Some Further Impressions - What Are Yours

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR23 Discussion (private)' started by Mike Bertelson, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I find that the HR23-700 is stable and functions as well or better then the rest of the HD-DVR+ line.

I have less problems/issues with the HR23 then my other DVRs.

Once we had the download issues fixed and were up to date with the current CE, there was little to report. There was nothing that wasn't already in the HR20/HR21/HR22 CE issues thread.

Although the picture quality seems different from the pre-production unit, I think it's as good (or better) then my HR21-100 which is on the same TV.

I like the look better then my HR21. It's minor and cosmetic but I like it better.

We moved all our SLs to the HR23 and use it as our everyday DVR. My family has no opinions because it's seemless. Meaning operates/looks the same as our other DVRs.

I, OTOH, prefer it. The larger HDD does it for me (technologically speaking...get out of the gutter :grin:).

The larger HDD/larger recording capacity and the internal wide-band tuners are reason enough to love this DVR.

On a side note, I love having two DVRs on the same TV. I can record games and movies without worrying about conflicts.

Mike

2. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I'm very pleased with the HR23-700. I've been using it as my main DVR since day 1. Once the software was brought up to date to the other HR2x DVRs it felt as good as my original workhorse...the HR20.

I agree; the picture is not as crisp as the pre-production model; although I think since last week's CE it appears a little better than it has been...but still not as good as the pre production model. I don't know why that is; but feel it is one of the most important issues that should be corrected; since once all the trick play, recording and tuning is done...it's all about PQ.

I definitely like the fact that the HD is a higher capacity; especially now that the new fall season is in full swing. I don't have to watch and delete as quickly as I used to with the HR20.

I'm sure once it's released; it will get a good reception from new customers and other customers that are just adding to or upgrading from other HR2x models. Since all use the same software; the change is seamless.

It is really great how DirecTV has enabled its customers to help with the development of its new products; and I hope I can be included in any future field tests.

Vinny

3. cbaker

cbaker Icon

Dec 20, 2006
    Someone must know more than I ... I must have missed a posting or something, "final impressions" implies that the testing/trial is over for the HR23

But keeping with the thread ... I would mirror what MicroBeta and Vinny have posted:

PROs
    1) Used it since day 1 as my primary unit.
    2) Has been extremely stable - both pre-production and production.
    3) User Interface is of course just like my other D* units so it is seemless.
    4) Love the extra HD space.
    5) Overall an excellent unit to date.

CONs
    1) I wish the picture quality of the "production" unit was that of the "pre-production" unit. Maybe that is a function of software that might be fixed going forward?
    2) The unit still has several "slow response times" in many UI area that I hope will/can be addressed.

A big "THANK YOU" to the moderators (Tom Robertson, Doug Brott, Stuart Sweet, Michael D'Angelo, and Donnie Byrd) and D* for including me in this trial. It has been fun and I hope I can still contribute on this and other, future trials.

4. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Ok, not exactly final. :grin:

How about "Any Further Impressions" :rolleyes:

Mike

5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Only 2 impressions really count for me...

1. I'd buy this unit...
    2. I'd recommend this unit to anyone.

6. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    this will make a great addition to anyone that wants to eliminate the BBC's and don't want the hassle with a eSata enclosure. with the BBC module being built-in, plus the additional 500g hard drive storage space. This is a well thought out HD-DVR package.

7. terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I, too, have been using this as my primary dvr since the day it arrived. I agree with virtually everything stated here with one exception. I have stopped using my AM21 for ota recording because it slows the whole unit to a crawl. But, from everything I have read on the CE forum, that seems to be more of an AM21 issue than a HR23-700 issue. Other than that, it seems to be a pretty solid machine.:D

8. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've always felt that the a/v quality was on par with the HR20 and HR21 - any differences were imperceptible on my part.

Now, down to brass tacks - The HR23's performance has been rock solid for me and has more than earned the primary viewing location in my house. It is my workhorse.

