Solutions for seeking two Hopper 3's

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Wildblue, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Have two original Hoppers that weren't working, asked Dish to upgrade to two Hopper 3's. Setup is advanced whole-home A/V distribution system from central equipment rack room. NOT separate equipment in each room.

Dish tech showed up with two "Hoppers With Sling", which I hadn't even known existed. Told her I ordered two H3's, she checked and said the office was out of H3 stock. Would install the Hoppers With Sling, and I could call Dish to have her come back out with the dual H3 upgrades.

You can imagine the way the call then went with Dish after the install. Said they refuse to give customers two H3's. They would do one H3, one Joey. Or two "Hoppers With Sling". Or said I could buy one H3 at full retail price, and they'd "let me lease the other one"

But I do want two H3's, for: 1. Full 4k on both. 2. HDR on both. 3. The extra tuners. 4. Amazon Prime on both. 5. Central house equipment rack already has custom racks for Hoppers. Joey doesn't fit. And if nothing else, 6. Just having the latest and greatest equipment unit for both.

Dish Customer Service has escalated the request to "corporate", and we'll see what they say. But doesn't look good.

So my questions y'all might be able to help with:

1. If I did break down and buy a 2nd Hopper 3 out of my pocket, has anybody successfully actually set up two Hopper 3's? Do they interface with each other?

2. Don't want to, but if I did settle for one H3, and one Hopper With Sling, do they interface with each other well?

3. Also really don't want to, but if I did settle for one H3, one 4K Joey, would I lose any functionality with the Joey other than HDR and Amazon Prime? Can the Joey be fully controlled with the IR home distribution network and programming I've already set up, using Hopper codes?

4. Anybody else been able to get two Hopper 3's out of Dish for their house?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    1.yes
    2.yes
    3. yes
    4. no; second at your expenses

3. neckhardt

neckhardt New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    I am looking at purchasing a second Hopper 3. Are there additional fees for the second Hopper?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure !

5. neckhardt

neckhardt New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    How much is the fee?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    check dish official site

7. Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    For what it's worth, my case went up to corporate, who called me and approved two Hopper 3's. Didn't have to do anything else. Was a bit of a hassle for the installer when he showed up, that the work order wasn't properly submitted, but after several hours they figured it out. Two Hopper 3's, working great so far, no extra cost to me. Woot.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Check your next bill ;)

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A wise consumer checks every bill.