Some more tidbits for all testers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - SWMLine Discussion (private)' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) No one is to throw out or get rid of any parts they don't need or they think are defective.

If you think they are defective, we will work with DirecTV to get them back to them so they can test them out.... that goes for EVERY part in the SWM combinatons (LNB, Dish, PI)

2) Those that got a signal tester.... use it... after setting up your dish... test out the tester at all the wired in jacks/wires in the house, and note your results.... this tool is going to be similar to what installers will eventually receiver.

If you are done with it... and are not going to use it again... we can make arrangements to see if those that don't have a tester, can get it from you... so we can share the testers, since there are only limited ones out there.

3) The PI is 100% definently an indoor installation only device... it is not rated to deal with all the possible outdoor weather conditions.

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Do weather conditions also apply to temprature?

I would like to put the PI in the garage where the wires come into the house(understanding the distance requirements from the dish) and it will get as cold as it is outside.

Mike

3. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I have seen a max temperature of 55C... I have not seen a low.

So if your garage doesn't get sub-artic cold... I would suspect that it will be okay.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    For those in southern climates, 55°C is only 131°F and it's a fair bet an attic can get hotter than that. Please plan appropriately.

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    We get into the teens alot but rarely below 10°F.

Mike

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Most parts are speced for -40 degrees C so you should be good, especially if it is running, which will provide some heat to the components.

7. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Roger that and understand all. I will put a note book together to capture the data to transcribe here.

8. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Ok so here in Fla. maybe my attic isn't the best place for the PI. So it will have to be in the house at the back of the TV on the power strip. Here it gets about 100' during the summer and i'll bet the attick may get well over the 55C max on it.

9. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I wouldn't put mine in the attic down here. I have it near one of my DVRs, and have both on a UPS.

10. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006

Earl,

Is the SWM tester that wil be supplied the same as what we had for the SWM5. If so, I may have an extra one I could send on to someone else.

Bob

11. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Similar problem here in Arizona. Outdoor temp easily gets to 115 deg. Attic temps can get to 160+ deg. Mine is inside behind the receiver tied to the UPS.

Bob

12. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Earl, I just received the SWMline hardware today and the SWM testers are different, though they may functoin the same. The original SWM tester is a model SEM01 and has several more lights providing more details to the SWM status. The new SWM tester is model SIM01 and appears to be basically a go-nogo type of line tester. I won't be able to compare them until Saturday. I'll let you know then if I am able to send one of them on to another tester.

Bob

13. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Yeah, but its a dry heat...except in July and August, when the monsoon flows. :lol:

14. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    My oven is dry heat, but I'm not moving in there. :grin:

15. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    I lived in Tucson for 12 years and loved it, but it wore me out and I don't want to go back...130 on the flight line and the aircraft were even hotter and I had to put my hands inside them to remove parts. My hands got tough real quick, I can't imagine it now, I'm such a puss now.

16. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Well thats good to know. :lol:

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    One was an engineering tester, the other an installation tester.

18. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Since attic installations have been mentioned for PI's, I checked mine and it's rated for 32-125 degrees F (0-52 C). This won't handle Chicago's cold and probably won't handle Chicago's heat either.

19. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    That's why they invented air conditioning.:lol: :lol:

Bob

20. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Yep, I had a Swamp Cooler and during the monsoon it would be murder to deal with the heat. ;) :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.