Some Channels Freezing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jclangston, May 21, 2020.

1. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    I just came back to Directv after a couple of years. I have a whole home setup with a HR54-500, 1 4K mini, and 2 HD minis. I have noticed on some channels the audio and video will freeze for about half a second sometimes. I have noticed it more on the movie channels but that might be because we have been watching them more at night since there is no sports on. I would say it happens on average 1-2 times per hour. Is this something everyone sees or could it have something to do with my setup?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a known issue.

3. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks, so is it something known with the sats or something that can be fixed with software?

4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a work in progress that isn't a high priority.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have an HR44 and four HR24s in my MRV system. I don't see any audio or video drops or freezes. Other than those caused by storms. I've been using my DVRs a lot since the virus hit and I don't see any of the problems you do. If this is a software problem why do you see it and I don't? All my DVRs have solid-state drives on them rather than HDDs. Why did I put SSDs on my DVRs? Because I got tired of audio drops and the video getting screwed up constantly. I started using SSDs a year ago last August and my DVRs are so stable you'd think you were watching something on Netflix. Or a BD player.

If you look at the bottom of your 54 you'll see a green sticker with the "birthday" of that DVR. That will tell you how old the HDD in it is. Try sticking an SSD on the 54, see if the problem goes away. We can help you with that.

Take a look at this thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?. I'm not the only one here that uses SSDs.

Rich

6. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    My short time with the 4K genie mini and HR54-500, it's the mini, not the genie itself. I was seeing the freeze more than twice an hour and the mini ran hot too. Nonetheless, frequent freezing is annoying; I wouldn't put up with that for occasional 4K. My guess is the op has the same issue.

I got rid of the 4K mini. Also got out of the 12 commitment that came with the upgrade. This has me looking at other TV services; I've suspended DirecTV twice since.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I WANT MORE likes this.
  7. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    So does the freezing happen on all mini’s? I have the C41. Thanks.

8. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Sorry, I can only comment on the 4K mini. Good question though.

I always had HR DVRs with one genie until I upgraded to 4K. I chose the HR54 plus 1 mini genie 4K for the purpose of keeping my other HRs. The only mini I had in my setup was the 4K mini genie. Returned. So that's all I could comment on.

9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I haven't had any issues with my channels freezing with my HR44, C41W and HR24. Now the C41W moving slowly at times is a different story.

10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I have the same setup and haven't experienced any issue with any kind of audio and video freeze. Also my C61K does not "run hot".

armchair likes this.
  11. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Glad to hear not everyone had this issue.

I can't recall what dash number genie mini I had? But seems I recall the -700 did not have the freezing issue? Maybe just the opposite?

I did some searching at the time and just recall that I didn't have the dash number others without the issue had. I called DirecTV, asked for a specific dash manufacturer and was told no guarantee of specific make so I asked to be free commitment, if returned. Granted. And done.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would highly suggest checking all of your cable connections and splitter connections etc the system can be very sensitive to interference. I have a Genie 2 with 6 minis and never see freezing

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This doesn't appear to be a problem with most of us. Still makes me think the HDD might be the problem.

Rich

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The C61K-700s normally have a higher internal temperature than the Genies. Currently my C61K-700's internal temperature is 140 degrees.

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The issue is with the C61K-700, not the HDD. DIRECTV engineers began looking into it on 24 February 20. As I stated previously it's a known issue that's a work in progress that isn't a high priority.

I WANT MORE and armchair like this.
  16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Thank you.

17. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks MysteryMan, I think for the time being I'm going to take the 4K mini out of the loop. I'm going to leave it disconnected and just use the regular minis and see how things go.

18. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    So I unplugged the 4K mini this morning and restarted all the other boxes in the house. While working from home today I didn't notice any freezing. It could be a coincidence but it seems like the 4K mini might be the culprit. If that's the case I'll probably turn off the 4K service, send that box back and get another regular mini. I'm not worried about missing out on a couple of 4K channels. I can watch plenty of 4K content on Netflix and Amazon on my Apple Tv. I'll keep an eye out for freezing over the next few days.

19. jclangston

jclangston Cool Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Update...I was watching a show in my office (using regular mini) this morning on Smithsonian Channel, during that 1 hour show the picture froze once for about 1 second and also at a different time there was a 1-2 second pixilation with green and pink colors. What I didn't mention above is that I'm on my second HR54 (replaced on Tuesday) so its probably not the Genie and now I know the 4K Mini being out of the loop didn't solve the problem. When the tech came to give me a new Genie earlier this week he ran a new cable from the dish to the 8 way swim splitter, installed a new LNB, and also changed the barrel connectors on all the wall plates. I have a very simple setup, 1 cable from the dish to the 8 way in the attic, then 4 drops down to each room. Home was built in 2009 so not old coax. I didn't have this problem the last time I had Directv. I'm thinking the problem must be a software issue on the Genie, or a sat feed. Sometimes I can watch tv for 3 hours and have no problems then all of a sudden at a different time on another channel I will get 3-4 freezes per hour and sometimes pixilation.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  20. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I have a c41 that was freezing on CNN today multiple times. I was able to change channels, which were operating normally. Went back to CNN and it was playing fine for about 5 minutes then froze again. This pattern occurred a few times today.