DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo DVR VIP 612 - your thoughts?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rovenorth 
#1 ·
Hi all ...

I've looked for threads on this topic but found little (perhaps a result of my poor searching skills). If it's already been covered, I'd be happy to follow a link if you have one. Otherwise ...

I've completed a two year contract with Dish and am satisfied overall, apart from a technical glitch here (ongoing!) and a billing glitch there. I'm now thinking about trading one of my VIP 211K tuners for one solo DVR VIP 612 tuner.

First question: do you like/dislike your VIP 612? My brother has one and I've noticed it has a noisy as heck fan. Not sure I could get used to that. Maybe. Do you have thoughts on the unit?

Second question: I'd be happy as can be to pay a few bucks to make this switch, but not too happy to make it if it requires a new contract period. My preliminary call to Dish suggests we're good to go on the "few bucks," but an at least one year contract extension will be required. If that's Dish's bottom line, I'll switch to DirecTV. True, the latter would present me with another contract, but I can get a much better channel list (my wife really likes Turner Classics and Bravo), etc. So, the question: have any of you made this receiver upgrade without triggering a new contract?

Many thanks! I'm new to Dbstalk, and have enjoyed browsing the forums and learning a lot.

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, if you lease then it is two year commitment, not sure how a csr could offer you only one year. If you buy the receiver, there is no commitment. Second, the 612 in my opinion is problematic. I had one and couldn't wait to get rid of it. As far as the fan noise is due to the internal hard drive, unfortunately you cannot have a dvr without one. I choose to not have it in a room where I sleep. My suggestion would be if you like the 211, you may be better served by buy an external hard drive for it and pay a one-time $40 fee to active it. You would not have a new commitment, you would not have to pay the additional dvr fee every month and you would be using a receiver you are already comfortable with.

#5 ·
Many thanks for your thoughts on this! I like the idea of connecting an external hard drive on my own (which I assume is the same thing as a "USB enclosure").

That stated, as I understand it (I might verrry well be wrong), using an external hard drive on a 211K would not allow me to access Dish's various "on demand" features. I am frankly unclear on what those features might be (!), and being a cheapskate am more or less entirely interested in free stuff. Any insights?

If I go the route on connecting a hard drive myself, do you have recommendations on models that are reliable without breaking the bank?

All things considered, I like Dish. My concerns are (1) that the 612 will be so noisy as to drive me (more) nuts; and (2) entering a new contract, I'm worried about price increases. Count me as one of probably no end of folks who, once that contract was signed a couple of years ago, got a whopper price increase. I don't want to go through that again.

Best ...

#6 ·
Most promo prices are for new customers, not ones entering another 2 year lease agreement. You will see current increases as they occur. The streaming aspect would be for HD dvr receivers so your 211 with EHD would not see them on your receiver. If you want to have an idea of what you would get you can go to www.dishonline.com and see most of what you would see on the receiver. Most of what you get is based on your package, so if you have a lower package you won't see much that is free.

#7 ·
Thanks again for your thoughts, Gary. As the on demand material might be minimal, maybe an external hard drive is indeed the way for me to go. I'd still be interested to read anyone's insights on good models. It'd be nice for my wife and I to record shows and watch them at our own convenience.

A digression ...

I'm not sure if I was clear in my last message about the price increase that I faced after signing up with Dish. To clarify ...

I entered a two year "contract" at what seemed like a fair price. Some months later (I don't remember how many months, but doubt it was more than six to nine or so), I was notified that Dish was going to give me some more channels (I don't remember which exactly ... I know Starz was part of the deal) for an increased fee. I got back to them to say I didn't want the additional channels, and that I was perfectly satisfied with the agreement we had in place.

Wow, did I get an earful. It took a couple of calls/transfers to this and that person, but I finally got connected to a guy who literally read me the riot act (I hereby promise I was civil, etc). He explained that my agreement with Dish did not guarantee a price over the length of the deal. Funny, I thought that was exactly what the agreement was! Anyway, I got let off the hook for that (stayed at the channels I wanted for the price I wanted), but it sure left me with a bitter taste. There was another matter too - a technical glitch that persists to this day - that was handled poorly by Dish.

All that said, I'm a pretty happy customer (I don't demand a heck of a lot from TV viewing), but one who definitely does *not* want another "contract"!

Best wishes ...

#9 ·
Thanks PS, I've jumped over to the 211K forum per your suggestion and am getting further educated on the EHD option. I do believe that's the route I'll take.

As another poster suggested, my understanding was incorrect: Dish wanted another *two* year contract, not just one year as I'd initially understood. They very kindly offered to waive $5 of the $6 per month DVR fee, but I truly don't want another contract.

Thanks again ...

#11 ·
If you're still considering a 612, I have one for sale...$90. Used for about a year. Worked fine for me.

#12 ·
I'm amazed that you can be so paranoid about a two year commitment, (that you can buy out of at a lower and lower price over time) that you will deprive yourself of the fantastic improvement in your TV experience with a Hopper/Joey will give you over the next two years. Your loss!

#13 ·
dmspen said:
If you're still considering a 612, I have one for sale...$90. Used for about a year. Worked fine for me.
Apologies for the day of delay here: I've been on the 211K forum on PS's advice, getting educated on EHD operation and such. I don't see the 211K + EHD as a for sure thing yet, however (still have ten or so days to return it if I wish), and thus will PM you later or tomorrow. Thanks for the offer!

#14 ·
patmurphey said:
I'm amazed that you can be so paranoid about a two year commitment, (that you can buy out of at a lower and lower price over time) that you will deprive yourself of the fantastic improvement in your TV experience with a Hopper/Joey will give you over the next two years. Your loss!
Curious word choices: paranoid, deprive, loss. You seem to have a verrrrrry low threshold for amazement, and a strangely personal investment in others seeing the world (or at least television, which really mustn't be confused with the world) the same fantastically improved way you do.

Hopper and Joey make no sense for me, but thanks! Spending the dollars that you spend on television makes no sense for me, but thanks!

Off I go to check the closets for who-knows-what could be lurking there, in my deprived loser kind of way ... :eek:

#15 ·
You won't sign a one year contract extension with Dish but will for 2 years with Direct. You said a better channel list and sited two channels Dish has and in HD. And rarely does Dish charge to get a 612 to replace a current HD receiver unless the customer has payment issues or perhaps the lowest packages.

#16 ·
Good edit, Tampa! I happen to be online this moment and saw your first version. This one is more to the point.

Correct, the motivation for switching would be to get more channels. I was genuinely surprised to see TCM and Bravo (my wife might like to have those, though the fact is she rarely watches TV) plus others (even NFL Network, which I might like, in at least one of the packages) in DirecTV's budget packages. They are not currently available in mine. To get them ... another contract. All that stated, it is unlikely I'll switch now that I've got an EHD running (I've been getting educated about that on the 211K/etc forum).

"And rarely does Dish charge to get a 612 to replace a current HD receiver unless the customer has payment issues or perhaps the lowest packages."

Assuming this is a factually accurate statement (I've got no special reason to assume otherwise), then it must be a matter of my lowliness. I've got auto-pay. Then again, maybe the issue in your statement is the word "charge." As I laid out, the "up front" charge would be minimal.

As for my reluctance to enter another contract, my oh my ... a big topic! I assume, without really knowing, it's been covered similarly by others on DBS. Nutshell version, as I wrote in the original post, I'm a pretty satisfied customer who'd like to continue with Dish with more or less what I've got at a price I think reasonable. With the addition of the EHD to my current receiver and current package, looks like we're good to go! And, if not, happily ... I can bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.