoy Paris' and Tony's hip hop dance. This seemed like the same Super-Mario-Bros. style, angry hip hop that I will probably never like. The same can be said for Randi and Evan's jazz dance. I thought this was a stereotype of everything I dislike about jazz and contemporary dancing... there was no attachment at all to the music.

I was disappointed by Asuka and Vitolio because I'm a big fan of Broadway dance and this just seemed to have a lack of commitment. On the other hand, I was totally blown away by Kayla and Max's samba. It was great to see Louis van Amstel have some real talent to work with here. He always does a great job on Dancing with the Stars when he choreographs the pros, but here I think he outdid himself, and the dancers stepped up and delivered the best samba I remember seeing, ever.

Overall I was very impressed by the calibre of dancing, and now that I know to have the mute button at the ready any time Ms. Murphy speaks, I'm excited about this season!!

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I thought the Crash Test Dummies was sheer genius. It was one of those "I hate it' or 'I love it' kind of performances.

The Bollywood performance was amazing too. All in all, these guys are weeks ahead of last year.

6. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Crash Test Dummies was #4 on my list from last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed Bollywood, but Janette and Brandon's Foxtrot gets the nod @ #5.

It's a good top 20 this year. I don't want to see any of them leave.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I won't go so far as to say that... I would choose Paris to be the first young lady to go, and there are a few guys who have failed to make a real impression on me so far.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Jeannine and Phillip were very smooth! I looooove choreography from Tabitha and Napoleon!

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Too many new names... too soon to remember them ... they should wear numbers for the first three-four weeks! :sure:

Nice first show, I thought. Strong competition this season. Now I can enjoy an entire program withough dull spots. Time to sit back, enjoy and watch for the break-outs.

[Edited to add:] Oh, almost forgot. I didn't vote. It's too soon for me to make an objective assessment. Others will vote, no doubt ... but you have to wonder how much of that is chemistry and not talent? I'll wait a few weeks, although I do have favorites.

10. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    OK having finally watched Wed and Thurs nights shows, I can almost totally agree with everything that has been said here so far. Great dancing to start the season and it seems that this is by far the most talented top 20 yet.

New game: Try and identify the choreographer of the group number on the results show. You'll be surprised by how fast you learn the choreographers style of dance. I guessed Shane Sparks as last nights just after the dance started. My wife thought it was Tabitha and Napoleon.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I got it wrong. I guessed Wade. :nono2:

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I should have named my third bottom 3 couple as I actually got that one right. Unfortunately, I truly forgot about Karla & Jonathan . When I saw the recaps I immediately remembered that they could have done better. I guess the fact that I couldn't remember them doesn't bode well for a long tenure.

13. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Where's Fred and Ginger...?

14. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I missed it this week. I need to rec next week, hope its as good as last season.

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Welcome to the human race. Live long and prosper. :D

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    It's shaping up to be a scorcher of a season, turey. I would recommend you set a timer and let it be.

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Watch out for Brandon, guys. He's starting to show some real talent.

Phillip, too, but I don't think the producers will allow another street dancer to take it this soon after Joshua.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Agreed and if you get a chance, the performance show and the group dance on results night were all good. The three at the bottom were definitely the worst three, but even they were enjoyable.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Alot of these "reality" shows seem to be upping the ante with the talent pools in them each year.

There are simply some really skilled people not making the cut since there are just better people.

20. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Brandon is going to come across as another Danny if he's not careful. Simply phenomenal dancer with an aloofness to him.

Talent-wise at this point, there is Phillip and everyone else. He's the only guy on the show with no formal training under his belt yet he made it through Vegas week. And that was with just a little while to do a style or styles he wasn't familiar with. What is he going to be like with a few days to prep for a style. Can't wait to see it.

Thinking back on this week some more, is Wade Robson on another plane of existence or what? He comes up with the funkiest music and routines that are always ones that stick with me for a while.