Software updated to 0xc45 - any info?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sangs, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Anybody have any info on this update? Just received it yesterday morning on my HR 54-200. Once again, can't seem to find word one about it here - or at the other place for that matter.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No new features, just under the hood maintence.

1 person likes this.
  3. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    New feature(?): "Talking Guide." Seems useless and counter intuitive.

Info>CC>Talking Guide OFF turns it on.

Using the new feature turns Dolby Digital off. Be sure to restore it after you are finished playing.

Burt

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Anyone who's blind wouldn't consider it useless. Considering that audio descriptions are only available on a stereo (or in some cases mono) SAP feed, they're probably used to not having things in 5.1 sound. To them it's probably more important to understand what's going on in a scene.

AMI, who does programming for the blind in Canada, has a great series of PSAs that shows how different a scene can be interpreted when you don't have descriptive audio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfTIN2m-GRk

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Every since this update when I pause I get a ticking noise through my surround sound speakers. Really loud and annoying. I know its something they did with the software but not sure what????

1 person likes this.
  6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It's a toggle and it's telling you it's current state.

7. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Have experienced this also.

8. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    This been going on several months to HR44 (analog RCA jack audio). Tick and/or pop upon press of the pause button, and very noticeable. Must've happened at least one update ago. Doesn't necessarily happen every time, but enough to be annoying.

(Off-topic, I know. But since it was brought up...)

9. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    Not sure if this is related to the update (just got it a couple of days ago), but my HR54 suddenly changed to channel 8886 (or maybe it was 8887) today for no reason. I recall reading what this virtual channel is used for, but it should not have done that.

As for the talking guide, I have no use for it, but if they could toggle Dolby Digital off when you enable it, the least they could do is turn it back on when you turn it off instead of having to drill down into the audio menu to turn it back on.

10. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Mine does it when paused but also randomly while its paused.

11. plinley

plinley New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    My HR44-700 Genie started giving 776 errors this morning. After an excruciating call to D* and their having me check cabling, restarting receiver, etc. They are sending a tech out tomorrow... come to find out, it got 0xc45 this morning at 2:50am. I told them that it had to be the update that broke it... they of course disagreed, and said it had to be a cabling or box issue. I asked them if they simply could not TRY to roll back the update, and they said that they could not do that - that the tech would have to replace the "bad" box or cabling.
    Running a diag test, the message told me I had too many recievers connected to the SWM... I have 7... it should be an 8-receiver SWM I believe, but unplugged power to 1 and the annoyance stopped!!!
    I guess I will take it up further with the tech tomorrow.
    Anyone else with this issue? Any reasonable "fix"??
    :down: :bang

12. plinley

plinley New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Well, doing some further research, just found this... I guess the 0xc45 made the genie more "aware" that there are more than 8 tuners on my SWM (it has been working FINE for 2+ years)!!
    Why the F! doesn't the stupid tech support agents know to look for this???
    Geez... these idiots are so frustrating!! Guess I will have the tech put me in a SWM-16 tomorrow!
    :nono2:

It's confusing and frustrating. All you want to do is watch TV and you get a message saying there is a satellite dish error and gives you a code of 771B or 776. The problem goes away by itself and then maybe comes back a while later. What does it mean?

The official definition, from DIRECTV's own library:

Too many receivers or tuners are connected to the SWiM. Test with SWiM meter and upgrade to SWiM 16 if necessary.

What it really means is that somehow the system thinks there are too many tuners in use. Not necessarily too many receivers -- remember a regular DVR has 2 tuners and a Genie has 5. If you add up all the tuners on a single line it should never be more than 8. If you have a SWM-16 multiswitch you can have up to 16 tuners but it's a max of 8 on each line from the SWM.

What should you do?

Sometimes this error message is just a mistake. Reset your entire DIRECTV system by doing the following:
    1. First turn off all your TVs and DIRECTV receivers.
    2. Then, find the SWM power inserter. (Click through for a picture of a power inserter.) Unplug it for at least 30 seconds.
    3. Finally, reset all your receivers by pushing the red reset button on each.
    In many cases this will clear up the problem, especially if it just showed up by itself even though you didn't add anything.

If that doesn't fix things, try counting the number of tuners in your system. Remember, each receiver counts as 1, each regular DVR as 2, each Genie as 5. C31 and C41 clients don't count at all. Is the final number more than 8?

If it is, make sure you have a SWM-16 and that there are no more than 8 tuners on each outgoing line (called a "SWM leg.") If the number is more than 16, check out our White Paper for the best way to wire your home.

For a temporary fix, unplug a receiver or two and reset the SWM power inserter and the receivers as shown above.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    What are your other units out of curiosity? And did you try rerunning satelite setup?

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you have had more than 8 tuners all this time then honestly you've been having some issue somewhere and the error has been the system not reporting it right. Technically if you reboot a genie last it used to grab however many swim channels where left but, that didn't mean it didn't screw things up and cut down how it actually worked.

15. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I got 0xc45 on my HR44 early morning AM on 10/27. Since then it has randomly frozen and rebooted 3-4 times causing some partial recordings. Yesterday I did 2 menu restarts within 30 minutes to flush the guide. I've done this before with success to cure random freezing and rebooting. My fingers are crossed that it works this time too.

16. brannicj

brannicj New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    has anyone else got 0xc45 on an hr54? Mine has been trying every few hours since the end of Oct to download it but it is not finding it. I tried unplugging, red button reset, shutting off but nothing. I read on some other forum that a guy was having that same problem. wondering if it is just a few of us?

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My HR54-200 received 0x0c45 on 18 October without issue.

18. Burt

Burt AllStar

Jul 14, 2005
    HR54/500 has been running without problems since 10/19/16 on 0x0c45.