Something seems to be going on with Dish (credits)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rosthol, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    i have had a forty dollar credit for the past year with Dish that ended this year.

For some reason that type of a deal isn't available anymore.

They are trying to talk me into going to a lower package for only a ten dollar credit.

I am looking for pricing for Dish packages and seem to have a hard time finding them on their web site.

Why is that?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH isn't known for high dollar credits. I'm surprised you got one last year.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    I have been with them for thirteen years so I am sure that helps.

I just think there is a merger or they will be bought by someone else.

No yearly commitments sounds fishy to me.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I got a $20/month for a year in Nov. Now with the rate increase $25, but who knows, it may be the last with rates rising. But now with streaming on the rise, I may move to that if my credit is not renewed. I have been with Dish since 1999.

crodrules likes this.
  5. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Unfortunately streaming is not an option for me.

At best I get 15 meg at my router.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    When I had 12Mb DSL service I had no problem streaming HD video. HD takes about 5Mb

7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Yep, I'm streaming from STIRR right now with a 7 Mbps cell data signal. I haven't noticed any buffering yet...

8. les.warden

les.warden New Member

May 4, 2018
    Same. I only have 15Mbps via wireless to the house. I’ve even streamed 4K movies over our AppleTV device. YMMV.

9. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    Maybe I might have to give it a whirl.

All I need is a fire stick right?

My tv's are not smart tv's though.

My oldest television is Ten years old.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    You can always convert your firestick or Roku over to Composite as Amazon sell them for old sets. I use one and it works great, if only in SD.

11. les.warden

les.warden New Member

May 4, 2018
    Fire stick will work. There are others too. I use AppleTV but have used a fire stick. One that I really liked, and seemed intuitive to operate for me, was a Roku. Good luck on your research.

crodrules likes this.
  12. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Do any of your TV's have an HDMI port? If they do, you need nothing more than the Firestick or Roku and the supplied USB power supply.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    les.warden and crodrules like this.
  13. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    They both have Multiple HDMI ports.

14. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    You're all set for then. The fun part comes in deciding which apps and services you want to use... ;)

crodrules likes this.
  15. Rosthol

Rosthol Member

Jan 23, 2020
    So when I leave Dish they won't want my receivers/DVR back because they are old technology.

Can I still replay what is on them?

16. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Not if they are de-activated. You have to still be connected with Dish to play the material.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Maybe. Some have reported that content stops playing if the receiver does not see a satellite signal for a month. If it is still connected to the satellite dish when you end your account expect it to be disabled. Results may vary, but I would not count on viewing the content after cancelling.

18. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    It varies by receiver model, and it may even depend on which generation of Smart Card is in your receiver. As others have said, if you leave your receiver disconnected from the satellite signal long enough, it will completely lose its authorization. So, make sure you leave your receiver connected to the satellite signal to make sure that you can still use it. I have an old 512 that was left disconnected too long, so it acts like the events will not play. Even then, I found a work-around. When I start playing each event, it is only a black screen with no audio. However, I can fast forward through the event at 300x speed. Toward the end of the event, video will return. After that, the next time I play the event, it will work properly.

19. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    mw:
    How did you get the extra 5$?
    I have a small discount, but never got the 5$ extra. [price increase]
    was it automatic, or did you have to call?

I too stream, you would think as streaming grows, Dish would be more agreeable about discounts, especially long term costumers. Dish appears to be getting increasingly stingy which is a shame, because when I first signed up 10 years ago, dish was very accommodating with almost ALL of it's services. THAT is why I stayed. They seem to have changed their business model somewhat, and satellite tv is losing out to streaming. shame.

One other thing, in this dark crisis time, you would think dish would provide LOCALS free of charge so everyone has access to news.
    I have an antenna, so I'm not affected. lots of people could use the break until this is over.
    This is one example of "stingy".
    I mean until this is OVER, not a "free preview for 2 weeks.

20. crodrules

crodrules Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    I did think of that as soon as Dish started providing the free previews of the national news channels, since the locals are the best source of news from your local area that might actually affect you. Part of the issue with that, as you already pointed out, is that many people already use an antenna to receive their locals for free. In fact, Dish encourages customers to use this option to save money. So, the number of people who would benefit from the free preview (people in fringe areas who cannot get reliable OTA reception, much like myself) would be relatively small.

The other factor is that Dish contractually cannot unilaterally decide which channels to put in free preview. That has to be negotiated with the channel owners. This is why the free previews of the national news channels were slowly phased in as new temporary agreements with the channel owners were reached to allow them, instead of launching all of those previews at the same time. This is also why these previews could not be announced in advance, since Dish did not have the right to put them in preview until each new agreement was reached.

So, for the local channels, it would be a logistical nightmare to negotiate all of the agreements that would be necessary to do that nationwide. Remember, Dish cannot selectively allow access to just some of the channels in the market without providing all of the other local channels that they carry in that market. So, Dish would have to have an agreement with every channel owner in the market to allow the free preview, before any of those locals could be provided for free. If Dish even attempted to do this, it would likely result in only certain markets being able to get the locals preview right away, while other markets were still being held up by one or more station owners. People in the markets where the locals were not yet free would likely cry foul at the unfairness of this (and rightfully so) so this approach would not work. If Dish instead decided to wait until they had an agreement in place with every channel owner in the entire country, before starting the preview anywhere, then one channel owner in one market could hold up the free preview for the entire country. Therefore, it is not practical to even try to negotiate the rights to do this.

However, subscribers who want to save the money that they are spending on satellite-delivered locals, while still having access to them, can do exactly what I do. Locals are a Channel Pack that can be added and removed as often as you want, without any Programming Change Fee. So, just add the locals each morning, and then drop them again before midnight. The prorated charge and prorated credit offset each other, so the locals are free for that day. Lather, rinse, and repeat this the next day, and so on. For this process, it is best to register your account with mydish.com so you can make the changes online. If you keep calling to add and remove locals each day, Dish might get tired of you constantly calling, and shut off your service entirely. ;)

satcrazy likes this.