9. Oct 1, 2008 #9 of 19
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Am I alone. I am having serious issues when doing 30 SEC SKIP on SD playbacks. Many of you are talking about how you'd by this unit... No disrespect meant but I would never buy this unit. It hasn't crashed or missed any recordings but trickplay during playback is not on par with my HR20-700 or HR21-200.

Am I alone?

I love the look of it and the bigger hard drive but 70% of the time I have trick play issues. As it stands, I wont be able to leave this in my main viewing room. Not ready for prime time IMHO.

Do I have bad hardware?
    Is this an HDMI issue?
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

EDIT: Based on reading everyone's posts, I am going to unhook my AM21. menu reset and see how things go.

10. gulfwarvet

Mar 7, 2007

yes, trick play with OTA doesn't hold up to par with me. however, i will still use the AM21 and deal with the issue for the time being. I'm sure DIRECTV is aware of this issue and is working on a fix.

11. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Agreed but I am talking about trick play (pirmarily 30 SEC SKIP) during all SD playback.

I have since unhooked my AM21. I have also enabled 480i and disabled 480p. I'll report back.

Do you have native on? If so, what resolutions do you have enabled? Just curious.

12. gulfwarvet

Mar 7, 2007
    Aw. the 30skip stutter on SD programs? i have seen this issue on the R22-200 and that does not have the AM21.

on my HR23 i only have 1080i and 1080p active nothing else.

13. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    OTA trick play has been an issue for a while now. On my HR21-100 as well as the HR23.

I did have some issues with the HR23 using id 00003 IR code on my MX810. I reprogrammed the second ID and moved the HR23 back to 00001 and everything is pretty good.

Although I have some regular SD SLs, I don't use Skip too often and haven't noticed any problems.

Maybe I'll take a look at it over the next couple of days.

Mike

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I don't know that I've recorded much SD stuff on any of my HR2x's, much less the HR23.

As for OTA, yes there can be trickplay issues with recordings off the AM21, but they're the same issues I've encountered with the HR21. I really only use the AM21 for my local PBS station and only record a few shows a month. So it's nothing extensive and the delays have never been longer than say 3 seconds, usually less.

I use natvie off, all resolutions selected but set at 1080i, use stretch for SD content and use 30-sec skip (not slip).

My overall experience has been very positive.

15. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Based on your responses I am wondering if it's an issue with 480p for some reason. I disabled 480p and I haven't been able to recreate the issue. I also disconnected my AM21 but I don't think that is to blame.

16. MercurialIN

MercurialIN Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    So far my biggest issues with the HR 23 have been that I really haven't felt the picture quality in this unit is on par with the first one we tested.

Secondly the unit is extremely sluggish responding to the remote. I am going to try changing batteries again in the remote and see if that helps even a little. I've never experienced that extreme sluggishness with any other DVR I've had other then the first HR 23.

I had no prior experience with the AM 21 so don't know if that figures into the sluggishness or not. But it's in everything I do using the remote, it generally takes hitting the key twice if not three times to get any response from the HR 23.

I love the look of the unit, the larger hard drive and it was easy to install even for a total novice such as myself, that doesn't have the greatest eyesight or dexterity.

I am hoping the picture quality and the sluggishness might be taken care of with a software download some day. If so I would not hesitate to recommend the unit and if it wasn't cost prohibitive for me, I would like to get another one some day when/if my HR 20-700 "crosses over".

The HR 23 being my secondary DVR doesn't get the constant workout my HR 20 does but still and all it (the HR 23) is an impressive unit. I'm very grateful that Directv allowed me to participate. I'd be delighted to be considered for any further tests in the future. Thank you.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Field testing isn't over yet, folks. We're in the long-term test phase, where we see how the DVR does with repeated use. Please keep reporting... it's appreciated!

18. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Absolutely Stuart. I will keep posting until this forum is locked for sure.

My box has been quite stable, and I haven't had much to report, but will keep doing it as appropriate! :)

19. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Pretty hard to report problems when it keeps on working.

Bob