Sodastream

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1 of 22
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    So does anyone have a Sodastream?

I purchased one yesterday and tried a bunch of flavores and I must admit that the sodas are not bad!

2. Feb 6, 2012 #2 of 22
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I got one as a Christmas present. I use it occasionally, but so far prefer what I can buy. I think the issue is the flavors are so concentrated if you miss the mark by a fraction, it can really throw off the taste.

Next time we go out to Sam's Club, I am going to buy a Bag-in-Box of Diet Coke or Coke Zero and see how that works. It is not as concentrated so maybe it will be better.

I also read online that there are other places to get syrups, but I have not tried them yet. I do notice a difference in taste when I use the filtered water from the Refrigerator vs. straight from the tap, but don't really notice this when just drinking water.

3. Feb 6, 2012 #3 of 22
    TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    I got one for Christmas, too. I really like it. Not sure I am saving a lot of money... but the kids seem to enjoy making the different flavors. So far, the root beer and Dr. Pepper flavors are the best. The diet cola flavor is almost identical to diet coke.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #4 of 22
    nydave

nydave Cool Member

Nov 15, 2007
    i also got one of these for christmas. works well but you need a lot of bottles to match the flavor choices of family members. the difference in taste could also be the fact that the syrups use a different sweetener than the bottled or canned soda. off the top of my head, cant remember what the sweetener that is used. supposed to be better for you.

5. Feb 6, 2012 #5 of 22
    shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I've got one but only make carbonated water - no flavor. Like it better that way.

6. Feb 6, 2012 #6 of 22
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    This is the first I've heard of it but doing a bit of investigating it does not appear to make much sense ($$$).

Forget the cost of the machine and CO2.
    The diet soda syrup itself is $5 and makes 12 liters. That works out to $0.42 per liter.

I can regularly get 2 liter bottles Pepsi or Coke products for $0.88.
    Sodastream would be $0.02 less per liter.

Now check the CO2.
    The most economical way to buy this is with 4 of their 130 liter refills at $100.
    That's enough for 520 liters for $100 or $0.19 per liter.

Now Sodastream costs $.061 per liter. It's never difficult to find Coke or Pepsi for $1 per 2 liter bottle which makes Sodastream $.11 more per liter.

Plus this doesn't even factor in all the up front costs.
    Pretty much a non starter for me.

7. Feb 6, 2012 #7 of 22
    Heynonny

Heynonny Mentor

Jul 11, 2009
    I think for casual use it's a toy some find pleasing. I think it's fun. Custom flavoring mixes and all that

With your own source of flavoring and CO2, it also starts to work out well economically. I use Rio concentrates (not the syrups) and a 25 pound CO2 tank to refill from. There's some up-front costs for the tank and adapter, but if you drink a lot of soda/seltzer it reaches positive payback pretty quickly.

8. Feb 6, 2012 #8 of 22
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Our city water is terrible. You can tell right away that you're drinking it when you're used to bottled water.

Oddly, NYC has pretty good tap water.

Rich

9. Feb 6, 2012 #9 of 22
    Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree that cost wise it comes out about the same as buying soda in the store but it definitely is fun and seems a bit more versatile. We were experimenting with the different flavors and mixing them.

Can't say anything about the water itself because we have a 5 gallon water dispenser in our home so there are no flavor issues.

I also noticed that since it sort of mixes the same way as a regular soda fountain, the soda seems "fresh" for the lack of the better word. When soda sits in a can or a plastic bottle, it seems to change the favor a bit. (boy do I miss glass bottles).

I plan to use it over the next few months to see how it fits with my soda drinking habits (I usually drink about 1 or 2 a day).

EDIT: I also wanted to mention how it will be kind of nice having a wide selection of soda flavors. Just make them as needed. Cuts down a lot on storage space.

10. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I had one of these for about 3 years. I use it mainly for carbonated water which I prefer to plain water. I usually put some lemon or lime juice in it for a little flavor.

For that, there are significant savings as sparkling water can be expensive and I don't end up with tons of bottles to recycle.

I also use it to make their equivalent of Diet Red Bull. For that the money savings are great.

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am fully committed at this point. I use it with lemon and lime wedges for all my drinking water. I can go through 6-10 liters or more a week by myself.
    To avoid the refill costs, I invested in a 20lb Co2 tank and had a filler tube installed. Then I bought the CO2 Doctor adapter to defeat the proprietary ball in the SS tanks.

In the end it was $300 on top of the Soda stream. But at $15 each exchange for the tanks at BBB, it will pay for itself by the end of the year. The 20lb tank costs that much to fill, and I am only half empty after 4-6 months later.

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    As for flavors, I have been experimenting with getting away from the processed syrups and making my own with simple syrup blended with real fruit.

13. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    There's a video floating around showing how to load a block of dry ice (solid CO2) into the Sodastream bottle.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My fear is that getting something like this would lead to much more soda consumption in my house. I have two kids that don't drink much now (my 6 year old drinks none), and I'll have 3-4 glasses per week, but that may go way up if we have a neat machine that makes soda on demand.

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I drink soft drinks less than once a week, while my son and family with whom I live drink soda at every opportunity. :(
    I have no interest in tthe Sodastream at all. I do, however, buy name brand 2 liters or fridge packs on occasion when they're on sale (99 cents and less than $3, respectively). :)
    The Sodastream is prominently displayed at my nearby Best Buy stores, complete with refills.

16. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I thought that way as well but I'm finding different uses for the Sodastream thats not in the instruction book. Yesterday I made a vitamin carbonated drink using Emergen-C as the mixer. I also tried a simple lemon drink just by squeezing some lemons into the water. Things like that. You don't necessarily have to make traditional sodas with the Sodastream.

17. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If you keep the syrups away, it may increase their water intake. I know it does for me. Just a squeeze of an orange, lemon, or lime slice gives it plenty of flavor.

18. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    So far the only draw back I have found is the bottles are not dishwasher safe. Although they only hold water. They do need cleaning occasionally due to sticky fingers.

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, my 6 and 9 year olds have never had soda. Buying this machine would change that.

20. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Was at a c-store this evening and picked up a MioEnergy flavoring. I have used the Mios before, but had not seen the Energy ones. Got Black Cherry. I hope it is as good as the old Black Cherry Koolaid from when I was a kid.

So tomorrow morning I am going to carbonate some water and give it a try.