1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Aug 30, 2013.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    So first let me tell you my set up. i have 4 receivers, one is a genie hr44 but 6 tvs.. I have a few questions. First is there a way to mirror one of the tvs to another and still have it come thru in HD? i used to do this to a tube tv so it wasnt a problem, but not sure about keeping the HD picture to the HD tv.

Second, I was thinking i may need another reciever. if i request one, would you think i would get an HR24. i already have one but the others are 22s. or would i be better off getting a client. I have 11 tuners as is and dont need more, but can i request a client or do i need to buy one first?

third, would it benefit me at all if i had one of the samsung tvs that work with DTV as an rvu. I am in the middle of purchasing some tvs and was wondering if i got a samsung on the list if it would help my situation out at all.

Thanks.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    1. you can do it two ways. an HDMI powered splitter and have two HDMI connected TV, or run one TV with component and one with HDMI

2.DirecTV does not guarantee model numbers. so it can be anything. what type of receiver to get depends on what type of use you will be given to this TV

3. It will ease the installation by not requiring a box

3. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    thanks.

1. would this HDMI cable need to run from one tv all the way to the other tv?
    2. i have 11 tuners now so should i try to get a client and how would i do this?
    3. so the samsung tv will not need a box. would it just take one of the genies tuners? would i still need a client with this tv.

thanks for helping.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    1) No from the DIRECTV receiver to the HDMI splitter and from there two cables to both TVs

2) The Genie mini clients do not require tuners and hook up just like a receiver as a branch of the SWiM satellite coax. I think DIRECTV will install them if you can't handle it.

3) No an RVU TV will not require a tuner, but will need a wired CCK to connect and communicate over the coax network.

Though I haven't heard many good performance reviews of the RVU capable TVs however.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you are buying new TVs anyway I would definitely recommend at least considering the Samsung or Sony RVU TVs. I installed two UN32F5500 TVs at my parent's house last weekend and have them set up to use RVU with their HR44 and they work pretty great in my opinion (I only got to use them for about an hour though).

The worst that would happen is you may decide you aren't happy with their performance and you can add a DirecTV box instead.

One thing to make sure you realize though, the RVU TVs will cost the same $6/month as having a DirecTV receiver hooked up to a TV in the same location. They don't really save you any money (except a bit on your electric bill since you don't have to power a receiver/client box).

This was true in the past, but with this years new Samsungs at least I will say I think they perform pretty dang well. I would put them on par with my HR21 and HR22 that I have at home in terms of speed overall. They are a little laggy to bring up the guide or to switch channels, but once you are in the guide I think they actually work better than my HR21 and HR22 at home. I also believe from what I have read on here that the HR44 makes the clients less sluggish then when using the HR34 as the RVU server.

6. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    thanks. so dont get a tv base on that? i think i will get a 5th receiver or client, whatever they will give me. i just need to figure out the splitter situation for the 6th tv.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I think this is a bit confusing although I know you know better. An RVU TV will in fact take a tuner from a Genie when streaming live TV

8. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    well with 6 tvs and 4 boxes I will need to do something. splitters seem to be about $50-200 depending on the kind. so maybe I will only mirror one tv and get another box. what I am doing is putting 3 tvs on the wall in my basement. the wall behind is unfinished so mounting and cables will be easy. the tvs will be recessed into the walls. two problems I am running into is the tvs cant all be the same because of the remotes. unless I get a harmony. not sure how that will work with directv though. and that all my boxes are different and will kind of look silly unless I hide them in a cabinet.

I have an hr44, hr24 and 2 hr 22s.

any ideas or suggestions.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you want three different channels in the basement at the same time you will definitely need 3 receivers. Whether they are DVRs, clients, HD receivers is up to you

10. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010

11. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    yeah. I know if I want it to be different it needs one of those. was just going to mirror a tv in our family room. trying to do this with displaying too many receivers if at all possible.

12. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    anyone used a harmony remote or any kind of remote that will work with 3 tvs and how does it work with Directv?

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There are a lot of users here that use the Harmony remotes and most seem to like them. I've never really heard of any big complaints.

- Merg

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Beside the HUGE prices... !rolling

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Beside the HUGE prices... !rolling

And the reason I don't have one!

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

16. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    can someone explain how the hdmi splitter works. and what will I need? Im trying to just mirror a receiver in another room. I used to do this with a modulator but would only put out SD. I need HD signal.

thanks

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And DMI splitter will do just what the name says, it will split or provide two HDMI outputs out of one HMDI output from your satellite receiver. powered HDMI splitter are usually better because they tend to keep the HDMI hand shake alive when one of the TV's is off.

18. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    Unless the TV's are all the same and model and using the same input for Directv, I'm not too sure on how a Harmony remote is going to help you.

I haven't tried this myself with my Harmony, but maybe you can have three different setup in the remote for the different tv's <shrug>.

19. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    DirecTV receivers can be individually controlled by using different IR or RF codes on the remotes. TV sets however depend on whether the particular model of TV permits any variations in remote control, and I don't know that any/many do. I don't have a Harmony, so cannot speak to what it is capable (or not) of doing in that regard.

20. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I wouldn't even care if both tvs had to be on. its usually only used when sports are on and my wife is upstairs watching it. I don't even need to be able to control that tv from both places. just the one. and mirror it to my basement.