Some fun AT&T adventures

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 #1 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    So Friday night, I had 3 channels go out (at least 3 that I noticed). I did the usual troubleshooting. Reboot, signal test, etc and couldn't get them to come back. Weather was fine. So I call up tech support and they do the same stuff and decide I need a service call to align my dish and re-wire everything. I asked why I would need that when all the transponders were reading 80 - 90+. This wasn't on his script, so he couldn't answer it lol... anyways... no other choice, I agreed to the service call. He said its either $99 for a one time call or $9 if I took the PP. I scoffed at the $99 and he said I can cancel the PP after 1 month (not even sure if that's true). So I said fine. Appointment was a week out.

Saturday morning, I was going to try reseat cables and maybe try a different port on the SWM when I noticed the 3 channels were back. So I called to cancel the appointment and remove the PP. They said Ok and cleared it out.

This morning, I wake up to an email saying I bought the protection plan AND signed up for a 2 yr agreement. I call up DirecTV and yup, wouldn't you know it, the PP is still on my account. The CSR removed it again (supposedly) and claimed the 2 yr agreement email was a system error.

Man, what happened to this company? DirecTV used to be a fanboy company.

2. Mar 3, 2019 #2 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Continue to monitor your account. In the old days it took a higher level CSR to cancel a contract date. I suspect the person you talked doesn't have that authorization and that you still have a new two-year contract.

3. Mar 3, 2019 #3 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "Protection Plan Term of Coverage and Cancellation: The Plan coverage commences one (1) calendar month from the date of purchase..." given that how would that cover the OP's service call?

4. Mar 3, 2019 #4 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    According to two people there, the first month is a "free trial". You get billed starting in month 2. The first guy who set up the call said I was only required to pay one month. Yup. Sketchy.

5. Mar 3, 2019 #5 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That wording seems to prevent the #1 use of the protection plan: To fix a problem that exists at the time the plan was purchased. It seems obvious that DIRECTV doesn't enforce that policy.

6. Mar 3, 2019 #6 of 17
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    This message board is full of similar stories, well before AT&T purchased Directv. I wouldn't chalk it solely up to that. And if you want "fanboys", there are still about 5 or 10 left, but most of them have moved to a different website.....this site has far more reasonable and thoughtful posters IMO.

Getteau, Rich, compnurd and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mar 3, 2019 #7 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, it doesn't really make sense at all. Either pay $99 or pay $9 for the PP? It would take them almost a year to get the $99. Seems like the $99 price is for "those people" that don't want to add anything under any circumstances for whatever reason. They want to get you on the PP and "forget about it" so you get charged repeatedly and hope you don't notice or are too lazy to cancel. I'm sure that works in many cases.

If they made you wait the 30 days before using it, it wouldn't make sense to buy it.

Rich likes this.
  8. Mar 3, 2019 #8 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I meant DirecTV used to be a fanboy company like Apple. Many have said the CSR quality has plummeted and the various policy changes are dumb now. I wouldn't lump the price in there as people are paying $1k for iphones still.

9. Mar 3, 2019 #9 of 17
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm not sure how DIRECTV is dealing with the issue. The contract quoted lists Asurion as the party responsible for paying for repairs. Asurion also works with other companies to provide repair coverage for customer equipment. Asurion certainly would not want to cover repairs if their insurance was purchased after the repairs were needed. I assume DIRECTV isn't submitting those first month repairs to Asurion.

$18 (monthly charge plus deductible) is certainly better than $99 for the customer. I suppose one could argue how much a service call actually costs AT&T|DIRECTV. Certainly more than $18 but less than $99? There is probably some level of self insurance going on to cover repairs not covered by Asurion. There is something going on behind the scenes - but as long as the customer gets a better deal I'm not going to worry about AT&T|DIRECTV's accounting process.

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    No idea how much truck rolls cost, but from my experience with truck rolls, they are rarely "15 minutes". As I mentioned, many years back I had a truck roll for a simple dish alignment. This resulted in a mount swap, an LNB swap, new cable runs into the attic, new multi-switch, new RG6 pig tails in the entertainment center (I have in-wall runs from the attic to a wallplate), etc. He basically swapped out the entire system. He was here 4 hours+. If a tech makes $15/hr that's $60, but then you have to include parts, insurance, truck insurance, etc. So maybe $99 is about right for a 4 hr call, but I can't imagine it leaves much meat on the bone. They'd definitely be in the hole for $18.

11. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I don't get why people are surprised by AT&T's tactics after they bought DIRECTV. AT&T is a very large company in scale and size. You think all their cost cutting, eliminating features and getting rid of execs is for fun? Last I remember AT&T's debt load was $171 billion. It sounds like a cost cutting effort to reduce that debt. They are pissing the customer off while making their shareholders happy. They are not going to tell you we are increasing your rates to pay for these two blockbuster mergers. They stated what they planned to do with the DIRECTV acquisition to kick off their SVOD product. It is to solely benefit AT&T Inc. not the customer per say. Stephenson is not worried by the satellite losses because he has other ways to make up for it using AT&T's vast holdings.

Rich likes this.
  12. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I had a tech out on Saturday to add another receiver. I had the $99 service fee waived. They tried to assess that to me when the tech, who was completely worthless btw, was looking to get me a wireless 4K client because he couldn't fish the cable through the wall on my mounted TV. They wanted me to cancel my appointment and re-book a time to get it installed for free. How stupid is that. I just stuck with what they gave me. Absolutely terrible customer service.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They don't have a wireless 4K client yet, at least not in public release, so I'm not sure why he thought he'd get you that.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A CSR not knowing the product offering? Shocking! :)

15. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I've been comp'ed a truck roll in the past, but I couldn't get it waived this time.

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Back in the day, I talked to a tech support guy who was able to help me wire up b-bands + multi-switch + OTA + multiplexor. He knew that I had to move one of the b-bands up into the attic to get it to work. Today they can't even tell you how to change the remote batteries.

AngryManMLS and codespy like this.
  17. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I was an install / service tech in Austin for 6 years and made decent money and was on the national president's list nearly every quarter. The day ATT was announced as the new order of operations I tendered my resignation and never looked back. I also canceled my service with 2 months left and paid the ETF.