1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony BDP-CX960 (400 BD changer)

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by wilbur_the_goose, Dec 7, 2009.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Wow - what a nice unit - plays amost everything outside DVD-Audio disks... Space 400 for discs.

BD performance is fantastic and DVDs look great too.

LAN connection goes to Gracenote to find disc information.

Price? Under $600!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I dont believe there has ever been a Sony product that supported DVD-Audio, but more to the point it doesnt even seem to support their own format-SACD.....way to go Sony.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found mention of SACD support at a separate review site, I couldnt find it on the product page at Sony though...

EDIT, EDIT: IT appears it does NOT have SACD support...I stand uncorrected to my correction...

:lol:

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  4. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I bought it for $799 at 6th Ave Electronics in Wilmington, DE on Saturday. Went back on Sunday with the amazon.com price of $591 and they quickly matched the price.

I was very impressed with 6th Ave and the new player.

We were going to forgo Christmas gifts this year, but this price was amazing and it'll bring new life back to my DVD collection (and nascent BD collection).

FWIW, I have mine connected with component and the PQ on my ISF callibrated display is nothing short of amazing. It's better than the PS3 I was using for BD, which I'm now going to sell.

5. thomas_d92

thomas_d92 AllStar

Nov 29, 2004
    I just loaded 230 blu-rays into my 960 and it found all but 10 titles in the database. I entered them manually. It sure is nice to put my blu-ray titles on the screen instead of going to my storage rack and looking for something to watch. Now when I am into music I can play a track or two from one concert blu-ray and go on to the next blu-ray without having to get up and search for a blu-ray disc. My alregion modified OPPO-BD-83 will now be used for region 2 play blu-ray, all region dvd ,sacd, and hd-audio play. I also have a Sony 995 changer for dvd play. I cannot see using space in my 960 to play regular dvd,s. I am impressed with the picture quality of the 960 . It appears to be equal to the OPPO on blu-ray play.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That is a massive piece of equipment. I wish it fit into my plans, that's for sure.

7. quickfire

quickfire Godfather

Nov 13, 2003
    Stuart.....your right on it being massive.....I have the 995 also,I ended up buying a stand alone component rack and put both of them in it.

Its nice knowing you can just flip thru you BD's and just hit play.......I had never owned a stand alone BD player until I bought the 960........I had always used the PS3,it was a GREAT upgrade.

8. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I would like to see some screen shots on the UI and Metadata.

9. brownram

brownram AllStar

Jan 18, 2007
    got mine for $569 shipped off of ebay have been busy burning avchd discs from my hddvr through my hauppauge 1212 . amazing results better than the original pq