1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to LOUD COMMERCIALS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Seattlezoid, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Seattlezoid

Seattlezoid Cool Member

Dec 16, 2007
    SRS Labs has come out with a stand-alone "box" with HDMI thru put incorporating their TRU VOLUME algorithims technology.
    SRS TruVolume now delivers consistent audio while using stereo and multi-channel speaker configurations
    http://www.srslabs.com/content.aspx?id=229
    Rumor has it that a "box" is coming out this week from $29-$99 USD.
    Too bad loud commercials make us look at these devices.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's quite the price spread.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    loud typeface is almost as bad as loud commercials.

4. Seattlezoid

Seattlezoid Cool Member

Dec 16, 2007
    loud type intentional

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I didn't notice. I have a box between my PC and my monitor that delivers constant font size. ;)

6. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    it's funny, I clicked on the link and watched a video on the amazing SRS solution to noise spikes. I couldn't help but notice the noise spiked every time the music came on...I had to lower my volume it was so loud!:lol:

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Cool idea. I wonder if they'll be able to come up with a device like this that works with component video and digital audio connections? I'm thinking that examining the audio stream and re-adjusting it's volume on the fly might cause a slight audio delay which will have to be matched by a corresponding video delay, to prevent lip-synch issues.

8. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
  9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'll be amazed if it can do all of that on a DD5.1 audio stream over HDMI for <$100.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My newest TV has the feature built in. I watch very little programming that contains commercials, but it does a good job of leveling out the differences from channel-to-channel.

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi all
    The AUDIOVOX VR1 works great with componet hook up. I have used one for a few years and loud problems are a thing of the past. Installs between the DTV receiver and the TV (red/white). Check Amazon for cost.

SSTV
    since 94

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Works great with component? Component is video only.

EDIT: Just searched it, and see what you were trying to say. The box will work with any video output, since video is not routed through it, only audio. It only with works with standard audio cables, so no DD. You can use HDMI and standard audio cables, though, so no need to use component if you are using this. Unless, that is, you actually want quality sound. ;)

13. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    are you talking about the speakers poping and stacit, I have the audiovox vr-1, just how do you hook it up.

14. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    Componet is a five cable hookup. YPBPR (G,R,B) video and red/white audio. Quality sound from TV is a bit of a stretch but to each his own. The Audiovox will provide stereo sound with no loud commercials.

15. Ned C

Ned C AllStar DBSTalk Club

Mar 6, 2008
    Racine WI
    This feature should be standard on all Direct boxes:lol: especially on Direct commercials.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That would work for my non AV receiver displays. I'd like to see one that works with component video and DD audio out, for non-HDMI surround set-ups.

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Not true. Component is three cable hookup (video only), with your choice of audio (red/white analog and optical or coaxial digital).

There is no such thing as component audio.