Solid Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jack428, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jack428

Jack428 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Can you still purchase (lease) a receiver from solid signal or ebay (HR24) and activate without a DTV installer coming to the house?

2. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You can if you pay full price from Solid Signal. eBay may or may not be activatable period depending on various things.

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Yep solid signal will sell err lease a box at full price and ship it to you.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    There’s still confusion on whether or not Solid Signal can access AT&T accounts, and whether or not AT&T will activate receivers bought on third party sites.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, You can still order a Leased Receiver from SS -( However) You will need to call D* to have it activated (not SS) as in th epast as they can no longer work with your account.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The idea that they can "sell" a "leased" box seems to be a contradiction in terms, doesn't it? When somebody leases a car you ever hear them say they "bought" a leased car? What have you ever "bought" that was truly leased?

Thru venting, couldn't help myself. Wasn't trying to argue, I knew what you meant.

Rich

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    And last I looked....their website did a terrible job of letting the customer know that what they are getting are refurbs.

8. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    No worries Lol. I am just as confused as you are!
    If SS was charging $30 I could understand. The fact that they charge full market price or at least what in my opinion is the value of the box makes the lease thing sound ridiculous. Could you imagine just giving back an HR54 after two years and then It gets leased again for its cost price! It’s criminal.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Ever hear of a EULA (End User License Agreement)? When you purchase software you don't own the software you purchase the right to use the software. Same theory applies to purchasing leased equipment. When you purchase leased equipment you don't own the equipment you purchase the right to use the equipment. The purchase price covers the cost of research and development, manufacturing and distribution. The lease fee covers the cost of software development for the equipment, maintenance and repair, ect. This theory is used in other business like real estate (rent to own) and retail (stores like Rent-A-Center).

AZ. and Rich like this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    They aren't charging full price. $299 is the lease fee. Full price is like $599 or something like that.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Full purchase price is difficult to state when AT&T DIRECTV no longer sells the receiver (lease only).

It is a lease fee whether one pays DIRECTV or Solid Signal.

dreadlk likes this.
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no problems with Solid Signal, I buy things from them and I've never had any problems. But I just looked at HRs and you are correct. Not one mention of them being refurbs. That I don't like. We know they have to be refurbs but Joe Sixpack won't. That doesn't seem fair. Sure sounds like the HRs are new from the offering. Kinda doubt they put new HDDs in them.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, should be a crime of some sort. What bothers me are the posts I've read over the years by folks that have "purchased" HRs from sites that don't fully explain the leased/owned thing clearly and find themselves with a used DVR. I can understand the outrage they feel.

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  14. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Seeing they are LEASED att/Directv owns them and they don't care about "NEW" the receivers are already their property

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't you think there should be an end to the lease? Or a reduced price because it's used?

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    This is why Directv doesn't call the monthly per receiver charges lease payments, because there would have to be an end to the payments if it was a lease. For their purposes the receivers are leased at $0/month, so you never pay it off. The $7 charge is a "per TV fee" or whatever they call it in the bill.

dreadlk likes this.
  17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    And what do they call the $10 HD fee and the $10 DVR fee? Are those considered pixel lease fees and hard drive lease fees? :D.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well it could be worse, I just heard about a cable company (maybe it was here I heard about it) that charges customers $16.95 a month for being able to rewind and other 'trick play' features on live TV! Talk about a screw job!

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Technology fees. (Advanced receiver fees.)

20. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Lol these posts are funny :)
    It’s amazing how large companies stick it to the customer with a well lubricated stick! As if people can’t see the lie. Personally I wish they would just come forward and say that they are going to double dip me for each receiver. It would be a dry jab but at least it would be less insulting to my intelligence.

AZ. likes this.