1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic Tap and Pandora Bitrate ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JohnBoy, Aug 6, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I love having choices and having Pandora combined with Sonic Tap is a great experiance when I'am bored and just want to listen to good music.

I listen to said stations on a 7.1 Mirage omnisat V2 setup powered by a Sony Es reciever and I was just curious if anyone has measured the bitrate (128,256,320)?

The audio quality seems really good as I'am using coax.

Also are some Sonic stations like the more popular Today's Hits,Classic Rock have more added bandwidth than others?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Pandora website will reveal bitrates with a bit of digging. I went to the pay service mostly for that reason. I don't know what Sonic puts out, but glad you asked the question!

3. Carroll A

Carroll A Cool Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I may be wrong but I remember someone saying one time the sonictap channels streamed at 96: kilobytes per second

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using DBSTalk mobile app

4. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    What did you do to the receiver to make the Sonic channels sound good? They are notorious for extremely poor audio quality, I can't stand them.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sonic Tap (DMX) TRANSMITS their music using MP3-320 files. I have no idea at what bitrate DirecTV rebroadcasts these channels but they sound pretty darn good to me-even on a high end stereo system. Unlike SiriusXM, all of the music channels on DirecTV are transmitted at the same bitrate.

One exception is the classical music channels. These channels are still using geniune CD's and as a result you may notice a much higher quality (and also occasional skipping and a few seconds of the next selection before being cut off). :listening

6. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    The sound quality of SonicTap is much better than the super-compressed sound you get from Sirius/XM's satellites, but it's not quite CD quality.

I don't know about the transmission bitrate, but I've captured SonicTap from my DirecTV receiver digitally, and used Adobe Audition to analyze the frequency response. There's nothing above 16khz. If you compare it to a CD audio rip, you'll typically see 20khz or higher. So I assume they're using a 32khz sample rate.

I don't think DMX is at fault, it was the same way back when Sirius/XM provided the music.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's fine with me. At my age I doubt if I can even HEAR anything above 15kHz!

Of note is that FM broadcast stations cut off their audio at 15kHz also. They have to if they have stereo because the stereo pilot carrier is at 19 kHz. I'm not sure of the frequency response of so-called "HD radio" which uses the Ibiquity system to add digital subbands to the analog FM signal.