1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Considers Internet Rival to Cable TV

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Chris Blount, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Sony Corp. is considering launching an Internet-based alternative to cable-TV service, people familiar with the situation said, posing the latest threat to the cable and satellite operators that dominate pay TV.

More here.

2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Being the capitalist I am, I see this as good news in the long run. IMHO competition is a good thing. In the short run, however, it could hurt if content sources become fragmented while the market sorts things out. I wouldn't want to have to pay 3 or 4 services to be able to get what I can now on 2 (Directv & Netflix). Netflix is already about to lose some content.

And - I don't want to have to pay more for bandwidth in some sort of content war.

Obviously Sony is one of the big boys in the room, so this will be very interesting to watch.

For those who do not subscribe to the WSJ, there is a complete story on this topic here.

3. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    And - I don't want to have to pay more for bandwidth

That could be the next big battle.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Nice catch Chris. Thanks for providing the link with the complete article Athlon646464. I agree this could start a content war. Talk about a monkey with a wrench.

5. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    This is just the tip of the iceberg.