Software Coming for the 301?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JBar1017, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBar1017

JBar1017 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Is there any new software coming for the 301's? Please let me know....

JBar1017

2. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Are you having specific problems or are just curious?

3. JBar1017

JBar1017 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Just Curious, many Dish Network Receivers are getting new software updates, so I just asked if possibly if Dish would be releasing any new software updates for the 301.

JBar1017

4. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003
    I don't see many things they can add to the 301. Got any requests?

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fix the crashing bug with the iweather channel (9500).

JL

6. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I have never seen that bug*knock on wood*.

7. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I also have not seen any receivers crash (at least as of lately) due to the Interactive Weather Application in OpenTv in the 301 receivers.

8. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    I gotta say, my 311 is rock solid. (I find it hard to believe it was engineered by the same company as the 811). I assumed the 301 was similar.

9. james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    the picture's a bit unstable occasionally on my 301, sometimes it will drop frames, or jitter a bit (vertical jitter). I can remember looking at the slates when the viacom's were down and on 1-second intervals, the picture would jitter. *none* of my other receivers do this, just that 301. I know of at least a few others that have 301's doing the same stupid thing, but many more I know with 301's that are perfect.

10. jasonjpw

jasonjpw AllStar

Mar 5, 2004
    MY 301 went crazy. Picture started flipping out and blanking out for about every 5- 20 minutes we tried everything. Short 1 second screen splits and then the programing came back on. Error messages shot up and everything so often during the day. I gave up on it and placed my old 2700/2800 back in and everything works great. I also have the model 4000 and it works still Is there anyway to adjust something inside to make this fixed if so can someone show me a picture. Or has anyone heard of this situation.

I don't think I will ever get the 301 model ever again. Has anyone got good results from 301.

When I mean we tried everything.
    I mean that we moved receivers into another room.
    We checked to see if it had the current software.
    Blew out all the dust inside the unit.
    Removed the smart card a 10 - 20 times
    Hard booted it many times.
    Restored the Factory Settings

The Errors were:
    Smart Card Error but the error only lasted less then one second.
    Do you think I have a bad smart card. Is there anyway to fix the card?

Is there away to adjust the compression settings inside the unit or is that all based on chips inside the unit?

11. steveo70

steveo70 Mentor

Feb 9, 2004
    Could it also be the different builds of the 301? The one I have is perfect and I like even more with the last update.

12. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    try maybe - cleaning the Smart Card .. lets say with some Soft Eraser.. gently.. but to take out all the possible built up dirt, etc on it.. (but DO NOT use water etc)

Also wonder if somehow the card slot inside the machine... - could be dirty maybe too.. or out of place a bit, defective, etc???
    Don't know..

Good luck - with cleaning card with eraser..

13. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    I ment of course - cleaning the contacts (rectangular/squire thingy) on the back of the card...

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    NOW you tell me. I put it in an autoclave and now it doesn't work at all ...

Just kidding :lol:
    I'm not sure why the smartcard contacts were affecting anything, unless one keeps playing with the smartcard. My 301 was new last March, one of the first to get the 44hr EPG update. But if I spend too long in the channel lockout screens and occasionally when I select 9500 it locks up and shows odd colors or nothing at all.

In the EPG I'll get purple or othe colors replacing the bottom of the program guide. When the weather application fails for me it just sits blank. I can tune off to other channels, but it takes a soft power cycle to get weather back.

During the power cycle my 301 redownloads the EPG. I'm thinking that it is some kind of memory fault ... The reboot clears the ram.

JL

15. james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    I bet the newer 301's are perfect, I think everytime dish comes out with a receiver, they always have to revise and work out the mistakes. The 301's as sold today are the final result, but I do believe there was at least *3* different versions of the 301 since the model was introduced several years back.. I bought mine 2 years ago, and it is very reliable, never crashes, just that annoying picture jitter.. grr, I bet the software can never fix it either, likely a problem with ram, or mpeg buffering, the guide itself *NEVER* jitters, and when in the guide, the mini picture *does* jitter..

16. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    well - he did say, they were kinda "playing" with this smart card - taking it out and back in many, many times.. blowing some dirt from inside the machine etc:
    :)

all this can contribute somewhat to the card somehow getting dirty (even though doesn't happen too often) ;)

17. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    I bought my system last September (2 301's) and so far are maint. free. Thank goodness they supported 121.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.